Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make Attila Great Again (MAGA)

Default Re: Region gifting/trading -- Alpha Released

Starting for Maga 0.2 a compatibility pack file will need to be created by the mod team in order to make everything work correctly.
    I suggest you keep things simple and just copy your scripting.lua to that pack and add require("maga/init").

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    Giving a region in exchange of a peace treaty will be easy to add.
    Involving money to the exchange may be more difficult, I will give it a try later.
    Would it be possible to ask the AI for a region and money for peace?
    So not in the sense of explicitly buying a region, but rather making peace dependent on this region and money?

So f.e. asking for war reparation and certain regions

Furthermore, would it be possible to exchange more than one region at a time, or even a different number of regions?
    Last edited by Maetharin; July 27, 2017 at 05:29 PM.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Anything that involved money will be difficult to do no matter how you turn this out

Concerning the number of region to trade there is no "technical" limitation here, it's more about balancing.
    I will explain this in more details by the end of the month with the 0.2 release.

On an unrelated subject, here the first preview of the liberate region mechanic that will be part of the 0.2 release.

zxcvmnb's Avatar Semisalis

This is really, really amazing. These features clearly significantly improve this game! I could not be more impressed! Please, keep doing the impossible.

TGW Mod Official Unit Cutter-Outer

That liberate region mechanic looks so exciting too. Great work.

Default Re: Make Attila Great Again (MAGA)

This would be awesome! It All the features are amazing, but even a simple gift is great. It allows you to, for example, as ERE, conquer the provinces of WRE and and gift them, therefore keeping it intact. I sorely missed that feature.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

am i the only one that thinks this mod is focking amazing?

am i the only one that thinks this mod is focking amazing?
    No. It's brilliant, isn't it? As mentioned above, it makes the reconquest of the WRE worthwhile if you're playing ERE and vice versa if you're playing WRE. A real game-changer.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

It really is astonishing. How can one sexy French man do something that no one else could in 3 years? And he is going to update this mod so you can release vassals like in Napoleon total war. I dont know that much about modding, i know a little bit, but how did he do this? Did he use some special tools? How comes everyone in the last few years would say "it cant be done - its hard coded" whenever someone asked about how to mod in region trading?

What did Hardballer do so different? What does he look like? Whats his background? Does he have a fanclub i can join? This mod had completely changed the strategic campaign. Why isnt this being talked about more?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Basically quite a lot is possible via scripting, but its presumably hard, time consuming, requires knowledge of scripting and dedication. I've only seen like 3 or 4 scripters (Causeless, Hardballer, Litharion and DETrooper) in the Rome 2/Attila/Warhammer forums (don't browse the other game forums) compared to hundreds of ordinary modders.

OMG! this is amazing. Scripting can fix anything I hope. There is a major game breaking bug that I think can only be fixed in scripting. The CAI for various factions will act stupidly for some faction in the game by disbanding armies or not rebuilding and resurrecting dead navies and armies. It is completely random. Playing the game with fow or just looking at save parser files shows factions that have tons of income but no armies mid game. It is beyond game breaking. Only a script has the potential to fix it.

The script would need to make a force value for all AI factions to take absolute priority on making the current armies = total allowed armies and navies for imperium level. Then force the ai to build full stacks or have at least 60-70% of their total max force. I noticed on my play through that WRE for example had all their stacks destroyed and now they just have 1 navy with 4 vessels for the past 30 turns. they are not doing anything. Another playthourgh ERE didn't do anything. Another modder on Steam MINOS noticed the same issue but he moved on to Warhammed. Please modders, for the communities sake, save this game from this game breaking bug.

Quote Originally Posted by job345 View Post
    OMG! this is amazing. Scripting can fix anything I hope. There is a major game breaking bug that I think can only be fixed in scripting. The CAI for various factions will act stupidly for some faction in the game by disbanding armies or not rebuilding and resurrecting dead navies and armies. It is completely random. Playing the game with fow or just looking at save parser files shows factions that have tons of income but no armies mid game. It is beyond game breaking. Only a script has the potential to fix it.
    Are you sure this is something that would require, or best be resolved via, scripting? The game includes a lot of CAI tables in the database that can modify things like a faction's aggressiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    It really is astonishing. How can one sexy French man do something that no one else could in 3 years? And he is going to update this mod so you can release vassals like in Napoleon total war. I dont know that much about modding, i know a little bit, but how did he do this? Did he use some special tools? How comes everyone in the last few years would say "it cant be done - its hard coded" whenever someone asked about how to mod in region trading?

What did Hardballer do so different? What does he look like? Whats his background? Does he have a fanclub i can join? This mod had completely changed the strategic campaign. Why isnt this being talked about more?
    Caligula is pretty much right on here. Scripting is effectively writing code that can adjust or add actual behaviors for the game, while most modding is purely looking at changing content (i.e, unit stats or models). The reason people say "it cannot be done, it is impossible" is because there's no existing method in the game to activate this feature. Hardballer has done a large amount of work here in order to achieve what he has; it's important to note that this isn't just a switch he can turn on in-game. He's effectively re-implemented the entire mechanic from scratch.

The issues are that firstly the impact of scripting is limited: you can only modify the game state through an API that is designed for things like tutorials moreso than mods. CA have begun using scripting a little more in the recent games for gameplay adjustments, but it's still an extremely limited system. Every mod that utilizes scripting is really just a huge hack. You can see that this mechanic is almost completely separate from the actual in-game diplomacy system, and I'm almost certain this comes down to technical limitations of scripting and is not really a direct design choice. These limitations are severe, and I'm actually still largely dubious that this mod will achieve a state that is fully playable because it also requires writing AI that cannot be easily abused while there's not really any way of interfacing with the existing AI logic.

I do believe that the expectations here are a little off. Saying things like: "This mod had completely changed the strategic campaign." - has it really? Even if the mod was fully complete and didn't allow region trading to be easily abused right now it wouldn't be such a huge deal as to "completely change" the campaign. This mod is impressive, but it's not fundamentally and deeply changing the nature of playing the campaign, and certainly not now in its current state.

Personally, I find UI changes here to be far more interesting than the features here. It looks like finally somebody else has made an effort to reverse-engineer the UI files which is pretty exciting (and pretty much completely separate from scripting), although I've not investigated the full scope of these adjustments or what portion is via file modifications vs scripts.
    Last edited by Causeless; August 25, 2017 at 03:31 AM.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Amazing mod! But its not working if I combine with this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...t=settled+huns

Can you fix this please?

Hey centoor, no I can't fix that.
    The author have empty lua files inside his pack that break any script you will add to the game.

What you can do is creating a copy of the attila.pack and remove with PFM everything that is inside campaigns/main_attila except for startpos.esf
    That will do the trick if you play with the huns, if not then don't use this mod.

does not work! I play it with mod manager without any other conflicting mods. the option to trade wont show up

I'm not sure the mod manager check for conflics when it comes to script files.
    If it's not working then you either have a conflicting mod or your game install is corrupted.

Hey Hardballer, how is the progress? Could you tell me why this mod couldn't work for multiplayer? I can understand trading wouldn't work, but if you both gift each other a region it would be kind of the same... Would that be possible?

Hey Viking,

To make it short it can't work because the script is being executed locally, if Player 1 gifts a region Player 2 won't know about it.
    They are ways to work around this game limitation but that a lot of work for a one man project on an already old game, I won't bother.

Concerning the progress, I was quite busy the past 2 months... but I back at it full time now, 0.2 will be out for the end of the month.

Hey Hardballer,

Superb mod, truly you've done an outstanding job as this mod has become a must in all of my Attila campaigns. Is there any chance (even slim) that you may port this mod to TW Warhammer II since that game desperately needs a region trading system?

So, is this mod still alive, hardballer? Will there be a 0.2 still?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast