Thread: Potential Training Bug

Icon5 Potential Training Bug

So me and my friends got this mod recently and decided to fire up the hotseat campaign for some fun. (And we had loads of it ). But I recently noted that I can't recruit any new knights from my castle. I understand this mod has a "real recruitment feature" but for some reason the counter til the next unit does not tick down. By that I mean after I recruited my first mailed knights, the unit recruitment screen shows that the unit is "not available for recruitment for 13 turns" and it has stayed exactly like that for 19 turns at this point! (I recruited a set of knights on my first turn and I'm playing as Venice if that helps)

My friends don't seem to have this problem with England happily using his miles to squash Scotland and Cavalliri or something for the Byzantines and they all reported they could recruit normally and the unit pool refresh correctly. Can you guys help me out, I don't want to be stuck without cav .

Default Re: Potential Training Bug

Cant think why that would be happening, unless if your castle got attacked and devastated its population (don't think counters for recruitment work if you are under siege).
    OR if you sent your Knight unit into battle and it sustained injuries. If you then re-trained your knight unit at the castle, that will send the counter higher (since your recruiter sent you some replacement knights to refill your unit, thus reducing the pool of knights he was saving up for you).

Its better to retrain a damaged unit then to recruit a fresh one though.
    A damaged unit might have a few veteran chevrons (increasing its stats) from combat experience. A fresh unit will be green recruits. It goes 1, 2 then 3 bronze chevrons, then silver, then gold. So a unit with 3 gold chevrons is as elite as you can get.
    For this same reason, be careful about combining damaged units in the field. Unless they are the same level of experience, the veterans stats will get dragged down by adding greener men to their unit.
    BUT, their experience level is not damaged when you retrain them at a castle.

The only time you want to combine a weaker unit with a strong one is when you're in the field and its not feasible to send the strong small unit back to a castle. Maybe you're in enemy territory and you know that single small unit will never make it back to your castle on his own without being attacked. But if there's only 4-5 men left in the unit, it likely wont survive a battle even if it stays with the army. So, combine it with a larger group so that experience isn't lost. 10 1bronze soldiers combined with 10 1gold soldiers will equal out to about a 1silver 20-man unit. See what I mean?

Hope this was helpful
    Last edited by Duck of Death; July 06, 2017 at 08:40 PM.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Well it's not exactly a retraining problem. What happen was I sent a small force of a general and a unit of mounted sergeants and a unit of mailed knight to Iraklion (My friend,The Byzantines, gave it to me). After that the settlement rebel cause there was no one there to occupy it after he gave it to me. So I sent my general to squash the rebels, forgetting that it was a hotseat campaign and the AI could dick me over with their autoresolve. Basically all my cav got wiped out along with the general. When I went back to Ragusa to see how long it would take to recruit new one it said 13 for mailed and 7 for mounted sergeants. I was like well ok and passed the turn to my friends.

Weird thing is, it has been almost 22 turns now and they are still stuck at 13 and 7 turns til next unit.

King Edward's Avatar Foederatus

I have the same problem in a single player campaign. "Turns until next unit available: 7" has never ticked down. I can't recruit anything but militia

Year of the campaign?
    It could be that Mailed Knights were phased out by the Heavy Mail Event and only the pool to retrain the unit at no les than 90% strength remains, not sure why the devs made it that way but that's how it is in the EDB