Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Holy Roman Empire (REVAMP - Teil Zwei!)

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Holy Roman Empire (REVAMP - Teil Zwei!)

I don't know if anyone has scholarly knowledge of medieval Germany (especially with regards to military matters), but I'm looking for someone to help me decipher source material, especially that which is written in German, as my own German is very limited and not nearly good enough to read historical material in its original language. Thank you to anyone willing to help me, you may send me a message by PM.

Default Re: Medieval Kingdoms Total War: The Holy Roman Empire (REVAMP - Teil Zwei!)

ZSimmortal, many thanks for your answer, you helped me a lot.

@zsimmortal
    Do you still need help for translations? I have no scholary backround (no study of history or sth. like that, just as hobby for many years), but translating the sources should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenburrg View Post
    @zsimmortal
    Do you still need help for translations? I have no scholary backround (no study of history or sth. like that, just as hobby for many years), but translating the sources should not be a problem.
    No, thank you very much though. Knight2708 has been a huge help and gave me a lot of input on how to structure the faction I'm working on.

I’ve been doing some research on the HRE’s flags, coat of arms and insignia, this is what I found:

Imperial flags during the high Middle Ages (tier 1):

Under the Hohenstaufen the eagle was not actually the symbol of the Empire as a polity, but the personal symbol of the king or emperor that identified him on the battlefield. Instead, the flag of the Empire and the Imperial army was a white cross in red field. This flag originated from the crusades where it was used to distinguish crusaders from Germany and the Empire:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

By contrast, Otto IV appears to have been the first emperor to use the eagle as the Imperial flag, not just as a personal royal symbol. Accounts of the Battle of Bouvines clearly describe the eagle flag being used as the Imperial banner. As the white cross on red was the flag of the Ghibellines, I assume that it was only used by the Hohenstaufen Emperors. When basing the tier 1 HRE roster around the armies of Otto IV they should have the Imperial eagle on their banners.

Imperial flags during the 14th century (tier 2):

During the 14th century the red and white cross banner was used less frequently, as the Luxemburg emperors introduced their own flag for the Empire and Imperial army, apparently inspired by the French Oriflamme. An obviously oversized version can be seen below, first on the right:

During the 14th century, the eagle also became increasingly associated with the Empire itself, rather than only the person of the emperor and was used as the Empire's coat of arms and occasionally as its flag. Ludwig the Bavarian used two eagle banners, one smaller one to designate his person and one larger one to designate the Empire as a whole.
    The red and white cross banner was, however, still used occasionally and is sporadically mentioned even in the 15th century.
    For tier 2 I would suggest a roughly even split between the cross banner, the eagle banner and the red and yellow Luxemburg-Imperial banner.

Reichssturmfahne: The flag of the Vorstreit (vanguard) of the Imperial army. The right to head the Vorstreit was claimed as a traditional prerogative by the knighthood of Swabia. In 1336 the counts of Württemberg secured the hereditary right to carry the Reichssturmfahne and to lead the Vorstreit. Count Eberhard II of Württemberg commanded the Vostreit in Emperor Karl IV's 1347 victory over anti-king Günther XXI von Schwarzburg-Blankenburg at Eltville. The flag seems to have fallen out of use by the 15th century, featuring only as a princely symbol as a part of the ducal arms of Württemberg when it was raised to a duchy in 1495.
    The Imperial
    Vorstreit led by the count of Württemberg carrying the Reichssturmfahne could be a unique heavy cavalry unit in tier 2, similar to the Great banner of Krakow for Poland.

Imperial flags during the 15th century (tier 3):

In the 15th century Sigismund introduced the double-headed eagle as the Empire’s coat of arms and flag. This represented the duality of the emperor and Empire and the dual secular and religious role of the emperor. The one-headed eagle was still used as the symbol of the king of the Romans before he had been crowned as emperor.
    During his war against Frederick IV of Austria-Tyril, Sigismund sent the old Imperial cross banner to his aliies the Swiss Confederates as a sign of his support. The Swiss thereafter adopted the cross as their own banner and the double-headed eagle became the sole flag of the Empire.

Sankt Georgenfahne/Jörgensfahne/St. Georgsfahne (Flag of St. George):
    In the fifteenth century the cross of St. Georg became increasingly associated with the Empire and Im perial knighthood. T
    he Swabian knightly Society of St. George’s Shield was founded early in the century and the red cross on white was also a common symbol of the Imperial armies that fought in the Hussite Wars under Emperor Sigismund. This symbol of a Christian Saint may have become increasingly associated with the Empire thereafter, as a mark of differentiation from the Empire's perceived main enemies the heretical Hussites and the Muslim Ottomans.
    St. George was also among the chief
    personal patron saints of Emperor Friedrich III who also founded a personal chivalric Order of Saint George in his Austrian hereditary lands. As an aristocratic symbol, the red cross of St. George may also have become a way for the Habsburgs to differentiate themselves from the white cross adopted by their Swiss enemies.
    The Imperial army led by Friedrich III to relieve Neuss in 1475 fought under the banner of St. George and every soldier was ordered to wear a patch with the red Cross of St. George on white. Patches with the
    Cross of St. George, similar to the ones with the Hunyadi CoA used by the Hungarian tier 3 units, could be used for the HRE tier 3 units.
    Who would be allowed to carry the Flag of St. George was a contested question during the campaign. The emperor ultimately reached a compromise with the nobles, according to which the right to carry the flag would rotate between a Swabian and Franconian noble from campaign to campaign. The first to be designated to carry the flag was a Swabian, Count Eberhard of Württemberg, with the Franconian nobles electing one of their number as captain of a company to accompany the banner carrier. This company appears to have acted as something of a vanguard to the Imperial army, similar to the older Vostreit in which the count of Württemberg had also served as banner carrier.

Reichsrennfahne: Origninally, this flag was meant to designate the person of the Imperial marshall on the battlefield, either the Imperial archmarshall, the prince-elector of Saxony, or the hereditary Imperial deputy marshall of the von Pappenheim family.
    The privilege of carrying the flag could also be granted to different commanders, contingents, or individuals within the Imperial army as a battleflag, rather than designating a specific person. In 1475 this honour was granted to the contingents of the leading free and Imperial cities of
    Augsburg, Köln, Straßburg, Frankfurt am Main, Nürnberg, and Ulm who were each allowed to fly it for a day on a rotating basis.
    Reichsrennfahne:

General note on flags in Imperial armies:

The Imperial flag was flown on the battlefield by reoops under the direct personal command of the emperor or by those commmanded by his personally appointed captains or deputies.

The troops of the Imperial princes and ttheir captains would fly their own banners.

As cities were increasingly granted their own aems from the 13th century onward, their contingents, too, negan marching under their own flags from at least the later 14th century onward. In 1389, for instance, Frankfurt am Main sent troops flying the city's banner to fight at the battle of Eschborn.
    Troops of the free city of Strassburg marching to war with their banners, late 15th century:

The Imperial banner was thus only one among several others that would have been used by the contingents making up the Imperial army.
    The Imperial army encamped near Neuss in 1475, flying multiple Imperial and princely flags of various shapes and sizes:

Last edited by Knight2708; March 14, 2022 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight2708 View Post
    I’ve been doing some research on the HRE’s flags, coat of arms and insignia, this is what I found:

During the high Middle Ages the eagle was not actually the symbol of the Empire as a polity, but the personal symbol of the king or emperor that identified him on the battlefield. Instead, the flag of the Empire and the Imperial army was a white cross in red field. This flag originated from the Crusades where it was used to distinguish crusaders from Germany and the Empire:

During the 14th century the red and white cross banner was used less frequently, as the Luxemburg emperors introduced their own flag for the Empire and Imperial army, apparently inspired by the French Oriflamme. An obviously oversized version can be seen below, first on the right:

During the 14th century, the eagle also became increasingly associated with the Empire itself, rather than only the person of the Emperor and was used as the Empire's
    coat of arms and occasionally flag. Louis the Bavarian used two eagle banners, one smaller one to designate his person and one larger one to designate the Empire as a whole.
    The red and white cross banner was, however, still used occasionally and is sporadically mentioned even in the 15th century.
    In the 15th century Sigismund introduced the the double-headed eagle as the Empire’s coat of arms and flag. This represented the duality of the Emperor and Empire and the dual secular and religious role of the Emperor. The one-headed eagle was still used as the symbol of the King of the Romans before he had been crowned as Emperor.
    The Habsburgs under Friedrich III made increasing use of the red cross of St. George, perhaps due to their association with the Swabian knightly Society of St. George’s Shield and/or as differentiation from the white cross used by their Swiss enemies. The Imperial army led by Friedrich III to relieve Neuss in 1475 fought under the banner of St. George and every soldier was ordered to wear a patch with the red Cross of St. George on white. Red crosses are also mentioned as being worn by the Imperial armies that fought in the Hussite Wars under Emperor Sigismund. Patches with the Cross of St. George, similar to the ones with the Hunyadi CoA used by the Hungarian tier 3 units, could be used for the HRE tier 3 units.

Other flags:

Reichsrennfahne: was carried by the Imperial Archmarshall the Prince-Elector of Saxony or the Imperial Marshall von Pappenheim who rode at the side of the Emperor. The Marshall von Pappenheim with the Reichsrennfahne could be added to the bodyguard unit of the tier 2 and tier 3 Emperor.
    Reichsrennfahne:

As part of the Electoral Saxon CoA:

As part of the von Pappenheim CoA:

Reichssturmfahne: The flag of the Vorstreit (vanguard) of the Imperial army. The Vorstreit was traditionally reserved as a privilege to the knighthood of Swabia. In 1336 the Counts of Württemberg secured the right to carry the Reichssturmfahne and to lead the Vorstreit. The Imperial Vorstreit with the Reichssturmfahne led by the Count of Württemberg could potentially be a unique heavy cavalry unit in tier 2 and 3, similar to the Great banner of Krakow for Poland.

later version with two-headed eagle:

That is some awesome findings Knight.

Will the updated imperial roster join the next updates, or are there still some areas where there is unsatisfaction?

I think the new Austrian units look pretty nice

Some CoAs that could be used for tier 1:

Member of the retinue of Emperor Otto IV at the battle of Bouvines (for the emperor's bodyguard unit):
    Otto I, count of Tecklenburg:

Bernhard “the good” von Horstmar:

Konrad I, count of Dortmund:

Gunzelin von Wolfenbüttel, steward and ministerialis of Otto IV:

I also found a good description of the Imperial standard at Bouvines by William the Breton, an eyewitness at Bouvines:
    On a chariot, he has a pole raised around which a dragon is curled which can be seen far away from all sides, its tail and wings bloated by the winds, showing its terrifying teeth and opening its enormous mouth. Above the dragon hovers Jupiter's bird with golden wings while the whole of the surface of the chariot, resplendent with gold, rivals the sun and even boasts of shining with a brighter light.
    Could make for a cool Carroccio-style unit for the HRE.

Cities:

The majority of the Lower Rhinish cities that supported Otto simply used the Imperial eagle as their CoA at this time, there are, however, also a few unique ones that could be used:
    Braunschweig:

Lüneburg:
    https://heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywi...eburg.hagd.jpg

Göttingen:

Remagen:

Major Princes (can be used on flags, generic generals and Fussknecht shields):

Dietrich I. von Hengebach, archbishop-elector of Cologne:

Wilhelm III., count of Jülich:

Heinrich V, count palatine of the Rhine, Imperial vicar:

Wilhelm, duke of Lüneburg:

Last edited by Knight2708; February 04, 2022 at 10:26 AM.

Heraldry for tier 1, part 2:

Noble followers of Otto IV (for the knightly units):
    Bernhard II, Count of Wölpe:

Albrecht I, Lord/Count of Arnstein:

Hermann II, Lord of Lippe:

Herman IV, Lord of Lobdeburg:

Ludolf II, Count of Hallermund:

Helmold II, Lord of Plesse:

Balduin I., Count of Bentheim, bailiff of Wietmarschen and Werseloe:

Heinrich II, Count of Regenstein:

Balduin II von Wenden/Dahlum, Ministerialis:

Later version of his family’s coat of arms, the 13th century version which I unfortunately could not find picture of did not have the leaves

Albrecht III, Count of Wernigerode:

Heinrich von Colditz:

Heinrich III, Bailiff of Weida:

Heinrich von Drachenfels:

Hermann I von Schönburg:

Counts of Wöltingerode-Wohldenberg:

Philipp II, Count of Namur:

Wilhelm I, Count of Holland:

Last edited by Knight2708; July 06, 2021 at 02:13 PM.

Heraldry for tier 3, part 1:
    Members of the Imperial army that Frederick III led to lift the siege of Neuss in 1475

Personal retainers of Emperor Friedrich III, use for the emperor's bodyguard unit:
    Haug XI, count of Werdenberg-Trochtelfingen-Sigmaringen-Heiligenberg, councilor, orator and advocate of the emperor, supreme steward, master of ceremonies and Stäbelmeister of the imperial court, district governor of Steyr:
    Ulrich, count of Werdenberg-Trochtelfingen-Sigmaringen-Heiligenberg, Fürschneider, servant and court familiar of the emperor, co-lord of Königsfeld:

Heinrich Vogt von Summerau, (deputy) marshall of the emperor's court:

Stephan, count palatine of Simmern-Zweibrücken-Veldenz, custodian and treasurer of the Cologne cathedral chapter, emperor's councilor, commissioner and deputy appeals judge for the Cologne high court, pledge-holder of Erpel and Worringen, district governor of Zons:

Johann, count of Barby-Mühlingen, emperor's councilor:

Eberhard I, count of Waldburg-Sonnenberg:

Wilhelm Vitovec, count of Seger:

Imperial field captains, use for generic generals and Fussknecht Spiesser shields:

Albrecht Achilles, margrave of Ansbach and Kulmbach, margave and prince-elector of Brandenburg, burggrave of Nürnberg, councillor and court master of the emperor, supreme Imperial field captain:
    Uniform colour: grey or black

Adolf II von Nassau-Wiesbaden-Idstein, archbishop-elector of Mainz, Imperial chancellor and cameral judge, supreme Imperial field captain:
    Uniform colour: red

Albrecht III von Wettin, duke of Saxony, margrave of Meißen, eternal governor of Frisia, Imperial field captain:

Heinrich III, Landgrave of Hessen, emperor's bailiff and warden of the archbishopric of Cologne, Imperial field captain:
    Uniform colour: red or blue

Major Principalities, use for flags and Fussknecht Spieeser shields:
    Margraviate of Ansbach:

Landgraviate of Hessen:

County of Württemberg:
    Uniform colour: red, yellow or black

Lesser principalities and lordships, use for Fussknecht Spiesser shields:
    Prince-bishopric of Münster:
    Uniform colour: green

Prince-archbishopric of Bremen:
    Uniform colour: green

Margraviate of Ansbach, alternate arms:

Archbishopric-electorate of Mainz:

Margraviate of Baden:

Prince-bishopric of Eichstätt:

Prince-bishopric of Bamberg:
    Uniform colour: red or yellow

Prince-bishopric of Würzburg:

Prince-bishopric of Augsburg:

Prince-bishopric of Strassburg:

Prince-abbey of Kempten:

Prince-abbey of Ellwangen:
    Uniform colour: red or white

Principality of Henneberg(-Aschach)-Römhild:

County of Katzenelnbogen:

Count of Sulz:

Count of Hohenlohe(-Weikersheim):
    Uniform colour: red or black

County of Nassau-Wiesbaden.Idstein:

County of Hanau(-Münzenberg):

County of Isenburg-Büdingen:
    Uniform colour: red or black

County of Oettingen:

County of Schwarzburg
    :

Lordship of Waldburg(-Zeil):
    Uniform colour: red, yellow or black

Last edited by Knight2708; October 24, 2022 at 07:11 PM.

Heraldry for Tier 3, Part 2:
    Lesser captains, banners, and banner carriers

Unit officers, for all units:
    Rudolf Marschall von Pappenheim, hereditary Imperial deputy marshal, emperor's councillor, imperial (deputy) magistrate of Donauwörth and Weißenburg im Nordgaucaptain of the Imperial troops auf den Steinen:

Richard Gramann von Nickenich, Imperial captain of Linz, Erpel, Unkel, and Königsfeld:

Sigmund, baron of Seinsheim-Schwarzenberg and Hohenlandsberg, captain of the emperor, the margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach, and the Imperial cities:

Philipp, count of Katzenelnbogen, captain of the emperor, the landgrave of Hessen, and the cities:

Alwig X, count of Sulz, landgrave of Klettgau, emperor's councillor, captain of the emperor and the counts of Württemberg:

Princely banner carriers, use for princely units: Landsturm, Landsturms Armbrustschützen, Fussknechte, Fussknecht Spiesser, Reisige, Ritter, Dismounted Ritter:
    Electorate of Mainz:
    Flag:

Banner carrier: Adolf III, count of Nassau-Wiesbaden.Idstein, servant and court familiar of the emperor, cousin and field captain of the archbishop-elector of Mainz:

Margraviate of Ansbach:
    Banner carrier: Otto IV
    , proncely counts of Henneberg(-Aschach)-Römhild, supreme field captain of the margrave of Ansbach:

Landgraviate of Hessen:
    Banner carrier: Gerhard II, count of Sayn, Imperial steward of the Vehmic courts, councillor and field captain of the landgrave of Hessen:

County of Württemberg:
    Banner carrier
    : Kraft VI, count of Hohenlohe-Weikersheim, son-in-law and captain of the contingent sent by Count Ulrich V of Württemberg-Stuttgart:

Urban banners and banner-carriers, use for urban units: Bürgerwehr Spiesser, Armbrustschützen, Büchsenschützen, Auszugs Armbrustschützen, Auszugs Büchsenschützen, Auszugs Langspiesser, Reisige:
    Reichsrennfahne:

Banner carrier: Sigmund II von Egloffstein, Imperial magistrate of Nürnberg:

Nürnberg:
    Banner carrier: Gabriel Tetzel, Söldnermeister of Nürnberg:

Strassburg:
    Flag:
    Banner carrier:
    Philipp von Müllenheim:

Augsburg:
    Banner carrier: Jakob von Sulmetingen:

Cologne:
    Banner carrier: Philipp, count of Mark-Arenberg:

Frankfurt am Main:
    Banner carrier: Gernand von Schwalbach:

Ulm:
    Banner carrier: Ulrich von Winkental:

Memmingen;
    Banner carrier: Veit von Rechberg von Hohenrechberg:

Erfurt:
    Banner carrier: Dietrich von Harras:

Welsche Garde:
    Banner:
    Unit officer:
    Wolfgang, count of Fürstenberg, marshal of the imperial court, councilor and chamberlain of the emperor, territorial court master and head of the regency council of the duchy of Württemberg, supreme field captain of the emperor, the Swabian League and the duchy of Württemberg, commander of the Welsche Garde:

Last edited by Knight2708; October 24, 2022 at 06:56 PM.

Heraldry for Tier 3, part 3:

Princely retainers, use for generic general's bodyguards:
    Christoph I, margrave of Baden, (co-)count of Sponheim:

Berthold, princely count of Henneberg(-Aschach)-Römhild, cathedral dean of Mainz, assessor and steward of the emperor's cameral court:

Sigmund II Marschall von Pappenheim, hereditary Imperial deputy marshal, emperor's councillor and commisar:

Ludwig von Eyb, court officer and councillor of the margrave of Ansbach:

Michael III, baron of Seinsheim-Schwarzenberg, advisor of the margrave of Ansbach:

Jörg von Wangenheim, marshall of the margrave of Ansbach:

Lorenz von Schaumberg:

Swabian and Franconian nobles of the company of the flag of St. George, for Sankt Georgenfahne unit:
    Unit officer:
    Wilhelm III, princely count of Henneberg-Schleusingen, empror's councillor and commissioner, captain of the company of the flag of St. George:

Banner carrier:
    Eberhard V im Bart, count of Württemberg-Urach:

Johann III, count of Wertheim:

Michael II, count of Wertheim-Breuberg:

Egon, count of Fürstenberg:

Bernhard, count of Eberstein:

Johann, count of Waldburg-Sonnenberg:

Degenhart, Baron of Gundelfingen:

Hans, lord of (Hinterhohen-)Stoffeln:

Dietrich Speth, master of the household of Eberhard V of Württemberg-Urach::

Lutz von Rotenhan:

Last edited by Knight2708; April 18, 2022 at 05:23 PM.

Heraldry for Tier 3, Part 4:

Cities:

Major cities, use for shields and flags:
    Nürnberg:
    Uniform: red and white mi parti

Alternate arms, for shields only:

Augsburg:
    Uniform: red and white mi parti with green stripe in the middel

Frankfurt am Main:
    Uniform: red with two chevron-shaped markings, one brown, one white, on the left sleeve

Köln:

Straßburg:

Ulm:

Erfurt:
    Uniform: red only

Memmingen:

Cities with the normal imperial egale as their arms:
    Windsheim: red and white mi parti uniform
    Aachen: red and blue mi parti uniform
    Friedberg: red uniform

Other cities, use for shields:
    Lübeck:

Konstanz:

Nördlingen:

Überlingen:
    Uniform: red with brown and green stripes on the left sleeve

Ravensburg:

Biberach:

Dinkelsbühl:

Giengen an der Brenz:

Schwäbisch Gmünd:

Aalen:

Isny im Allgäu:

Buchhorn:

Kaufbeuren:

Leutkirch im Allgäu:

Schwäbisch Hall:

Wimpfen:

Lindau:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber:

Schweinfurt:

Rosheim:

Turckheim:

Oberehnheim:

Hagenau:

Colmar:

Schlettstadt:

St. Gallen:

Basel:
    Uniform: red and blue mi parti

Schaffhausen:

Speyer:

Worms:

Andernach:

Lower German/coastal/Hanseatic cities, could be used for revamped Hanseatic AoR units:
    Bremen:

Hamburg:

Wismar:

And

Münster:

Gröningen:

Mühlhausen:

Last edited by Knight2708; September 06, 2022 at 08:09 AM.

Heraldry for tier 3, part 5:

Nobles:
    Rhenish and West German nobles under the overall command of the archbishop-elector of Mainz:

Philipp I, count of Hanau(-Münzenberg):

Philip II, count of Nassau-Weilburg:

Heinrich IV, count of Nassau-Beilstein:

Philipp, count of Virneburg:

Reinhard IV, lord pf Westerburg:

Friedrich IV, count of Wied-Runkel, hereditary magistrate of Andernach and Wilhelm, lord of Runkel (and Isenburg):

Friedrich and Simon IV Wecker, counts of Zweibrücken-Bitsch, in the contingent sent by the prince-bishop of Straßburg and the retinue of the prince-bishop of Metz, respectively:

Kuno, count of Solms-Lich
    :

Swabian and Franconian nboles, under the command of the margrave of Ansbach:

Ludwig XIII, count of Oettingen-Wallerstein:

Philipp Kämmerer von Weinsberg, hereditary Imperial deputy chamberlain:

Balthasar II, count of Schwarzburg-Leutenberg
    :

Jörg von Vellberg:

Lutz and Veit Schott von Schottenstein:

Retainers of the landgrave of Hessen:

Philipp I. count of Eppstein-Königstein:

Gottfried IX, count of Eppstein-Münzenberg:

Philipp, count of Waldeck:

Otto II, count of Solms-Braunfels:

Other nobles and contingents:

Stoffel von Freyberg, commanded a contigent of 20 cavalrymen sent ny Count Ulrich of Oettingen-Flochberg:

Ludwig IV, count of Helfenstein-Wiesensteig, as part of the contigent sent by Count Ulrich V of Würrtemnerg-Stuttgart:

Eitel Friedrich II, count of Hohenzollern
    , aspart of the contigent sent by Count Ulrich V of Würrtemnerg-Stuttgart:

Georg I, count of Werdenberg-Trochtelfingen-Sigmaringen-Heiligenberg, emperor's councillor, with his retinue and the conzingent sent by his brother Prince-Bishop Johann II of Augsburg:

Georg II Truchsess von Waldburg-Zeil, accompanied the Imperial abbot of Rot an der Rot:

Haug X/XIII, count of Montfort-Tettnang, emperor's councillor, led the contingent sent by Archduke Sigmund of Tyrol:

Hans, count of Lupfen, as part of the the contingent sent by Archduke Sigmund of Tyrol:

Baron of Brandis, as part of the contingent sent by Archduke Sigmund of Tyrol:

Wilhelm, count of Kirchberg-Wullenstetten, accompanied the contingent of the Imperial city of Ulm:

Heinrich, lord of (Hinterhohen-)Stoffeln, accompanied the contingent of the Imperial city of Ulm:

Johann II, count of Nassau-Wiesbaden.Idstein:

Johann, count of Isenburg-Büdingen:

North German nobles:

Waldemar VI, prince of Anhalt-Köthen, commanded the contingent sent by the archbishop of Magdeburg and his own retinue, totaling 500 cavalrymen:

Heinrich IX, Reuß von Plauen, lord of Greiz, in the retinue of Duke Albrecht of Saxony:

Last edited by Knight2708; April 11, 2022 at 05:40 PM.

Heraldry for tier 2, part 1:

Retainers of King Wenzel, for the Emperor's bodyguard unit, can be mixed in with the regular bodyguards with the Imperial CoA:
    Premysl, duke of Teschen, chief judge of the Imperial court tribunal, Relator at the Imperial chancery:

Heinrich VIII., duke of Brieg, Imperial chamber master, judge of the Imperial court tribunal, Relator at the Imperial chancery:

Heinrich von Duba, court master:

Thimo VII von Colditz, lord of Colditz and Eilenburg, pledge-lord of Pirna, lord of Püchau, captain of Silesia Relator at the Imperial chancery:

Lamprecht von Brunn, prince-bishop of Bamberg, emperor's councillor, Imperial chancellor:

Günther, count of Schwarzburg-(Blankenburg)-Sondershausen, Relator at the Imperial chancery, judge of the Imperial court tribunal:

Johann, landgrave of Leuchtenberg, count of Hals. judge of the Imperial court tribunal:

Swabian nobles, for Reichsvorstreit unit:
    Leader and banner-carrier:
    Eberhard II, count of Württemberg, Imperial bailiff in Lower Swabia:

Friedrich III, Dduke of Teck, Landvogt in Franconia and Judge at the Emperor’s Court:

Ulrich V and Ulrich VI, counts of Helfenstein, Imperial bailiffs of Upper Swabia and Augsburg:

Ludwig, count of Oettingen, Imperial bailiff of Augsburg:

Albrecht Schiler and Wilhelm von Rechberg von Hohenrechberg, Imperial magistrates of Ulm:

Lords of Bubenhofen:

Speth fanily:

Johann Jakob von Bodman the elder, emperor's commisssioner:

Burghard von Freyberg:

Lutz von Landau:

Berthold von Stein zu Klingenstein:

Last edited by Knight2708; April 04, 2022 at 05:57 AM.

Heraldry for tier 2, part 2:

Major Principalities, can be used on flags and Fussknecht Spieeser shields:

Burgraviate of Nürnberg:

Landgraviate of Thuringia and margraviate of Meißen:

County of Württemberg:

Lesser principalities and lordships, use fir Fussknecht Spieeser shields:
    Prince-archbishopric of Magdeburg:

Prince-bishopric of Würzburg/duchy of Franconia:

Prince-bishopric of Bamberg:

Prince-bishopric of Strassburg:

Bishopric of Naumburg:

Bishopric of Meißen:

Bishopric of Merseburg:

Landgraviate of Thuringia:

Margraviate of Meißen:

County of Wertheim:

County of Schwarzburg-(Blankenburg):

Lordship of Hohenlohe:

Lordship/bailiwick of Plauen:

Major princes and captains, can be used for generic generals and Fussknecht Spiesser shields:
    Friedrich V, burgrave of Nürnberg, captain of the Imperial peace in Franconia, Imperial bailiff of Alsace and Upper Swabia:

Friedrich II and Balthasar, landgrave of Thüringen, margrave of Meißen:

Ulrich II, landgrave of Leuchtenberg, captain of the Imperial peace in Franconia, emperor's captain in Bavaria, Franconia, and Egerland:

Minor captains, use for unit officers:
    1. Imperial captains, pair with banner carrier carrying Imperial banner can be used for any unit:

Friedrich von Seldeneck, Imperial captain of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, captain of the public peace in Bavaria and Franconia:

Otto III von Lobdeburg-Bergow auf Bilin und Seeberg, emperor's captain in the Vogtland:

Gast von Wartenberg, emperor's captain of Lusatia:

2. Princely captains, use for aristocratic units: Landsturm, Landsturms Armbrustschützen, Fussknechte, Fussknecht Spiesser, Renner, Speerknappen, Glevener, Dismounted Glevener:

von Seckendorf, pair with banner-carrier with burgraviate of Nürnberg flag:

von Bubenhofen, pair with banner carrier with county of Württemberg flag:

3. Urban captains, use for urban units: Bürgerwehr Spiesser, Bürgerwehr Streitäxte, Bogenschützen, Armbrustschützen, Büchsenschützen, Auszugs Armbrustschützen, Renner, Konstafler, Konstafler Streitäxte:

Rudolf von Praunheim-Sachsenhausen, Imperial magistrate of Frankfurt am Main, pair with banner carrier with flag of Frankfurt am Main/Imperial eagle:

Heinz II zum Jungen, Imperial magistrate of Oppenheim, pair with banner carrier with flag of Oppenheim/Imperial eagle:

Heinrich Geuder von Heroldsberg, Imperial magistrate of Nürnberg, pair with banner carrier with flag of the city of Nürnberg:

Cities, aside from the CoAs below, many cities such as Aachen, Frankfurt am Main and Oppenheim used the Imperial eagle as their CoA,:
    Nürnberg, also use the first CoA for flag:
    and

Worms:

Oberehnheim:

Hagenau:

Colmar:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber:

Eger:

Friedberg:

Speyer:

Last edited by Knight2708; April 02, 2022 at 03:00 PM.

Heraldry for tier 2, part 3:

Nobles, for Speerknappen, Glevener, Dismounted Glevener:
    Heinrich von Plauen:

Johann III, count of Sponheim-Starkenburg:

Friedrich Schenk von Limpurg:

Eberhard Fuchs:

Friedrich von Seckendorf von Krenhofen:

Heinrich von Seinsheim:

Heinrich XI and Günther XII von Schwarzburg zu Leutenberg:

Leupold von Nordenberg, hereditary Imperial kitchen master:

Konrad Marschall von Pappenheim, herefitary Imperial deputy marshall:

Friedrich von Heideck:

Johan III von Querfurt-Maidburg-Hardegg, nominal burggrave of Magdeburg, count of Hardegg, lord of Retz:

Gerlach and Götz von Hohenlohe:

Johann, count of Wertheim:

Albrecht II, prince of Anhalt-Zerbst and Waldemar II, prince of Anhalt-Dessau:

Johann I, princely count of Henneberg-Schleusingen:

Wilhelm, count of Katzenelnbogen:

Walram II, count of Zweibrücken-Zweibrücken:

Johann and Imon, lords of Lichtenberg:

Friedrich, lord of Vinstingen:

Heinrich, count of Hohnstein, lord of Sondershausen:

Ulrich, lord of Hanau:

Gottfried von Eppstein (with 30 men at arms):

Johann I, Wildgrave of Dhaun:

Last edited by Knight2708; March 29, 2022 at 11:19 AM.

I see a lot of different coat of arms appearing from time to time, how is the faction developement doing?

The Helfenstein-elephant should look less realistic, more like this:

The name rhymes with Elfenbein (ivory), hence the animal.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast