Thread: Alexander steam - failed to read censored word dictionary file:data//chat_filter.san

Default Alexander steam - failed to read censored word dictionary file:data//chat_filter.san

Hi I heard that the alexander steam version is the only steam game that works with this mod, I made sure it's installed in the correct place

(In a new folder where I copied the whole alexander directionary, and then installed the mod into that folder).

I have win 10 and with some hazzle I got vanilla alexander to work with the modified preference.txt file, but I keep gettting this error then I try to run the Bat file, that I mentioned in the title.
    Last edited by mega nix; June 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM.

Default Re: Alexander steam - failed to read censored word dictionary file:data//chat_filter.san

Yeah I followed the rules, couldn't get 2.5 to work, added 2.6 and got this mess. I've been trying to get it so I can play a submod, about to quit trying.

I don't know where to begin, it really seems like the RS team throughout the years left a lot of buggy code and instead of fixing it more errors were added as features were. I've never found a mod that takes this much work to install.

I realize this comes across as harsh. It's not meant to attack everyone's hard work, but sometimes the basic stuff needs to be kept up by those who know the file structure inside and out.
    Last edited by Slaytaninc; November 10, 2018 at 10:03 PM.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Default Re: Alexander steam - failed to read censored word dictionary file:data//chat_filter.san

Give up get win 7

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Yeah I followed the rules, couldn't get 2.5 to work, added 2.6 and got this mess. I've been trying to get it so I can play a submod, about to quit trying.

I don't know where to begin, it really seems like the RS team throughout the years left a lot of buggy code and instead of fixing it more errors were added as features were. I've never found a mod that takes this much work to install.

I realize this comes across as harsh. It's not meant to attack everyone's hard work, but sometimes the basic stuff needs to be kept up by those who know the file structure inside and out.
    It's got nothing to do with the mod, steam broke RTW/BI with updates to include multi-player after Gamespy's servers went down, the reason why RS only works with the Alexander Expansion is because it is a standalone and did not receive those updates. Although I don't have my RTW Anthology on steam and also use Windows 7, I have never had a problem installing RS and it does not require a lot of work at all, it's quite straight forward and easy to understand. I also have the RSII submod When Worlds Collide and that has a slightly different install procedure but is not that difficult to install either. Several people have indicated that this youtube guide helped them to install on steam, hope it can help you too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOhyGx2NhQ
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; November 11, 2018 at 01:31 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Civis

It's easy to get this mod working with Steam:
    1. Install Alexander to 'steamapps/common' and run it one time
    2. Create a 'RS3' folder inside the 'Rome Total War Alexander' folder (not 'alexander' folder)
    3. Copy (not move) all of the Rome Total War Alexander files into the 'RS3' folder
    4. Install 2.5 into the RS3 folder
    5. Install the 2.6 files, replacing everything
    6. Run the launcher exe located in 'launcher' folder
    7. Click on 'Steam' button and click 'Yes'
    8. When prompted, enter your Steam login username (not the username that your friends see)
    9. Adjust settings/campaign then play
    10. BOOM!

Sorry, still didn't work.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Sorry, still didn't work.
    Have you tried copying the chat_filter.san file from your alexander/data folder and pasting into the directory data folder?

Hello Saul,

I followed your instructions. I can launch the game but after choosing the faction the game crashes.
    I have the steam version of Alexander en rtw gold. From rtw i also have the gold version as disc. Alexander i have not as a disc version.
    RS 3 with patch 3.1 i have no problems. But i want to play the mod diadochi and this mod needs version 2.6 and works only for Alexander.

I installed it on my old pc with windows 7. Same result as on my new pc with windows 10. Run the game as administrator. Read a lot on the internet and for some folks this works and others got a crash like me after choosing the faction.

Any idea how to solve this?

@Paultiger, Install 2.6 instead of 3.0 & 3.1 patch, once installed rename the Play_One_Turn then install Diadochi + 01 patch

PS: once you have installed Diadochi remember to click on "delete rwm" tab on the launcher? you have to do this or you get a ctd
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 30, 2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Have you tried copying the chat_filter.san file from your alexander/data folder and pasting into the directory data folder?
    Hey Saul, I'm having the same issue as the OP. I did try this solution and it did not work, gives the same error.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Hey Saul, I'm having the same issue as the OP. I did try this solution and it did not work, gives the same error.
    I'm sorry but I'm not very understanding of this issue as I don't use steam and never had the problem with the physical copy, I just ask around then pass on what information I get from others concerning steam issues as I try to help players with game problems, here is another "fix" you can try that I was given from an experienced player....Right click the game in your Library, click properties, then on the Local Files tab click Verify Integrity of game cache, hope this helps
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; August 30, 2020 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    It's got nothing to do with the mod, steam broke RTW/BI with updates to include multi-player after Gamespy's servers went down, the reason why RS only works with the Alexander Expansion is because it is a standalone and did not receive those updates. Although I don't have my RTW Anthology on steam and also use Windows 7, I have never had a problem installing RS and it does not require a lot of work at all, it's quite straight forward and easy to understand. I also have the RSII submod When Worlds Collide and that has a slightly different install procedure but is not that difficult to install either. Several people have indicated that this youtube guide helped them to install on steam, hope it can help you too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNOhyGx2NhQ
    I can confirm that the instructions in this video work. But you need to follow them exactly and *do not* use the 3.1 full installer or apply the 3.1 patch. (Only the older 2.5 full installer and then the 3.0 full installer.)

Step by step, you should:

1. combine a fresh install of RTW ALX and RTW Gold (placing all the Alex folders into the Gold install, overwriting when asked.)

2. In a separate folder (e.g. called RS3) install the full 2.5, then full 3.0 (no other patches needed).

3. Copy and paste all files from the RS3 folder into your RTW Gold folder, overwriting when asked.

4. Make sure you change all relevant settings before launching the mod. Most importantly, make sure the battle and campaign resolutions are set to whatever your monitor supports.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; November 22, 2020 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    I can confirm that the instructions in this video work. But you need to follow them exactly and *do not* use the 3.1 full installer or apply the 3.1 patch. (Only the older 2.5 full installer and then the 3.0 full installer.)

Step by step, you should:

1. combine a fresh install of RTW ALX and RTW Gold (placing all the Alex folders into the Gold install, overwriting when asked.)

2. In a separate folder (e.g. called RS3) install the full 2.5, then full 3.0 (no other patches needed).

3. Copy and paste all files from the RS3 folder into your RTW Gold folder, overwriting when asked.

4. Make sure you change all relevant settings before launching the mod. Most importantly, make sure the battle and campaign resolutions are set to whatever your monitor supports.

I have had the same san-file problem, and I tried the method you suggested, though I could not find the 3,0 file anywhere. The result with 3,1 was that the san-problem disappeared, but now I get a crash to desktop when i try to launch a campaign, the loading screen appears and goes through about 75% and then I get the crash.

Do you have any thoughts on what might be the issue?

Thanks in advance