Thread: Did the mod ever had Legal issues? Why?

Maenor's Avatar Libertus

Default Did the mod ever had Legal issues? Why?

I don't feel the need to explain any further... This mod is/was BIG but for some reason it was ignored/allowed to exist(?) Was there ever any worry about Warner Bros taking down the whole thing? Other big mods like the infamous Skyrim Role-Playing one, received a Cease and Desist really quick after they got -let's say- Public Attention.

It is also the case of the Minecraft: LotR MOD, an almost standalone version of the game (as big as this one) yet no problems until now.

How do Modding actually works on this matter? How to be safe from C&D's? What would make them send one? It seems to be very random for me

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Did the mod ever had Legal issues? Why?

This mod is not threated by a drm (it's not controlled by Gabe like on Steamworks), so the law can't harm this mod so easily.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

AFAIK it is a grey zone. If a mod uses any actual material from original, there is a possible case for CnD. If mod creators somehow profit from it, then it's a serious case for CnD. The companies pretty much weigh the negative publicity from such CnD against potential gains, and in the end most of the time it's not worth it. Some are more aggressive in protecting their brand, some are less. In case of the Skyrim one, it's possible (I do not recall offhand the actual timeline) that it was percieved as possible competition to one of LotR based RPGs and shut down.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

This mod never had any legal issues, the only M2TW mod I know which received a CnD is Westeros Total War, which the friendly member Tincow managed to get rid of by legal ways.
    As long as no profits are made by a mod team there isn't really any ground for a CnD.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    , the only M2TW mod I know which received a CnD is Westeros Total War, which the friendly member Tincow managed to get rid of by legal ways.
    I guess he quit TWCenter to go elsewhere (sure not DRMed) under an other name http://www.moddb.com/mods/westeros-total-war
    I'm happy I never bought any GoThrone product. I'm happy too I don't have M2TW in Steam (and have a good exe, hum).
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13917466

As long as no profits are made by a mod team there isn't really any ground for a CnD.
    There is. It's forbidden. Profit or not. But it is tolerated. Any time all the mods, made public for sure, who have no written permission (you can ask, but usually the owners never answer), can be under a CnD. And when a mod is controlled by a drm, it is very easy to kill it (that's what are made Digital Right Managements for). All your thousands hours of work desappear in a snap (if you didn't save it elsewhere than the drmed zone, so however you may use it but for your own usage only).
    Last edited by Vifarc; July 14, 2017 at 07:11 AM.
    > > Divide&Conquer submod user, playing RealmOfLothlõrien (ThirdAge mod). < <
    My small products here.

Its kind of sad that companies can decide to bully fans for creating games of what they love

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

The mod creators were very careful about this. In most cases they are using their own created work inspired by LotR books and films. Where content is taken from the film, in game videos for instance, their kept to 3-4 seconds, which falls within fair use guidelines.

The other important thing to point out is that Third Age isn't denying any legitimate rights holders of LotR profits. If a game studio obtained the rights to make a LotR strategy game they would certainly look at stomping out anything like TATW.

Semisalis

I wonder this as well. As far as I'm concerned, this mod is an anomaly and a miracle.

LotR mods were attempted in open-world games like the Elder Scrolls but were issues Cease and Disist orders.

I think timing may have been important. This mod was released after the movies and games came out following the wave of Peter Jackson's trilogy. When the Oblivion/Skyrim mods were being created, they were working on the Hobbit trilogy. Having mods using the likeness of Middle Earth will detract from potential revenue from consumers buying potential games set in Middle Earth should the license be optioned.