Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible solution to recent problems with game start and freezing

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Possible solution to recent problems with game start and freezing

Thanks for the report - I have made a note\link in the OP to highlight it.

My OS is windows 7 ultimate. I am trying to play MTW2 and when I want to start the game I receive the following message : Please login with administrator privileges and try again. Kingdoms is working fine, only MTW2 has this problem. Could you pls. help me to solve this problems ?

Blog Entries

Not to sound condescending: are you the admin of the computer?

Did you have any of the described problems? If not, please reverse the changes you made in the files' properties.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Update on standard Windows 10 (pro) settings and playing MTW/Kingdoms (mods):

I upgraded my computer, went from Intel to AMD. That meant new motherboard, CPU, memory. Also it meant a complete new install of Windows 10 pro and of course a reinstall of MTW2 and Kingdoms. I'm happy to report that the game plays without any crashes on the new setup also. I changed nothing in the Windows settings.

I did have a crash just now though, but it was with a unit of wolves present, which I previously always has trouble with. With all Elephant based units really, particulary Ents, Spiders and Wolves. This crash looked a bit different though, as the game screen did not close but stayed open, the music went on, there was a spinning ring (cursor, I play a TATW mod) present. I stopped the program by using task manager in the end. My log was still in the default mode, but it showed some stuff I never saw before. These are the last lines:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    when testing <PercentageUnitAttribute> condition
    00:08:46.171 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <ent_draught>
    : PercentageUnitAttribute needs a living character with an army.

00:12:59.042 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <ent_draught>

00:12:59.046 [game.script] [error] Trigger processing error in <ent_draught>

01:38:45.081 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Regardless of the above, I managed to play over 200 turns without a single crash before this happened.

New setup:
    Gigabyte Aorus X470 ultra gaming motherboard, AMD Ryzen 2600 CPU, 2 x 8 Gig G.Skil Ripjaws F4-3200C16D-16GVKB, Corsair CX 550M modular power supply. Also added a Crucial MX500 500GB SSD.

Edit, I reloaded the game and played the battle again without a crash this time. I had been playing for quite a while, which might explain the crash, could be coincidence also or something entirely else.
    Last edited by Veteraan; May 29, 2018 at 07:39 PM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Hi! Veteraan did you have any problems running m2tw launcher? I can't start EBII because of this error shows up. I set already medieval.exe properties to run in compatibile mod (win7), run as administrator, then I downloaded and install files from EBII guide on Modb and still nothing. I've once information that my pc specs are too high for this game.

Also this error shows up, when I click on medieval.exe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bez*tytułu.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	353558
    Last edited by Demon Soul; May 30, 2018 at 01:44 PM.

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

Sorry, I never use the MTW2 launcher. Don't even know if I have one. Also I don't use Steam for this game but start it from the disk. I had freezes a few years ago and switched to Windows 8.1 compatibility for medieval2.exe and kingdoms.exe, which helped until I got freezes again some months ago. Nothing seemed to help until I switched back to Windows 10 for the two exe files. Almost had no crashes and zero freezes since then, basically on two computers since I upgraded my system. It works for me, can't tell if it will work for you.
    It's highly unlikely that your PC specs are too high for this game, however it is true that "this game" will not take advantage of a big part of the power of a high spec PC.

You can search (Google) for the error code, there is a lot of info about it. It seems the 1803 update caused a lot of this kind of problems.
    Last edited by Veteraan; May 31, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries

I recommended this approach the last time we had a this error, but didn't get a feed back:

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It's a windows system issue, check here on how to run the DISM tool in 'restorehealth' mode. This will most likely solve your issue.
    And thanks to veteraan we know that the compatibility approach may need reversing.

Nope, non of this solutions helped. I can't google what does this error means.

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Soul View Post
    Nope, non of this solutions helped. I can't google what does this error means.
    You can't use Google?

I meant that there's no solution for the error I've encountered.

Hi all,

I'm trying to play the Elder Scrolls mod and one of the suggested solutions for the end-of-turn crashes is running medieval 2 as admin like suggested here.

However, when I do that, the game crashes upon launch as well.

Has anyone encountered this issue? How can I fix it?

Thank you!

Blog Entries

Win11 users and DirectX in general: check this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12