Thread: Converting XML to PACK - using Pack File Manager

Icon5 Converting XML to PACK - using Pack File Manager

Hi all. I have decided to modify the colours of the units' uniforms. I find that they all look the same from above, and the banners are almost just as bad. Basically, there are currently three colours that may be modified, but they don't change every piece of armour. Thus, making changing armour colour a moot point for the most part.

I was looking at two tools: the latest Pack File Manager by Daniu, as well as the tool provided by Steam/Creative Assembly (The Assembly Kit). By playing around with that tool, I saw you could edit units there, and I saw the names of some specific items.

Examples (of the helmet names):
    laced_suii_bachi_kabuto_tex
    laced_zunari_kabuto_tex
    zunari_kabuto_tex
    suji_bachi_kabuto_tex

Ultimately, I created an XML file using the tool that The Assembly Kit provided. But then, I came to a roadblock trying to use the Pack File Manager afterwards. I realized I couldn't correctly load an XML file to thereafter convert it into a PACK file.

After all, I need to test out to see if adding those item parts (using numbers as the rgb colours) is possible. I added what I think would be correct. I followed the structure of the file, as I added these above for the Hattori clan. But, I can't seem to create a PACK file whatsoever, by using the content of the XML file.

My question is, how could I create a PACK file from the contents of an XML file?

Default Re: Converting XML to PACK - using Pack File Manager

You'll need to use the BoB bundled with the Assembly Kit. That tool's use is among others convert the xml into db, then pack it. I should warn that S2's BoB aren't as reliable as R2 or Attila's BoB, it tends to convert all xml and pack all the db, even the ones you're not want to pack. This is why editing the result pack using PFM is advisable.

Hi. I realized that I was trying to use the raw data (and not the working data, hence the failure) - so trying it again after you suggested it worked. However, the new generated pack file fails. The game just crashes 4 times (though I need to press ctrl+alt+dlt to get to my desktop - go figure).

Note that the file I modified - I only modified the Uesugi clan, after seeing that adding Hattori failed - doesn't display the info it should via the Pack File Manager.
    When I try opening the file with the Pack File Manager afterwards to see if my data is there, I get the following message when I click on "faction_uniform_colours_sami.xml". Have no idea what that even means:

If you made the pack file using the assembly kit, it is possible that you did something oddly or that the assembly kit version wasn't kept up to date with the game version so the table format doesn't match. What I am curious about is why your table in the pack file is called "faction_uniform_colours_sami.xml." I assume you changed the table name at some point, which is good practice, but where did the ".xml" come from? Looking at the main game's files, tables in that folder aren't labeled as xml files.

hi every body i have file extension .pack https://mega.nz/#!SIUkUKhY!okTbBDFD4ntOuzeRhoKN6ExpMVDMx4bq0M6zPmy1tSk

did any one here have a solution to make it readable or convert it to other format like xml i would be grateful it's been more than a month that im searching for a solution thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4mouad View Post
    hi every body i have file extension .pack https://mega.nz/#!SIUkUKhY!okTbBDFD4ntOuzeRhoKN6ExpMVDMx4bq0M6zPmy1tSk

did any one here have a solution to make it readable or convert it to other format like xml i would be grateful it's been more than a month that im searching for a solution thanks
    You can use PFM to open those files and see them.

thanks for your reply i just want to know if i should have Total War WARHAMMER II installed on my pc so PFM could work because it gives me many errors on program lunch ?

thanks for your reply i just want to know if i should have Total War WARHAMMER II installed on my pc so PFM could work because it gives me many errors on program lunch ?
    uhm, with steam it will install the game (default) to your C drive.

my question is :
    is this program could run perfectly without "Total War WARHAMMER II " installed on my pc ?

my question is :
    is this program could run perfectly without "Total War WARHAMMER II " installed on my pc ?
    if it's for S2TW, than it doesn't matter if you have WH2TW installed or not.

PFM technically doesn't need any Total War games to be installed to work. However, it does sometimes throw errors if there isn't a Total War game installed on startup as it tries to figure out which game's folders to be looking at. Typically you can just continue past these errors and PFM will work fine though because it doesn't need to know what game a pack file is for to open and edit it.