Thread: Need Some New Books to Read!

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Default Need Some New Books to Read!

Hey all,

So recently I have had a craving for political novels. Not, as in, novels that tell me about politics, but fictional tales where politics and intrigue are a central part of the story.

Specifically, I'm looking for any sort of book or series when one goes from the bottom of the ranks in politics, to the top.

My efforts to find such a novel have been in vain. So, I turn to you to see if you know of any!

Thanks in advance,

Tigellinus
    Last edited by Tigellinus; June 30, 2017 at 05:06 PM.

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need Some New Books to Read!

Atlas Shrugged, the only bible novel you'll ever need.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I suggest Michael Dobbs House of Cards (the book that inspired the British and the American TV adaptations). Great story-telling, focused on politics and full of intrigue with a terrifying anti-hero.

The only point which doesn't meet your criteria is that the main character starts as not just a Member of Parliament, but also as the Chief Whip (which gives him shadowy behind-the-scenes power because he knows the secrets of others, even though he doesn't have the formal power of a government minister). This means that he doesn't start 'from the bottom of the ranks'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I suggest Michael Dobbs House of Cards (the book that inspired the British and the American TV adaptations). Great story-telling, focused on politics and full of intrigue with a terrifying anti-hero.

The only point which doesn't meet your criteria is that the main character starts as not just a Member of Parliament, but also as the Chief Whip (which gives him shadowy behind-the-scenes power because he knows the secrets of others, even though he doesn't have the formal power of a government minister). This means that he doesn't start 'from the bottom of the ranks'.
    Thanks to you both!

I had no idea that House of Cards was inspired by a book!

Will be interesting to see how Frank differs in the novel(s) to the tv show!

Thanks,

Tigellinus

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Have you seen both versions of the TV show?

Also, do you want just relatively modern books, or would fiction set in historical periods also work? (I haven't read them - although I've read some of his other books - but Anthony Trollope's Palliser novels or his The Way We Live Now might work if you're happy with historical stuff.)

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

With House of Cards, only the first book was "planned". The other two books were made due to the success of the British TV show, so the quality might not be as good and the characters motivations might be different. I've never read the books, just wondering aloud. Both the British and the American show are great (the first two or three seasons of the American show were great, but it's started to go a bit shoddy so the British version wins in terms of overall quality imo).

Conn Iggulden's Emperor series is good. It follows Julius Caesar, and later Octavian/Augustus and focuses on politics if I remember correctly. I can't remember whether its complex, or a bit basic though.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series has some good politicking, but there's not a single book which focuses on just the politics.

The Best of Luck's Avatar Foederatus

Have you ever read Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series? Not the ones coming out now, but the ones which came out in the 90s and early 2000s. I'd recommend those for a bottom to the top political story, though it does take a few books before Jack Ryan himself is involved in politics. I'd also recommend Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series which focuses on Genghis Khan and his descendants. Excellent books, though the most enjoyable for me is the last one, Conqueror, which focuses on Kublai Khan.

@Cailagh:

Ah, only the Netflix one. (That is the American one, I do believe).

Anything. Science Fiction, historical fiction, modern fiction or anything. Due to my love of history, anything historical and political would be welcomed!

@Caligula:
    Oh, interesting! I will find out!

Conn Iggulden is a fantastic author, I'm reading Dunstan just now. Never read the Emperor series, but I have heard that is fantastic. I'll get it over the next few weeks!

The Best of Luck: I have not, I will look into them! Thanks for the recommendation!

The Conqueror series was truly fantastic, one of my favourites!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Of the Discworld novels, I think these three would be the most political... Jingo, Feet of Clay, and Thud!
    The books can be read in any order really.

I don't really read political stuff, but I assume classic authors such as Charles Dickens, Fyodor Dostoyevsky or Leo Tolstoy have some good stuff.