Thread: Quaddi respawn

Default Quaddi respawn

Greetings ib fans and mods

I have one question about the gameplay,the quaddi get full army stacks out of nowhere and permantly is it something based on the script,or a bug?because it always ruining my campaigns

Best regards
    There is only one Macedonia in the world and it is GREECE
    Kosovo is Serbia
    ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ ΓΙΑ ΠΑΝΤΑ
    SUPPORTER OF MY SERBIAN BROTHERS

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Quaddi respawn

Quote Originally Posted by COMIS -3- ΠΑΝΙΩΝΑΡΑ View Post
    Greetings ib fans and mods

I have one question about the gameplay,the quaddi get full army stacks out of nowhere and permantly is it something based on the script,or a bug?because it always ruining my campaigns

Best regards
    This is scripted. If and when a barbarian faction's territory is reduced to one one region, then this increases the chances of 'reinforcements" arrriving to protect the last remaining city. This is designed to make it hard for the roman faction to conquer barbarian factions completely and not be a complete walkover.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

It also stops one barbarian faction from taking over all the others and making all the frontier battles boring. Usually I don't like too much scripting but this is cool because it gives the AI factions a chance to not get steamrolled by either the player or other AI factions.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Yeah you're right Julianus, but .. my goodness, those full stacks of ferocious Quadi are a pain in the arse! This because they are threatening the most important place (at least for me) on the whole map: Sirmium!

I need Sirmium, I need the quality troops I can recruit there, I need my legions and, with them, the imperial glory in its full splendor, but .. between me and glory, there are the Quadi! Always plotting in the shadows, always treacherous, traitorous, always incomprehensible and and always dangerous! My goodness how much I hate the Quadi!

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    It also stops one barbarian faction from taking over all the others and making all the frontier battles boring. Usually I don't like too much scripting but this is cool because it gives the AI factions a chance to not get steamrolled by either the player or other AI factions.
    Very true...but good lord above I am so damn sick of these bloody Franks and their magically appearing stacks in my save game. At least for now they have vanished off into deeper parts of the dark and foreboding lands of the unwashed and uncivilized....I wanna finish of the lazyges as well but those damn reinforcing stacks of horse archers of doom really put the dampers on things

As for those Quadi. Damn them. Damn them all to hell. The bane of every wannabe Emperor in this game.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Yeah you're right Julianus, but .. my goodness, those full stacks of ferocious Quadi are a pain in the arse! This because they are threatening the most important place (at least for me) on the whole map: Sirmium!

I need Sirmium, I need the quality troops I can recruit there, I need my legions and, with them, the imperial glory in its full splendor, but .. between me and glory, there are the Quadi! Always plotting in the shadows, always treacherous, traitorous, always incomprehensible and and always dangerous! My goodness how much I hate the Quadi!
    My solution to the Quaddi question is to use Rome and (when I build the appropriate building) Constantinople as Carroballistae factories. Those things annihilate the Quadi at range, especially on bridges, especially if you abuse a bug that lets them have essentially limitless ammunition if the unit they were last tasked to kill isn't dead when they run out of ammo. So long as you give no additional orders they'll keep firing regardless until the unit is dead.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

AntonioHundangir's Avatar Tiro

My suggest diocle, is (like ever...) in sun tzu: guerrilla. In 4 century there wasnt that large use of hunnic foederati, etc like later, but you have valuable horsr archers, skirmishers etc for the rhine, where the germans armies are mostly composed of infantry, you can easily harass them with limitanei troops (when they besiege your cities, sally out with cavalry, then with hit snd run attavks and simulated retreats you kill much possible of them, so withdraw in city.) and only later attack tgem with the field army (use the limitanei as possible you can! The field arny is precious).
    For the danube the problem is that those germans have a huge scythian cavalry (sarmatians, etc) well dont battle them in open field, you ll risk your elite infantry. Make them besiege your fortified towns, and when they assault your city, kill them all. (their cavalry is almost useful there....). When they divide their armies for loot countryside, surprise little ebemy groups and massacre them, but dont engage field battles with their full stack.

Like belisarius in italy: guerrilla, and siege warfare. Exploit the late roman army specialities! It s a long system that require a long attrition war that devastate the countryside, but is the safety solution than a field battle where allso of you win, you ll loodr many men.
    In invasio barbarorum 2 i match with soisson or concilium britannia whole barbarian nations in that way. The west germans with their infantry armies arent really a problem.... By limitanei, and later by field armies you can easily desteoy them with your cavalry, missile. But the east germans yes, with their huge cavalry armies are a problem, not like persia (i never succedeed in conquer ctesifon in SAI....) but enough strong.
    So act in the civil wars: surprise attavks based on speed, siege warfsre, etc NO FIELD BATTLES. Hit, run, and escape before they come, like SUN TZU SAD: ATTACK WHERE THERE ISNT THE ENEMY. AVOID THE STRONG POINTS, ATTAVK THE WEAK.....
    And if you srent sure to win, dont fight!
    The best lesson of sun tzu is that sometime the best way to win is not fight at all....
    Last edited by AntonioHundangir; July 04, 2017 at 09:07 PM.
    "regina caeli, sive tu Ceres,
    alma frugum parens originalis,
    quae, repertu laetata filiae,
    vetustatae glandis ferino remoto pabulo,
    miti commostrato cibo nunc,
    eleusiniam gleba percolis." - prayer to Kerres (Cerere, Benevolentissima Mater)

"Respice post te. Hominem te memento. Memento mori.". (look behind you, remember you're a man. Remember you must die.)

The only thing that makes the Quaddi slightly more troublesome than say the Alemanni or the Franks is their bow cavalry.

Yes, thanks for your suggestions AH.

I've waged war against the Quadi in three campaigns with Iulianus, and in two and half campaigns with Procopius. I find easier having to deal with them starting from the East, that is, playing Procopius, Constantius or Valens; possibly this it's due to the proximity of good recruitment centers in the East compared to any Western Campaign.

In any case usually I succeed in doing the job employing three full stacks (perhaps an Army Corp in Napoleonic terms?): one composed by palatine and comitatenses troops with a lot of artillery and heavy and extra heavy horse, the other two composed by average experienced limitanei troops, with few comitatenses units to strengthen their morale, with a lot of medium or light horse and as much light artillery as I can.
    Usually I don't even try to follow them in depth on the other side of the Danube river, if they find a good location there, I let them doing what they want, they are useful in stopping any foreign attempt to penetrate into the Balkans.

.. Quadi are not subjects of my hate, they are just temporary objects of my desires; so, they are not my main target, it happens they become a relevant tactical target, just because they are on the way of other more important targets and tasks of my imperial startegy of world domination .. Mwahahahahah! .. Mwahahahaahahah! .. Mwahahahaahahahah!

nstead i do punitive expeditions oltre limes for punish the tribes that attacked me. (like Barbero sad: the limes wasnt built for avoid that some band of robbers penetrate ib roman territory. It was built for not let them exit.... who ever penetrate my province must be automatic subject to the law. If you ebter without permission i defeat the robbers, and organize the punishmebt then (usually raze to ground their villages, kill or enslave the peoples, and kill the royal family first of all. And force them to pay war costs. The next king, now ruling over a desolated wood, will be much more easy in future with forced diplomacy (used only after severely defeat them.). Just early today i destroyed some army of franks (killing their kings witg an assassin before the battle) and ebslaved many of thenm (the army was commanded by the pretorian prefect. I dobt respect the dominate rule of dont mix civilian and military duties. I m traditionalists and for me the pretorian prefect still the pretorian prefect, also if without his glorious cohorts. He s the men after the emperor in ranks. Do i give him military duties. I killed half of them with the limitanei army and the police forcr (a full stack army, a couple of legio ripenses, with the auxiliary cohorts, some police force cohort, and the limitanei cavalry.) and when they was heavily weakened i sent the field army, that so loosed very few men. (precious. If you can resolce your problem with the limitanei is better.). I m continuing my anti christian policy ofc (julian campaign) but also against the eastern monotheistic cultd (mithras, sol invictus, etc i dont destroy their temples, but i m basing my policy on the tradition of rome. I plan to place the capital in rome in future when i ll conquer italy, and so build temples to the traditional gods, mars, cerere, mercurius, etc later prefer to use protectores like a elite guard unit in campaign, and not like garrison in rome. About the other eastern cults, simply i dont improve sol invictus and mithraist temples. But if the christian churchs cause unrest in some city, i destroy it. While in the areas heavily christianized like north africs, i tollerate them until they dont cause revolts. Reconquered the agri decumantes indeed, and named the settlement "colonia romula". Just like maxentius i m trying to basing my work on the tradition.). I plan, one step to timez to use those defeated frankish, saxon, and alemanni foederati (penetrated deeply in germania. Until baltic shores. But only for punishment and subject those tribes. Not for conquer. I wanna only control them undirectly.) against the quadi and sarmati in illyria, and later quadi and sarmati mercenaries against constantius. Plan to retake dacia too..... And to rule alone on the whole empire XD i m akso giving again command duties to the senators (like sallutius in gaul). Rome need to look back for survive in my campaign. Xd (indeed julian seems to me too.... Donno. But is mithraist and much other., is too linked with the eastern empire for me. Need a western traditionalist old fashoned man for my work. Ahaha)

"Respice post te. Hominem te memento. Memento mori.". (look behind you, remember you're a man. Remember you must die.)

Btw diocle, if in future i ll need a co emperor (ruling alone is difficult, and i dont wanna leave the east in the hands of constantius and his gang of eunuchs and priests. That force me to run here and there over the empire for suppress revolts and destroy barbarian invaders.) i ll name you western caesar. With your name you re good. Xd ahah we ll do a new tetrarchy.
    Last edited by AntonioHundangir; July 19, 2017 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonioHundangir View Post
    Btw diocle, if in future i ll need a co emperor (ruling alone is difficult, and i dont wanna leave the east in the hands of constantius and his gang of eunuchs and priests. That force me to run here and there over the empire for suppress revolts and destroy barbarian invaders.) i ll name you western caesar. With your name you re good. Xd ahah we ll do a new tetrarchy.
    I'm ready to serve! Thanks my beloved!

I think that in the forth century having such a man as Diocletianus it would have been a dream for them!
    Great and long military experience, perfect knowledge of the Roman military machine, clear tactical strategic analysis, realistic and objective political vision, decision in choices, attention to detail, as well as to the great political fresco of his time, perfect timing in decision taking, deep understanding of the "arcana imperii" of the two parts, sense of duty, incredible moral and intellectual discipline, strong personality, authoritative but not authoritarian, knowledgeable and attentive interpreter of men and characters, with their weaknesses and qualities, strong Roman nationalism combined with an incredible spirit of sacrifice and service. Given the political panorma around us, a dream even today, I'd say.

Reading just now the diocletian of giulio castelli. (i have read in only 1 day the first book of roma caput mundi of frediani two days ago. The last pretorian about milvius bridge battle. A romanced story of sesto martiniano, a very enemy of constantine (he married also minervina, the mother of crispus, former lover of constantine, that was sent away after he married fausta. But is probable that they had some affair also before. Btw some source suggest she was very depressed for that, and for this begin to work in a lupanare. Martinianus then stopped it, and married her. (she was christian too. But martinianus not. The few sources we have about him tell he was proudly traditionalist, ane bickered with his wife that educated their sons like christians.). He fought for maxentius maybe, (maybe he was a pretorian officer?) and later for licinius (that s sure. Licinius named martinianus co emperor before the last civil war. SEEMS (MAYBE. IS ALL MAYBE HERE) that behind them, there was probably the famous "illyriciani" military junta that was ruling by 40 years. Claudius II, Aurelian, Probus, Carus, Diocletian, etc was all members of the junta usually they was officers passed from the special command of sirmium. Not all was illyrians. Carus was a gaul for example. But everyone was passed from the "inter provincial special command of sirmium", a real "province of war" thst regroup several provinces. If the members did try to establish a dinasty, they was killed (probus, carus, etc) , the junta was against a dinasty. (if a nee dinasty rise, their decisional power fall. With a long dinasty, the decisional power of the military staff was weakened. Diocletian understood it, and also for avoid to be killed, established the thetrarchy, and welcomed the persian etiquette, kings for god s will etc that s for avoid to be killed easily. But it was the prelude to the medieval and late roman monarchies.. Yet Gallienus in 253 i guess tried to suppress the command of sirmium for avoid a dangerous source of power and plots. Created the protectores too for that. But was useless..... The same protectores often was illyriciani, officers that served in the special staff of sirmium, and indeed he was killed by them.) The last illyriciani supported licinius and martinianus against constantine, (by now the old 3rd century anarchist system was obsolete. But constantine wasnt better....). Martinian seems to be a good militart commander. And hetge sources say he was admired by constantine too. He eas executed witg licinius one year after their defeat. BTW, OFF TOPIC. MUST CLEAN MY PROVINCES BY THE BARBARIANS AND THE BAGAUDE. CONSTANTIUS II MADE A MESS INVITING THE GERMANIC TRIBES TO ATTACK MAGNENTIUS.