Thread: Snow belt

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Snow belt

Is it possible to change the snow belt progression in Attila's main campaign? I haven't found any mod so far that does it, so maybe it is hard-coded, but I did find five different types of snow attrition in the db, att_att_snow_1 to ..._5, so there seem to be different categories of campaign map snow, possibly linked to the 5 stages of snow belt extension.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Foederatus

Default Re: Snow belt

Yes, it is possible, I've done it for my mod I'm making where an ice age sets in.

Go to terrain/campaigns/main_attila_map and modify the snow masks. Each number after the season suffix represents a climate change phase.

Thanks I was able to modify/replace the snow-masks and it displays properly in game (no more snow in Italy in spring and autumn), but it still flags these areas as snow attrition. Does anyone know where attrition areas are listed?

EDIT: I found the season_attritions table in data/db. There all attrition types are listed in conjunction with all seasons with three unknown variables (1,3,5) where number 5 is numerical and corresponds exactly to the numbering of the different snow masks for the different seasons. I'll see what I can make of that.
    Last edited by Iskar; July 03, 2017 at 09:30 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Thanks I was able to modify/replace the snow-masks and it displays properly in game (no more snow in Italy in spring and autumn), but it still flags these areas as snow attrition. Does anyone know where attrition areas are listed?

EDIT: I found the season_attritions table in data/db. There all attrition types are listed in conjunction with all seasons with three unknown variables (1,3,5) where number 5 is numerical and corresponds exactly to the numbering of the different snow masks for the different seasons. I'll see what I can make of that.
    If its an unknown variable in the Pack File Manager, open up that table using the Assembly Kit - Dave, and it should tell you what variable that column is related to.

Better yet, you can open up the PFM schema xml file and rename the "unknown" columns to their correct names and send the updates for the schema to daniu so he can update the PFM master schema. There's a guide on how to do this somewhere... can't find it now, but it's not too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    If its an unknown variable in the Pack File Manager, open up that table using the Assembly Kit - Dave, and it should tell you what variable that column is related to.
    Brilliant, thanks Turns out the column in question is a numerical climate phase lower threshold validating the true/false box next to it. I'll tinker around with it to see whether I can make attrition areas retreat back north towards late game.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Better yet, you can open up the PFM schema xml file and rename the "unknown" columns to their correct names and send the updates for the schema to daniu so he can update the PFM master schema. There's a guide on how to do this somewhere... can't find it now, but it's not too complicated.
    Will look into that once I've figured out how the table in question works in toto.

So, I've been able to at least disable the extended attrition areas congruent to the reverted snow belt (using the season attritions table and the snow masks in the terrain.pack file). What I haven't managed so far is making the attrition areas retreat dynamically. For that I would want to add lines to the season attritions table with climate phase coded enabling/disabling of attrition areas. However, I haven't been able to add lines in DaVE and in PFM the table has an empty column that when adding new lines demands a non-empty value, making new lines look different from original ones.