Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Play DarthMod Empire on Mac

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Icon1 How to Play DarthMod Empire on Mac

I play on the feral interactive version I installed off a disc, so it is possible that steam users may have to do slightly different things, such as maybe use quotations around the mods in the command line in advanced options, or use a preferences.empire_script.txt for example.

So I've been looking around and I cant find any threads with clear instructions on how to play DarthMod on the Mac, so I'll make a basic set of instructions.

BTW, anything about making a blank text file called 'empire.exe' and editing preferences.empire_script is garbage.

1. Download Wine and Winebottler from here. These are necessary to run .exe files such as the installers and launcher. Well actually it's just wine that does that, but more on that later...

2. So you've downloaded those two^. Now just download DarthMod v8.0 and the 8.0.1 patch. Dunno why I'm even pointing this out tbh

3. Open the 8.0 platinum .exe and select the first option: 'run directly in...' This should open an install wizard. First you should back up your vanilla ETW game. I just copy-pasted it within my applications and named the new one 'DarthMod Empire' When selecting the directory to install into on the wizard, select mycomputer>z>applications>DarthMod Empire.app>contents>resources>Data. 'Data' contains a folder called called 'data' with a lowercase 'd'. This is the file that the installer will do most of the work on. Do the same for the patch.

4. Once everything is installed nice and comfy, open the launcher called DME_platinum.exe with wine located in Data>data>DME. Select 'run in' once again. Select your preferred settings on the launcher and click start. Press 'ok' for all the 'file not found' messages. Wait for the launcher to finish moving the relevant .pack files from Data>data>DME>packs to Data>data. I do know that if the correct startpos file for the DME early campaign is in data>campaign>main then the British and French start off with territories in mainland India.

5. You may close the launcher selecting 'DME ready' once it has finished moving the DME files, but NOT ALL OF THEM. Some that aren't used in your current settings chosen in the launcher will remain in Data>data>DME>packs. I highly reccomend you go into “packs” and select the particular files you want manually and place them in ‘data’ (lowercase d). These pack files are the ones that caused the errors for the launcher.

I reccomend first manually adding pack files to mimic my own list in the post below, after that experiment to what suits your preferrered game!

6. Open DarthMod Empire.app and go to the advanced options page in the launcher. If the launcher doesn't show up when opening the app, try again but hold down cmd while it's opening. Type in 'mod DME_darthmod.pack; mod BSM_ON.pack;........' etc for every .pack file in the data folder. (Take note that that you may have BSM_OFF.pack or BSM_Light.pack instead depending on what setting you chose for the blood/smoke option). It is essential you do this for every .pack file.

EDIT: Some users may have to use quotation marks around each pack in the AO, perhaps it's if you have the steam version?

7. Click play.

KNOWN BUGS:The main menu screen doesn't have the DarthMod background video. I think this is because the DarthMod splash isn't a .mov file, which it probably needs to be for mac.

PS As I am a noob at modding (only having joined this forum about a month ago), I probably won't have answers to most of people's questions... But I'll try my best

EDIT: To fix the unit card bug, add DME_AUM.pack and DME_UnitsPack.pack. I don't know what it does exactly, but i reccomend adding DME_SkinPack.pack, as it may have custom skins for units, such as proper redcoat uniform for british line infantry. You should also add DME_Navy.pack for the navy's less cartoonish unit cards. But the the absolute NECESSITY is to add DME_Custom.pack.

DME_Custom.pack contains the new nation flags e.g. Prussia/Spain, and the new campaign map's map (on the bottom right), as well as other general visual changes.
    Last edited by Aexodus; August 25, 2018 at 07:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Play DarthMod Empire on Mac

This is what I put in my advanced options:

mod DME_Custom.pack; mod DME_SkinPack.pack; mod DME_UnitsPack.pack; mod DME_Navy.pack; mod DME_AUM.pack; mod DME_darthmod.pack; mod DME_boot.pack; mod DME_BSM_Light.pack; mod DME_campaign.pack; mod DME_HUDTRANS.pack; mod DME_MediaUC.pack; mod DME_Media.pack; mod DME_SkiesBlueSkies.pack; mod DME_Sounds.pack; mod DME_UPC_v1_3_spanish.pack; mod DME_UPC_v6_3.pack; mod DME_Music_ON.pack; mod DME_DFMGEN.pack;

And these are the settings I use, taken from dme_log.txt:

Selected Options:

Selected campaign: Early
    Turns per Year: 2
    Trails: off
    Artillery: Normal
    Grenades: off
    Language: En
    Research Rate: Normal
    Forts: on
    Deploy: Normal
    BSM: light
    Weather: on
    Borders: off
    Arrows: Green
    Font Size: Off
    Battlefield Borders: off
    HUD Type: Transparent
    Darth Greeting: off
    Enhanced Battle Sounds: on
    Brigadier Graham's Music: on
    Caligula's Drum & Fife: general

* <- --- ->
    User Script Entries:

* 21:25:44 -> mod DME_campaign.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_BSM_Light.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_Navy.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_darthmod.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_Custom.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_SkinPack.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_UnitsPack.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_AUM.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_HUDTRANS.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_DFMGEN.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_Sounds.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_Music_ON.pack;
    * 21:25:44 -> mod DME_SkiesBlueSkies.pack;
    * <- --- ->
    DME packs in data:

* 21:25:44 -> DME_AUM.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_boot.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_BSM_Light.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_campaign.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_darthmod.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_DFMGEN.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_HUDTRANS.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_Media.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_MediaUC.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_Music_ON.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_SkiesBlueSkies.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_SkinPack.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_Sounds.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_UnitsPack.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_UPC_v1_3_spanish.pack
    * 21:25:44 -> DME_UPC_v6_3.pack

[QUOTE=Aexodus;15352588]This is what I put in my advanced options:

mod DME_Custom.pack; mod DME_SkinPack.pack; mod DME_UnitsPack.pack; mod DME_Navy.pack; mod DME_AUM.pack; mod DME_darthmod.pack; mod DME_boot.pack; mod DME_BSM_Light.pack; mod DME_campaign.pack; mod DME_HUDTRANS.pack; mod DME_MediaUC.pack; mod DME_Media.pack; mod DME_SkiesBlueSkies.pack; mod DME_Sounds.pack; mod DME_UPC_v1_3_spanish.pack; mod DME_UPC_v6_3.pack; mod DME_Music_ON.pack; mod DME_DFMGEN.pack;

Thanks for posting this guide. I've gotten to the stage where I open the launcher and select my settings (similar to yours) but I can't launch the game with the .packs typed into advanced without crashing to desktop. The farthest I get is the very first ETW title screen. I just have a few questions.

First, do you use quotes around the .pack names? And second, do you enter anything in the user script before pressing play? When I look at my user script after going through step 4 it appears unchanged by the DME launcher. I see DME putting the relevant .packs in my data folder, and I've even manually put in the startpos and scripting corresponding to my dm settings but I still can't get beyond the first title screen. I'm going to keep tweaking things around but It'd be great to get some clarification on your process.

Thanks a ton for the guide! I too am new to mods and computer gaming in general, but I followed these instructions and although they didn't initially work and my game would crash to desktop after freezing on the opening title screen, I found a way to get past this. I removed the vanilla boot.pack from the data folder (transferring it to an ETW backup folder of course), put the DME_boot.pack in it's place and renamed it boot.pack. To test out if it would worked I opened it with no other mods aside from the custom startpos and scripting files. The game fired up as usual. Then I put DME_Custom.pack in the data folder and typed mod "DME_Custom.pack"; into the advanced options. The game opened up all the way and the menu says DarthMod Empire, the map has changed, etc. I will have to see if further .packs can be added from here.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 01, 2017 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.

very noble attitude mate, but there was already something like this..
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Mac-Mod-Guide

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=MacFitzchet;15353300]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    This is what I put in my advanced options:

Thanks for posting this guide. I've gotten to the stage where I open the launcher and select my settings (similar to yours) but I can't launch the game with the .packs typed into advanced without crashing to desktop. The farthest I get is the very first ETW title screen. I just have a few questions.

First, do you use quotes around the .pack names? And second, do you enter anything in the user script before pressing play? When I look at my user script after going through step 4 it appears unchanged by the DME launcher. I see DME putting the relevant .packs in my data folder, and I've even manually put in the startpos and scripting corresponding to my dm settings but I still can't get beyond the first title screen. I'm going to keep tweaking things around but It'd be great to get some clarification on your process.

Thanks a ton for the guide! I too am new to mods and computer gaming in general, but I followed these instructions and although they didn't initially work and my game would crash to desktop after freezing on the opening title screen, I found a way to get past this. I removed the vanilla boot.pack from the data folder (transferring it to an ETW backup folder of course), put the DME_boot.pack in it's place and renamed it boot.pack. To test out if it would worked I opened it with no other mods aside from the custom startpos and scripting files. The game fired up as usual. Then I put DME_Custom.pack in the data folder and typed mod "DME_Custom.pack"; into the advanced options. The game opened up all the way and the menu says DarthMod Empire, the map has changed, etc. I will have to see if further .packs can be added from here.
    I also had this very problem when trying to install the mod.

Don't put speech marks around the packs in advanced options. Idk why a lot of forums say to do so but don't.

I didn't remove any vanilla files, so I don't think that's your problem.

you can probably delete your user script, the installer never made one for me and the only file i have in 'scripts' is preferences.empire_script, which is completely unaltered. Btw, I've had a look at the launcher and the startpos and scripting files are moved by it, so no need to do it manually.

Basically, the only thing you should be doung manually is adding custom.pack and all the unit pack files, and putting them into advanced options. Don't touch the 'scripts' file in 'Appdata' (I think thats where its found).
    Last edited by Aexodus; July 01, 2017 at 09:43 AM.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 007Jua007 View Post
    very noble attitude mate, but there was already something like this..
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Mac-Mod-Guide
    They didn't get darthmod empire working properly on mac, they did get darthmod on Napoleon working tho.
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

@Aexodus Thanks man. I'm going to try your method next time I decide to change my settings. I've learned a lot about modding on Mac in the past few daysb and now I've found out there's many ways to get things working (and even more ways for them not to). Ive been using quotes in advanced options and plugging everything in manually to see which packs work and I've discovered that the principles of load order is very relevant when doing this. I only got the darthmod.pack (which contains the majority of new and unique units for every faction among other things) working when I put it in FIRST because it is such a large .pack. On top of the custom.pack, right now (off the top of my head) I'm running darthmod.pack, units.pack, AUM.pack, navy.pack, BSM_Light.pack, Music_ON.pack, Media.pack, skins.pack, UPC_v6_3.pack. I have no issues with missing unit cards and am playing as Hannover with no issues aside from one CTD when viewing the traits of a minister but the game fired up again with no issue and I was able to view that same minister upon reentering my campaign although the portrait was glitched.

@007Jua007 I learned most of what I know about modding on Mac from that thread; it was what led me to this thread. I will be sharing my findings there too.

Blog Entries

Hey Mac, do you run MediaUC.pack as well? And do you run DME_UPC_v1_3_spanish.pack, as I'm wondering if it literally just adds spanish as a language option. The launcher just gave me those packs automatically and I'm not so sure how necessary they are. Also, if you could post your advanced options that'd be nice, I wanna try putting mine in the same order

Here's what I put in my advanced options:

mod "DME_darthmod.pack"; mod "DME_MediaWP.pack"; mod "DME_SkiesBlueSkies.pack"; mod "DME_MediaRTI.pack"; mod "DME_MediaUC.pack"; mod "DME_DFMGEN.pack"; mod "DME_Grenades_ON.pack"; mod "DME_Fonts2step.pack"; mod "DME_Navy.pack"; mod "DME_Custom.pack"; mod "DME_Sounds.pack"; mod "DME_Media.pack"; mod "DME_AUM.pack"; mod "DME_BSM_Light.pack"; mod "DME_Music_ON.pack"; mod "DME_UnitsPack.pack"; mod "DME_SkinPack.pack"; mod "DME_UPC_v6_3.pack";

I can't run campaign.pack without getting the all bench flag bug when I open Grand Campaign. However, that may be because of compatibility issues with the custom campaign startups that unlocks minor factions. I'm not sure if the Grenades_ON.pack works or not because I may have to research improved grenades to unlock them. I already have many grenadier units I can recruit but none have the grenade throwing option yet.The ones between darthmod and custom were mostly added later without thought for load order on my part but they all seem to be working. I've been playing Hannover for the last few days and while it once seemed to be getting the Ottoman turn bug, it has worked itself out even though the ottomans haven't been losing territory from what I can tell. I think the crash I just had more to do with me playing pretty much non-stop than any issues with mods. I've never had a campaign like the before. The AI is much more expansionist and the great powers must be kept in check especially when you're playing as a minor faction. The AI is still warmongering against me to a great extent but my allies are useful and I am having success beating them into peace and buying them off when possible.

As far as the spanish.pack goes, I think you're right about it being for language support; I've run it before without crashing but I don't think it does anything else. I once tried running the french and german packs thinking they provided more units but I think they too are language support and I'm guessing they conflict with one another. Also when looking back at the packs darthmod.pack isn't the biggest but I'm still thinking it is contented to the other mods somehow and I'm leaving it where it is in my advanced options because this has been giving me the best results.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MacFitzchet View Post
    Here's what I put in my advanced options:

mod "DME_darthmod.pack"; mod "DME_MediaWP.pack"; mod "DME_SkiesBlueSkies.pack"; mod "DME_MediaRTI.pack"; mod "DME_MediaUC.pack"; mod "DME_DFMGEN.pack"; mod "DME_Grenades_ON.pack"; mod "DME_Fonts2step.pack"; mod "DME_Navy.pack"; mod "DME_Custom.pack"; mod "DME_Sounds.pack"; mod "DME_Media.pack"; mod "DME_AUM.pack"; mod "DME_BSM_Light.pack"; mod "DME_Music_ON.pack"; mod "DME_UnitsPack.pack"; mod "DME_SkinPack.pack"; mod "DME_UPC_v6_3.pack";

I can't run campaign.pack without getting the all bench flag bug when I open Grand Campaign. However, that may be because of compatibility issues with the custom campaign startups that unlocks minor factions. I'm not sure if the Grenades_ON.pack works or not because I may have to research improved grenades to unlock them. I already have many grenadier units I can recruit but none have the grenade throwing option yet.The ones between darthmod and custom were mostly added later without thought for load order on my part but they all seem to be working. I've been playing Hannover for the last few days and while it once seemed to be getting the Ottoman turn bug, it has worked itself out even though the ottomans haven't been losing territory from what I can tell. I think the crash I just had more to do with me playing pretty much non-stop than any issues with mods. I've never had a campaign like the before. The AI is much more expansionist and the great powers must be kept in check especially when you're playing as a minor faction. The AI is still warmongering against me to a great extent but my allies are useful and I am having success beating them into peace and buying them off when possible.
    Cheers for the info, can't help but notice that you're not running boot.pack, it hasn't given me any problems. Also, I've never had any problems with a french flag bug due to the campaign.pack, but then again I am playing a DME early campaign as GB. Also, maybe the fact that you seem to be running all the media .packs could be doing something... Also, I put the custom.pack near the start, it seems to be a big one (960 MB compared to darthmod.pack's 3.3 :0)

Thanks for the guide. I managed to get DarthMod working but I ran into a problem with the trading port regions and ships.
    For example, I started a UP campaign and I soon found that my fleet in the East Indies could not be moved at all. And whenever I select a fleet and try to move it to another map by clicking the highlighted area on the edge of the ocean the selection window does not show up.
    Did you run into anything like that? I think the problem is not with the .pack files because if I simply turn off the advanced options I still cannot travel between maps.

Quote Originally Posted by raptuzu View Post
    Thanks for the guide. I managed to get DarthMod working but I ran into a problem with the trading port regions and ships.
    For example, I started a UP campaign and I soon found that my fleet in the East Indies could not be moved at all. And whenever I select a fleet and try to move it to another map by clicking the highlighted area on the edge of the ocean the selection window does not show up.
    Did you run into anything like that? I think the problem is not with the .pack files because if I simply turn off the advanced options I still cannot travel between maps.
    *update
    I used my backup file to restore the game and then and reinstall DarthMod and this time looks like it works. I still don't know the exact reason. Even though as I said before, in the previous install when I turn off advanced options I still had the problem. But the difference is that this time I install with 0 other mods, and I first used DarthMod's initial setting and then make one change at a time until i reach my previous configuration. Now I have no problem at all. So I can only guess that it was a mod conflict and still somehow persists after turning off advanced options. Perhaps the conflict initially corrupted my save file.

Blog Entries

I remember reading somewhere, Darth saying that while it's not impossible, he doesn't really reccomend using DME with other mods, as it is a big mod. 7 GB actually And no I've never had your problem. I've been quite lucky actually, all I've really had are random CTDs from over-playing.

Blog Entries

Actually, I added some Bran Mac Born mods, which caused me to have exactly the same problem. What extra mods did you use, and is anything at all in particular that you think may have caused the bug?

Hello !
    What do you mean by "copy/paste the vanilla game in Application" ? You mean the folder called "Empire Total War" that is in "Steamapps>common" ?
    Thx for your advice

Blog Entries

I don't play the steam version, I bought my game on a disc from feral interactive. So I don't even know if you can have multiple 'builds' like I do... But no I mean the Macintosh HD\Applications folder.

OK, so I thought I'd follow this guide and try and get DarthMod Empire working. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've fiddled around with any mods, but… I can't figure out what I'm meant to do.

I've downloaded/converted (from .rar to .exe, via The Unarchiver) DarthMod_Empire_v8.0_Platinum.exe and DarthMod_Empire_v8.0.1_Patch_Platinum_Final.exe. They're both sitting in my Downloads folder.

I have (of course) Empire: Total War – Gold Edition in applications.

I used the link you supplied to download WineBottler/Wine (the former seems to include the latter), and moved Wine and WineBottler to my Applications folder.

3. Open the 8.0 platinum .exe and select 'run in...' This should open an install wizard. First you should back up your vanilla ETW game. I just copy-pasted it within my applications and named the new one 'DarthMod Empire' When selecting the directory to install into on the wizard, select mycomputer>z>applications>DarthMod Empire.app>contents>resources>Data. 'Data' contains a folder called called 'data' with a lowercase 'd'. This is the file that the installer will do most of the work on. Do the same for the patch.
    When I double-click on DarthMod_Empire_v8.0_Platinum.exe a Wine window comes up giving me two choices:

1. Run directly in blablabla CrossOver (I had a trial of that which has since expired)
    2. Convert to simple OS X Application bundle with WineBottler

So I select the second option and Go. Then I get an overwhelmingly complicated (yellow) window with options such as "Prefix Template", "Installation mode", "Winetricks"…

What I am missing? This doesn't seem to be the "install wizard" you describe (how can I choose an install directory?).

Ah! OK. So it *is* the first option, "Run directly in…", and then (for me, at least) the third option from the drop-down menu, /Users/*me*/Library/Application Support/com.yourcompany.yourapp_*lotso'numbers*. Not very intuitive (though the previous CrossOver installation muddied the waters), but I shall persist!

Blog Entries

As I remember, I selected ‘run directly in’ and from there it doesn’t matter what prefix you use, I just used the default.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast