Thread: Which version of RTR should I install ?

Icon7 Which version of RTR should I install ?

I am a returning player too. I played some RTR years ago and really liked it.
    A few months ago I got Rome TW on Steam in a sale and I have been meaning to get back to it; even thinking I may attempt a Let's Play.
    Thing is, when I played RTR years ago there was just one team and one version. I get the impression that since then a number of different teams have produced different versions of the mod.
    Am I correct in thinking that?
    I guess I am saying coming back to RTR I find it quite confusing and I am unsure which version I should install.
    I would be grateful for any information that would help me choose or links that might be informative
    Thanks

Default Re: Which version of RTR should I install ?

Quote Originally Posted by Athis View Post
    I am a returning player too. I played some RTR years ago and really liked it.
    A few months ago I got Rome TW on Steam in a sale and I have been meaning to get back to it; even thinking I may attempt a Let's Play.
    Thing is, when I played RTR years ago there was just one team and one version. I get the impression that since then a number of different teams have produced different versions of the mod.
    Am I correct in thinking that?
    I guess I am saying coming back to RTR I find it quite confusing and I am unsure which version I should install.
    I would be grateful for any information that would help me choose or links that might be informative
    Thanks
    Greetings, Athis! Or, should I say, welcome back!

You are correct, the RTR is changing from one instance of the mod to another, so every RTR mod is unique in its own way. I will try and briefly summarize all RTR mods that we have here:

1. RTR6 (RTR Platinum Edition) - I would consider this a vanilla of all other RTRs. This is what RTW campaign should have looked like in the first place. It is very broad and extensive, focused on realism of course, and spanning on a large map.
    2. ExRM (Extended Realism) - a real beast of its own, it builds upon RTR6, but it grew out to be its own thing. It bears a lot of improvements when compared to RTR6, including a new map, more units, unbelievably great gameplay with new buildings, complex government systems, traits, and much more.
    3. RTRVII - a more narrower and selective mod. Features a vast map, but it covers a smaller geographical area. Which allows for great detail on the map itself, including some very distinctive factions. Completely different from RTR6 and ExRM, this mod features gameplay elements such as a new Economic System, a very detailed differentiation of big and small settlements (each having their own separate building trees), complex government systems and much more. RTRVII also has two smaller predecessors, RTR : The Iberian Campaign and RTR : Fate of Empires, which are small campaigns and served as a "proof of concept" kind of thing for RTRVII.
    4. FO (Fortuna Orbis) - Builds upon RTRVII, adds a new Indian faction and features a map that covers a vast geographical area, new units and much more.
    5. RTR8 - The one we are currently making. It is a spiritual successor to RTR6 and ExRM, and is currently in beta. We are preparing a new release soon, where we'll revamp a lot of stuff as well as introduce new things

Hopefully this helps you with choosing which RTR mod to play. But I really suggest you try out all of them. They are all unique and have their own style, but the core is the same - realism
    Last edited by Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs; July 13, 2017 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Rome Total Realism Project Dev Team Member and Head of Public Relations
    RTR VII Beta Tester/Dev Team Member
    "Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.
    Proud patron of Aule_the_creator

Salve Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

Thank you for the excellent summary which I have copied & pasted into my Rome resources folder for future reference
    In fact I suggest perhaps expanding it and making it a sticky; it would be very helpful for new and returning players like me

I am intrigued by Extended and by your new version RTR8...
    But I think for now as a re entry I would like to take up where I left off, which I believe was RTR6 Gold,
    so I guess in that case I should probably go for one of the Platinum Editions ...?
    Can you advise me as to the various Platinum Editions; for instance the difference between the 1.9 modswitch and Platinum 2.00 editions
    Which do you think I should install ?
    (in general coherence and stability would be more important to me than bells & whistles)

Athis

Quote Originally Posted by Athis View Post
    Salve Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs

Thank you for the excellent summary which I have copied & pasted into my Rome resources folder for future reference
    In fact I suggest perhaps expanding it and making it a sticky; it would be very helpful for new and returning players like me

I am intrigued by Extended and by your new version RTR8...
    But I think for now as a re entry I would like to take up where I left off, which I believe was RTR6 Gold,
    so I guess in that case I should probably go for one of the Platinum Editions ...?
    Can you advise me as to the various Platinum Editions; for instance the difference between the 1.9 modswitch and Platinum 2.00 editions
    Which do you think I should install ?
    (in general coherence and stability would be more important to me than bells & whistles)

Athis
    No worries, I'm glad that I could help!

Regarding RTR6, yes, Platinum Edition is the way to go, as it's an improvement over the gold edition. Regarding the two platinum editions, 1.9 and 2.0, the former is made to work with RTW - Barbarian Invasion and the latter is made to work with RTW Alexander; so, if you have RTW Alexander, I strongly suggest RTR6 PE v2.0, as it is more recent and improved version of the RTR 6 PE v1.9. However, if you do not have RTW Alexander and only have RTW + BI, then you'd have to go with the 1.9 version.
    About the sticky idea - I like it, I'll see to it that I expand the descriptions and sticky them indeed, since you're not the first to be confused by all these RTRs, haha
    "Coasting through the intermission that separates day from day, I find myself feeling oddly at peace with reality. Despite everything, I think life will workout in the end. The world, as as I see it is a remarkable place." - DukeCanada, the interstellar wanderer.

Thank you Vrosivs Avgvstvs Rakvs
    you have been very helpful

Glad to be of service