Thread: Issue - Grand Campaign Returns to Main Menu?

Default Issue - Grand Campaign Returns to Main Menu?

Hey guys,

I recently decided to get back into M2TW after a few years, and re-downloaded SS as I always used to have fun on the earlier versions.

Playing on Steam, I downloaded 6.3 and the 6.4 patch, as well as the code to automate the Kingdoms.exe issue. No other sub-mods or bugfixes. I opened up the grand campaign menu to have a look at a few of the factions strengths/weaknesses etc. then decided to play a custom map with the Byzantines. No lags or errors, although I could only see a tiny percentage of the units available to the factions (I assume this is because I have it set to early era campaign?).

Anyway, when I returned to the main menu and went on the early era campaign section, I could click on the Byzantine Empire, but the moment I select "start campaign", it makes the noise as though the campaign is starting but then just jumps back to the main menu? I've tried restarting both SS and my computer, and tried it with every single faction with the same result; no crash to desktop or error message, it just returns back to the main menu?

I followed the installation instructions for steam to a tee, and I don't have any issues playing custom games at all. Not really sure what to do in this situation?

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Issue - Grand Campaign Returns to Main Menu?

I'm having the exact same problem and I have not seen a solution for it. Everyone just keeps copying+pasting this link which doesn't help at all. I have followed it to a T like you have said. I start a campaign and it just takes me back to the menu. I can play battles and everything else but the campaign will not launch. Interested to see if there's a solution but I won't hold my breath.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

First did you run ss_setup.exe in the ss6.3 folder after installing all the files?

If yes, then re-install just 6.3 and see if that works. (lets you start grand campaign).

If so then reinstall 6.4 patch and make sure you doing it with 'run as admin'.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Quote Originally Posted by Losthief View Post
    First did you run ss_setup.exe in the ss6.3 folder after installing all the files?

If yes, then re-install just 6.3 and see if that works. (lets you start grand campaign).

If so then reinstall 6.4 patch and make sure you doing it with 'run as admin'.
    Okay this worked for 6.3. I simply only installed 6.3, launched as admin and I can start the campaign. When I install 6.4 and do the same (launch as admin) I cannot get the campaign to start. I am on windows 10. I have the mod installed in the steam mod folder which is on a separate SSD (so it's not within a "program files" path). Any reason why I can launch the campaign under 6.3 install but not under a 6.4 install?

Disregard the below. After I installed 6.4 I tried to run a campaign and it did not launch. I went back, accessed the SS_setup.exe file and ran that as admin. I re-selected my campaign and AI settings and relaunched 6.4 SS_Launcher as admin. I was then able to start a campaign. The only thing I can think of is that after running a campaign in 6.3 the game must create a file that is not being created if you simply 6.3, then 6.4 then try to launch a game. Or after installing the 6.4 patch the ss_setup needs to be re-run and re-selected as something must clear it out after the 6.4 install patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Buildncastles View Post
    Okay this worked for 6.3. I simply only installed 6.3, launched as admin and I can start the campaign. When I install 6.4 and do the same (launch as admin) I cannot get the campaign to start. I am on windows 10. I have the mod installed in the steam mod folder which is on a separate SSD (so it's not within a "program files" path). Any reason why I can launch the campaign under 6.3 install but not under a 6.4 install?

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

glad you got it to work. Yeah its UAC interfering with overwriting files. Which is what the .exe for ss does. Doesn't work during install alot.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!