Thread: Any tips or tricks for artillery wars with the Dwarves?

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

Default Any tips or tricks for artillery wars with the Dwarves?

So I've been playing around in multiplayer as the Dwarves. Flanking notwithstanding, the one enemy strat which consistently (and most frustratingly) keeps beating me is an artillery fight- especially against the Empire. Their artillery outranges mine by quite a bit (I don't have the Goblobber DLC), which makes things particularly difficult, as they generally have free reign to unload all of their ammo on me with minimal reprisal.

• I could separate my artillery from my main army, push into range, and get into the duel that way (dwarven arty is often more accurate, in my experience) but that would leave my artillery exposed for the inevitable cavalry strikes.
    • If I protect my artillery then I am essentially voluntarily choosing to stick one or more units into a static location in order to take free artillery hits.
    • As well, if I protect my artillery I still lose the trade due to the AoE (on the Empire rockets) and/or because I take additional losses getting into range in the first place.
    • I often deepstrike enemy artillery with Gyrocopters/bombers, but if my opponent fields two or three gun units then that becomes no longer viable.
    • I can play to the terrain, hiding behind hills/buildings or in forests where artillery cannot target me... but that leaves me at the whim of the field (which might not have usable terrain), and/or leaves me grossly out of any kind of good position for a frontal assault.
    • I can try rushing their position, but dwarves are probably the worst faction on the charge- especially if I need to protect my flanks from demigryphs.

Any tips or tricks I am missing?
    Last edited by Willowran; July 06, 2017 at 09:05 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Any tips or tricks for artillery wars with the Dwarves?

Default Re: Any tips or tricks for artillery wars with the Dwarves?

Not much I can think of. The range differential is not huge, only 10 between cannons and great cannons but it allows Empire to get 1 - 2 extra chances in most situations while the Helstorm other than gyros has no counter by Dwarfs at the moment and it is mostly RNG if a Dwarf army takes battle winning damage or just is an annoyance. Overall so long as Dwarfs have 2-3 cannon they should win vs Empire great cannons due to superior accuracy most of the time. Helstorm... eh, it really is Dwarfs nemesis as they are too slow and lack counters so just have to get lucky.