Thread: Allied forces on battlefied graphic bug

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Allied forces on battlefied graphic bug

Hey,
    Any idea how to fix this?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think its caused by an error in "battlepage" in ui/culture/interface? Or possibly by something in battle.sd (or the other one?)

Librarian's Avatar Ducenarius
    Please get me out of this hellhole of the UK

Default Re: Allied forces on battlefied graphic bug

I've had the same problem

Sent from my SM-T285 using Tapatalk

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Me, me, take me, I know

That's supposed to be the graphic for the 'missile' stance. I am guessing you are using the LNT file for vanilla and not for kingdoms? It certainly is supposed the element on the battlepage_01 file. You need to use the kingdoms LNT file and the battlepage_01 file from kingdoms.

Head over to my Bare Geomod set up and help yourself to it. Make sure you are using the kingdoms version of the fe_texture1 file as well.

Edit: non geek explanation - the kingdoms executable allows for a third stance setting (shoot out) for allied re-inforcements, which only allows the re-inforcement engagement with missile units. The required graphic is not present in the default battle_page1 graphic, nor does the default LNT file references it. Come to think of it: even if you have the correct LNT file (which you probably have) still the battle.SD.xml file (ui folder) will not have the required entry

It's these three lines in there (they reference the 'bulls eye' icons)
    Code:
                <sprite index="143" name="SUPPORT_ARMY_SHOOTOUT_BUTTON_IMAGE" page="0" left="400" right="419" top="482" bottom="501" x_offset="0" y_offset="0" alpha="1" cursor="0"/>
                <sprite index="144" name="SUPPORT_ARMY_SHOOTOUT_SELECTED_BUTTON_IMAGE" page="0" left="420" right="439" top="482" bottom="501" x_offset="0" y_offset="0" alpha="1" cursor="0"/>
                <sprite index="147" name="SUPPORT_ARMY_SHOOTOUT_ICON" page="0" left="463" right="473" top="483" bottom="493" x_offset="0" y_offset="0" alpha="1" cursor="0"/>
    Either add these lines in the XML file (numerical order\sequencing has to be observed) and increase the total sprite count at the top or simply use the file(s) from Bare Geomod as well.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 02, 2017 at 10:54 PM.

Gaming Emeritus

Thank you for explaining further. All the three lines are there (with the same numbers), and the battlepage is using kingdoms version. I tried to use fe_texture from Bare Geomod, but it hasnt changed anything either... Tried to also use your battlepage_01, which didnt fix it.

Any other idea?

ok Gig already said everything...

Just one last thing which may be of help in your case Jadli, do not forget to add this line at the bottom of the .sd.xml, in case it lacks.

<sprite index="148" name="SUPPORT_ARMY_TEST_ICON" page="0" left="463" right="473" top="483" bottom="493" x_offset="0" y_offset="0" alpha="1" cursor="0"/>

which makes the total count of sprites up to 149... It is useful to show texts on the battle reinforcements panel

Gaming Emeritus

Added that. Now the unpleasant box is not visible, but neither is the button for the missile stance.

hence, there is something wrong in the .lnt...

Btw, using all base files from Bare Geomod should solve your issue. (all entries must be, to have the correct display)...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Thank you for explaining further. All the three lines are there (with the same numbers), and the battlepage is using kingdoms version. I tried to use fe_texture from Bare Geomod, but it hasnt changed anything either... Tried to also use your battlepage_01, which didnt fix it.

Any other idea?
    Did you add the battle_page01 file to all existing culture based folders, eg data\ui\[culture name]\interface, in your mod? The lack of any display now seem to confirm that: your coordinates point to a spot in the vanilla battle_page graphic that has absolute nothing in those spots.
    Which would otherwise leave trying my LNT file and deleting the ui\battle.SD file (not the xml one) to see if it has properly generated. Please note that non sequential listing in the xml file leads to all sort of FUBAR. Copy the content of the battle.xml file here, wrap it in code tags please to preserve formatting.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 06, 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Gaming Emeritus

Yea. I used both battlepage_01 and battle.sd/xml from bare geomod, which fixed it. Pretty simple solution actually. Thank you both for help!

EDIT

Talking about that, there is a problem of very similar character (the doors next to the reinformencing army...). Solution will be probably similar. Just need to know which page/sd file could be causing this, because I dont want to overwrite everything, as there are several culture utiliezed interface files...
    Last edited by Jadli; July 09, 2017 at 07:41 AM.

Blog Entries

If you took the SD and XML file then I am thinking of graphic source - which again should the same TGA file. Did you have this situation with the TGA in place? It would need to be in the culture folder of the Morrowind faction.
    On the other hand the display also indicates that the XML entry for that element might be missing. Lemme dig a bit, if anyone can recall which symbol is supposed to be there that will help.

Edit: not sure if this is related but can you follow up on the file entries mentioned? The file itself (once more) is part of the corrected files in Bare Geomod.

Edit2: the correct symbol won't be on battle_page1 - the only difference to vanilla are the stance buttons. Which makes me think data\menu\textures\fe_texture1 - the only other graphics different in vanilla. Open that file in your mod and check if it has the EAX logo part, can't miss it if it's there. If it's missing then you are using the vanilla version AND the vanilla mtw2.lnt file. You know where to find the kingdoms versions of it

Another approach would be to compare the shared and strat XML from BG to yours. Ignore faction banner and faction symbol variances - that's usually caused by custom factions. Or simply do a test run with BG's files to check if that symbol changes.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 09, 2017 at 08:20 AM.

Gaming Emeritus

Uf, this took a lot of time, but in the end I have managed to fix it

The inproper image that it was showing was the "BUILD_BUTTON_IMAGE" that is used for opening the buildings overview. That is located on stratpage_04, so I spent lot of time trying to replace it with the same stratpage from other mods, but it didnt change anything. Then browsed all sprites in strategy.sd_xml from this file, also tried to replace many files from date/menu with no real success. Then I had an idea to find out which sprite it is by searching for "Command this army in battle" in strat.txt, as that is what the button was supposed to be saying. In the txt file I found out that goes to {SMT_PLAYER_CONTROL}, so I searched PLAYER_CONTROL in strategy.sd.xml and found the PLAYER_CONTROL_ICON, which is the one we are looking for. Its pic was on stratpage_02, as the xml was saying, so wasnt sure what was wrong. Checked other mod (SS), and in its stratpage the pic wasnt there, while the sprite was (but the bug wasnt present in the mod). So I tried to use SS stratpage and it didnt fix it. I tried other mod (HRE 0.7), checked its stratpage, and it had the pic. Thus I used HRE stratpage, and it fixed it, which is pretty weird as both, TES stratpage_02 and HRE stratpage_02, looks absolutely same (except banners), aswell as the sprites... (So I just copied the small part from HRE stratpage that includes the pic and replaced the same part of TES stratpage to include it without deleting my banners)

I am more confused than before, but at least it is now fixed

Can someone explain whats the difference between the TES stratpage and HRE one? (same actually goes to the original reason why was this thread made, as the file I replaced the battlepage_01 with was also "the same"...) There are the three strats... https://www.mediafire.com/folder/6es...ci5glp3/shared

Search for PLAYER_CONTROL_ICON in your xml to find the pic

Thank you for help anyway
    Last edited by Jadli; July 13, 2017 at 06:06 PM.

Blog Entries

I did a little test to see whether the two 'support' icons had the same source - I took the stratpage_02 from crusades and marked the two icons red (Player Control - your problem icon) and blue (Reinforcement Activation). See red circle.
    As can be seen they are both used, eg they have independent SD.XML entries. Pointing to either an SD.XML or LNT issue.

I then removed the kingdoms LNT file from the BG set up and repeated the assault - no change in the display, which rules out the LNT angle.

As to the 'non existing' issue: TGA display is a bit weird in M2TW. The most prominent example being the deleted background of portraits which displays in city view but not in the unit list (see tut here) and could be a reason why the icon is not visible in the SStratpage file from your example.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 13, 2017 at 11:49 PM.