Thread: Bridge Battles - Enemy waiting forever, not attacking

Default Bridge Battles - Enemy waiting forever, not attacking

I am fighting a long and bloody campaign against the Mongols, and I have designed most of my armies so they would excel at defending river crossings (archers, stakes, siege, spears, etc).
    This way I succesfully manage to let the Mongol Hordes attack my positions, but once the battle actually starts, the Mongols just sit on their side of the river forever.

It doesn't matter if I have Battle Time Limit turned on, they won't attack. Some enemy units do seem to be "stuck" by having just 1 or 2 soldiers from a unit move around in circles, as if they can't get into position.
    They sometimes do attack if provoked, but that means sending my units across the bridge to get shredded by their cavalry archers. I am always the defending party, they should be coming across, right?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thx a lot!
    (SS6.4 with Bugfix)

Default Re: Bridge Battles - Enemy waiting forever, not attacking

While its possible there is a pathing issue with the NPC units, depending on what addons and difficulty you are using, the NPC can be smart enough to not engage you unless it feels it is to its advantage.
    Ive had that happen lots of times. I even tested it once to be sure it wasn't a random bug.
    I entered a battle (with the advantage) and the computer didn't advance his men... made me come to him.
    Then the exact same battle again (but with most of my army concealed in tree cover) and thinking he had the advantage, the NPC army charged me... and got destroyed when all my men jumped out of cover
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Are the bridge battles in mountainous regions? I know the pathfinding will bug out with those steep slopes. If it's a relatively flat plain, then it could be as Duck of Death says and they are simply waiting for you (despite initiating battle).

Yeah there are some slopes which maybe unables the AI to properly set up. But I'll try to see if I can hide some men in the bushes, and hopefully lure them over. Thanks for the advice!

I know I hate when I have a good position, my archers lined up behind spikes... and then the enemy just sits there and taunts me.
    Then I have to change my whole attack strategy and march my infantry into a meat grinder
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Veronica's Avatar Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch7 View Post
    I am fighting a long and bloody campaign against the Mongols, and I have designed most of my armies so they would excel at defending river crossings (archers, stakes, siege, spears, etc).
    This way I succesfully manage to let the Mongol Hordes attack my positions, but once the battle actually starts, the Mongols just sit on their side of the river forever.

It doesn't matter if I have Battle Time Limit turned on, they won't attack. Some enemy units do seem to be "stuck" by having just 1 or 2 soldiers from a unit move around in circles, as if they can't get into position.
    They sometimes do attack if provoked, but that means sending my units across the bridge to get shredded by their cavalry archers. I am always the defending party, they should be coming across, right?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thx a lot!
    (SS6.4 with Bugfix)
    Just a mere compassion - I've had prepared a beautiful English longbowmen regiment (just 3-or-so units, to say!) and a bridge battle happened. I was eager to just stand there and let them meet as much of their doom as possible while actually being fully prepared to perish - my units were outnumbered 5,33:3, so the enemy actually had an advantage, but they just stood there, waiting forever, with time limit on.
    On a few other occasions this very situation reoccurred, always a bridge battle in disadvantage, so I think we may consider it a bug...

Turn the time limit on and end the turn. Speed up and you'll win.
    "Alea iacta est"

Most people would be pleased that the AI showed some intelligence in not attacking a well-defended position.

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

Then you will wait there till you grow a beard(even if you are woman).

So, take one of your archer units to "trigger" the enemy army into moving towards you. Tends to work 99,99%.