Thread: Any quick guides for The Last Roman - Expedition ?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Any quick guides for The Last Roman - Expedition ?

Full disclosure: Haven't played the Grand Campaign. Haven't played R2TW, S2TW in some time.

I would like if possible someone to give me some tips and perhaps a quick guide about how to work with the Imperial Expedition as a loyal Imperial subject.
    I played a turn and I was overwhelmed by the new stuff.

There are a bunch of stuff I can build but I am rusty. So instead of going to the encyclopedia and reading all about agents, food production new and old buildings, unit abilities etc... I wondered if someone could direct me to a quick written guide. No videos please, English is not my native language.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: Any quick guides for The Last Roman - Expedition ?

Kinda late, but this all what came to mind, but it deals most basic stuff:

http://rakshas.net/the-roman-expedit...ast-roman-dlc/

Vandals can be dealt with your starting army setup, but Ostrogoths are too strong, you need a lot of cavalry to deal with them. I found out that my infrantry was useless against them. I also should have created couple of hordes as money making machines and kept them in Africa. When Justinian and his wife have conflict in some mission, better take wifes side, since you get income penalty which hurts pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronndar View Post
    Kinda late, but this all what came to mind, but it deals most basic stuff:

http://rakshas.net/the-roman-expedit...ast-roman-dlc/

Vandals can be dealt with your starting army setup, but Ostrogoths are too strong, you need a lot of cavalry to deal with them. I found out that my infrantry was useless against them. I also should have created couple of hordes as money making machines and kept them in Africa. When Justinian and his wife have conflict in some mission, better take wifes side, since you get income penalty which hurts pretty bad.
    Well, an hour in the game taught me the basic stuff. I kept all my hordes as money making machines except 2, that were more than enough to deal with the Ostrogoths. The mission you talk about is, near-impossible to take your wife's side! I saw the penalty, nearly crushed me. I loaded. Still couldn't go with it and made the exact same option. I was just decimating most of my forces.

My problem is: After getting victory for the Expedition, by giving Justinian Italy... I went to attack the Visigoths and declared independence. It really hurt financially. I mean, I have 4 armies and 4 provinces and I need to sack 1-2 provinces per turn to stay afloat, cause because I am "Terrifying" nobody wants to trade with me. My 200K income simply evaporated.
    Now I have to deal with religion, and trade, and food and sanitation and governors etc...

I have some damned good armies and I don't want to disband them... it's near impossible to make them again with their nice weapons and armor.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Well, an hour in the game taught me the basic stuff. I kept all my hordes as money making machines except 2, that were more than enough to deal with the Ostrogoths. The mission you talk about is, near-impossible to take your wife's side! I saw the penalty, nearly crushed me. I loaded. Still couldn't go with it and made the exact same option. I was just decimating most of my forces.

My problem is: After getting victory for the Expedition, by giving Justinian Italy... I went to attack the Visigoths and declared independence. It really hurt financially. I mean, I have 4 armies and 4 provinces and I need to sack 1-2 provinces per turn to stay afloat, cause because I am "Terrifying" nobody wants to trade with me. My 200K income simply evaporated.
    Now I have to deal with religion, and trade, and food and sanitation and governors etc...

I have some damned good armies and I don't want to disband them... it's near impossible to make them again with their nice weapons and armor.
    Yeah, that how it kinda goes in vanilla. If you postpone too much resettling, it becomes too much a pain, even if you have money to build and keep your elite armies. I just usually decide at the beginning of roman expedition about which i choose, separatist of loyalist route. Last separatist I just went to Vandal capital after beating them on the field. Though I guess i reclaimed on e village for ERE and kept raiding and sacking to keep barbarians happy, lol.
    Imo most fun campaign as in challening were the franks.

I think the game gears you to go attack the Byzantine Empire. Same religion, same culture. FAR bigger armies though. And Greek fire. Why the Byzantine navy has Greek fire in 540s?

That's like giving Napoleonic France WW2-era tanks.

Dunno, ERE is too tough to go for early game. Their cities are garrisoned with full stacks. Its much better just to get away from Justinian, build your own kingdom, deal hostile barbarians then go attack against Justinian.
    Yeah, that Greek fire is even bigger problem in grand campaign, where every faction, even barbarians like viking ancestors, get it. I could understand that maybe Vandals get greek fire ship, but that every faction gets it, its just ridiculous.