Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Gaming Staff] Of Forests and Fire - War in the North (GOOD SIDE VICTORY)

joerock22's Avatar Leader of Third Age HS
    Citizen

Default [Gaming Staff] Of Forests and Fire - War in the North (GOOD SIDE VICTORY)

An uneasy wind blows out of the north. A biting chill which only the strong dare stand against. It carries the smell of ash, of evil reborn. All sense it. The desert sands of the east stir with marching footsteps. The great forests of Mirkwood and Eriador quiver restlessly. The wolves howl long into the night, their haunting voices echoing across the landscape, foretelling of the carnage to come. For a great darkness is nigh upon the inhabitants of the wild tracts of Middle Earth. The enemy will come, with sword and shield and fire. Only by casting aside old grievances and fighting together as one can the free peoples hope to retain what they hold dear. If they do not, all is lost.

This is total war. This is War in the North.

Map

Map Explanation

This game includes the entire northern half of Middle Earth, and is based on the highly successful Shadows of the North series of hotseats from years past. It is a world where teamwork is essential, and where even factions which start out small can rise to conquest and glory. Mordor starts out with only one region, but may receive addition units at the start to improve balance.

Players

The Alliance of the Free Peoples

Dale: Jadli
    Dwarves: Jadli
    Free Peoples of Eriador: VACANT
    High Elves: VACANT
    Silvan Elves: VACANT

The Alliance of Evil

Mordor: ScotlandIsBest
    Orcs of the Misty Mountains: Captain Melon
    Orcs of Gundabad: Potatoto
    Rhun: DEAD (killed by Dwarves)

Co-Admins
    Joerock22
    Chieftain Khuzaymah

Advisors

There is a fairly significant learning curve with Third Age: Total War hotseats. To give players a resource for advice and answers to questions, each team will have an advisor.

The advisors are not here to tell you what to do. They will only give advice to those who ask for it. Their job is to answer questions and provide guidance to players who seek it, nothing more. It is our hope that people will ask questions and allow us to pass on some wisdom. We can assist with economic management as well as military strategy. Each team will have its own advisor (who are also the co-admins of the hotseat), so there will be no conflicts of interest. All requests for advice will be held in strict confidence by the advisors.

The Alliance of Free Peoples
    Advisor: Gandalf the Grey
    Played by: Joerock22

“Hope is kindled.”

Gandalf the Grey. In many ways, he is not what one would expect of a wizard. Some say years of smoking pipe weed have dulled his mind, as evidenced by some his more eccentric tendencies, including his queer affection for the halflings of the Shire. But do not be fooled. Gandalf may be seem almost carefree during times of peace, but when the darkness arises once more in the evil corners of Middle Earth, he will stand tall and lead the forces of righteousness to victory. Through his travels he has gained an unparalleled understanding of Middle Earth and its various inhabitants. The Free Peoples would do well to put this knowledge to good use.

The Alliance of Evil
    Advisor: Saruman the White
    Played by: Chieftain Khuzaymah

“There will be no dawn, for men.”

Saruman. Lord of Isengard, leader of the Istari, wielder of the White Hand. He is one of the oldest and wisest beings in Middle Earth, and among the most clever. For only a brilliant mind could comprehend the truth, that the Age of Men is over. Battles must still be fought, but no man, elf, or dwarf can stand against the power of darkness and hope to prevail. All the world will be covered in shadow. The orcs are not known for their intelligence, and would be wise to heed the White Wizard’s counsel. Against the iron fist of the orc and the singular mind of Saruman, there is no victory.

Guide

It is also highly advisable to check out this guide.

Rules

This is a good vs. evil hotseat. You cannot attack members of your team in any circumstances.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Map:

• No capturing any settlements beyond the red line
    • There is no restriction on where you can move your armies/agents, however
    • Players may capture North Tharbad, but not South Tharbad

Administrative:

• Long campaign
    • Manage all settlements
    • M/M Difficulty

General

• You may reload your turn as many times as you want
    • Turns must be taken within 24 hours or 48 hours with notification. If you cannot play your turn, please make arrangements for subbing (preferably with one of your teammates!)
    • Please PM or VM the next player in line

Gameplay

• You are not allowed to attack any human opponent on turn 1, unless that player has already played his turn. Attacking includes starting a siege. There is no restriction on where you can move your armies/agents, however.
    • No Invasions
    • You must autoresolve all battles against other players. Battles against the AI (rebels) can be fought
    • You may gift regions to another faction, but you must disband all but one unit immediately. This unit is considered a free "home guard" unit and cannot leave the settlement under any circumstances. The home guard unit must also be disbanded within 3 turns.
    • No gifting settlements at risk of capture
    • No heroic victories unless it is impossible to achieve a different result (at least 5 reloads)
    • Post screenshots of all battles against other players: deployment screen and results screen. I think this makes following a hotseat much more interesting. Note – you do not need to post screenshots for lopsided battles, i.e. 1,000 vs. 100, but please mention the battle in your post
    • No Assassins
    • No surrounding armies with smaller stacks to deny a retreat. You are allowed to block bridges or river crossings
    • Players are not allowed to siege a settlement in order to prevent enemy units from retreating inside it
    • No mercenary transport ships
    • All crossings points of the Anduin are in play
    • Units defeated by a player coming after you in the turn order may not move or attack on your subsequent turn
    • Bribing is allowed
    • Sallying from a settlement under siege is not allowed if it results in the settlement falling to the besieging force immediately thereafter (on your turn)
    • You are not allowed to lure an ambushing army a tile further to bring it in range of more of your forces. If all forces wishing to attack are within range of the ambushing army then it may be brought out of ambush and attacked with those forces.

Buildings

• No destroying any buildings if the settlement is at risk of capture
    • Exterminating settlements is not allowed. You may sack or occupy
    • On the turn you capture an enemy settlement, you are only allowed to destroy inns and cultural buildings. This rule stays in effect until you have held a captured settlement for 3 turns
    • After you hold a captured settlement for 3 turns, buildings can be destroyed without restriction (provided the settlement is not at risk of capture)

Spies

• Whether a spy may open the gates of a settlement depends on the size of the settlement’s garrison. If a settlement is defended by 720+ elves, 900+ men, or 1500+ orcs, then spies may NOT open the gates. If a settlement is defended by fewer than this number, then spies may open the gates without restriction
    • Note – Isengard must have 1500 soldiers in a settlement before it is safe from spies, even if some of those soldiers are dunlendings (men). This is because the standard unit size for Isengard is 250 across the board. Rhun, on the other hand, falls under the 900 man category because its standard unit size is 150
    • The purpose of this rule is to allow players to defend their settlement without fear of losing their garrison due to spies. Its justification is that a settlement with more defenders has better surveillance and it would be harder for spies to operate. I also want to keep the rule simple, which is the reason for the hard limit. So basically if you defend a settlement with 6 full units worth of troops, you are safe from spies
    • Spies may open the gates against the Rebels (AI) without restriction

Rules are open to change based on a vote by a majority of players
    Last edited by joerock22; September 30, 2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: winner declared

Default Re: [Gaming Staff] Of Forests and Fire - War in the North - NEW HOTSEAT, JOIN NOW!

Orcs of Gundabad for me pls

Default Re: [Gaming Staff] Of Forests and Fire - War in the North - NEW HOTSEAT, JOIN NOW!

Hi, I'd prefer a 'good faction'

HouseStarkFTW's Avatar Ducenarius

I'd prefer this HS to the other, and any one of the good factions.

Urke's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: [Gaming Staff] Of Forests and Fire - War in the North

If there are some spots left I'd be up for filling them, letting you know.

Citizen

We should be starting soon. I made a slight change to the map, and an important change to the rules. Players can now fight out battles against the AI if they want to. This will make it much easier to capture rebel settlements. All battles against other players must still be auto-resolved.

Dale up:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwL...ew?usp=sharing

Also, one final administrative note. The Witch King is not meant to participate in this hotseat, but I was unable to get rid of him on the descr_strat because it caused the game to crash. So Mordor will need to suicide him against the nearby rebel army on his first turn. It will take all of two mouse clicks. Mordor's FL is Khamul and his FH is Grishnakh.
    Last edited by joerock22; July 09, 2017 at 10:48 AM.

Urke's Avatar Semisalis

I'll get Dale, let's do this. I just ask for a bit more time, downloading the mod.

Citizen

We are instituting a one turn peace rule to match the other new hotseat. I don't think it will affect anyone in this hotseat. Everyone starts pretty far away from other players in this setup.

Urke's Avatar Semisalis

Eh, sorry, but I'll have to drop this one. I have problems running the mod.

Citizen

It's a basic Third Age 3.2 installation. I'll seek a replacement.

Urke's Avatar Semisalis

Nah, installation is ok, but it crashes way to often. Can't even enter the saves for whatever the reason.

Hell, for me it crashes right on start up. Da fuq. Used to play TATW all the time :/

Citizen

I don't know what to tell you. I downloaded the Dale save from the thread and it works fine. You need Third Age 3.0 (both parts) and the 3.2 patch. All links can be found here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...and-other-Info

If I can't get this fixed by tomorrow, I'll have to drop out. Don't wanna slow things down for you all.

kk, fixed it. I'm good to go

Also, if you need someone to sub Dale until Urke can fix his game or you find a replacement, lemme know. I am available.

Subbed Dale and did my turn as Dwarves.

Eriador up: http://www.filedropper.com/fferiador1

Sorry for being like 2 hours late XD

High Elves - https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1tvfdfm76...ves_1.sav?dl=0

JCdestr0yer's Avatar Campidoctor
    A Village in the Kingdom in the North (Ireland)

Right i forgot about this turn and i forgot to download the mod will be up as soon as possible the morning really sorry you can skip if this is to slow
    Last edited by JCdestr0yer; July 17, 2017 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast