Thread: HISTORICAL NEW CONTENT TEAM - Analysis of the Soldier

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Default HISTORICAL NEW CONTENT TEAM - Analysis of the Soldier

The info from the site :
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...g-on-07-06-17/

The most recent project team to kick into full production is now working on a particularly large Campaign Pack DLC for one of our more recent historical releases. It’s an expansion we’ve been wanting to do for a while now, so very happy that we’ve been able to get it into the schedule for later in the year.

At the moment, this team is building art content and working on the update for the main game needed to accommodate the new expansion. We will certainly be sharing more details when we can.
    Now about the picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3222.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	346472

The warrior is most probably a german warrior (80-90%), with a fantasy helmet but with a roman armor. That means no viking expansion and also that this is an expansion pack for Rome II. Now this armor is archaic from 1st or 2nd century AD. So i would bet my money for a Rome II expansion, germanic wars (Marcomannic Wars), Marcus Aurelius.
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Default Re: HISTORICAL NEW CONTENT TEAM - Analysis of the Soldier

CA's plans are mostly determined by the popularity of each historical period, and, to put it frankly, very few people are even remotely interested in the Marcomannic Wars of Marcus Aurelius, despite being briefly depicted in The Gladiator movie. A part of the shield symbol has been copied from the Cherusci faction of Rome II, but I doubt that the figure is Arminius, because Teutoburg Forest isn't very well-known either, while CA has already released a very similar campaign game, Caesar in Gaul. The equipment is clearly not historical, but, in my opinion, the Roman armor intentionally points towards a minor indication of Roman heritage. Most probably, that extravagantly dressed barbarian is supposed to represent a Celto-Roman warlord, perhaps Arthur himself. An expansion for Attila makes sense, because it has been better received than its predecessor by the community, while the legend of King Arthur and the Holy Grail is the only remaining popular event closely related to Attila's timeframe. Fighting the Marcomanni or the Palmyrene Empire as Aurelius and Aurelian respectively is definitely fun, but I doubt it has the same potential of generating sales as Arthur.

Agree Arthur will sale more and it's also better if it would be for Attila because Rome II was a commercial disaster. But Arthur was a sarmatian and this soldier is a german and if we talk about 4th century AD they are saxons, angles or jutes with roman armors.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

Helmet (spangenhelm) and sword (the pommel reminds to swords from the Carolingian era) are typical for early medieval times. The chain mail is looking like one from 2.000 years ago, but I guess that's just an anachronism the artist wasn't really aware of. Maybe that character isn't supposed to be Arthur, but an Saxon invader like Cerdic. He actually reminds me to Stellan Skarsgard in this role for the King Arthur movie in 2004 (blond braided hair and stuff).

The Frankish swords often had pommels shaped in a series of three or five rounded lobes. This was a native Frankish development which did not exist prior to the 8th century, and the design is frequently represented in the pictorial art of the period, e.g. in the Stuttgart Psalter, Utrecht Psalter, Lothar Gospels and Bern Psychomachia manuscripts, as well as in the wall frescoes in the church in Mals, South Tyrol.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_sword

Spangenhelms by the guy, who draws pics as concept artist for the Rise of Mordor Mod:
    http://robbiemcsweeney.deviantart.co...ions-592216801
    Last edited by Pinarius; June 24, 2017 at 02:00 PM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

an Arturian setting won't be that bad after all, it will allow them to have both historical and fantasy fans catched by it..
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

For me, it's a Germanic warrior (Saxon, Angle, Jutish), the sword is of the spatha type, if I'm not mistaken, so, Late Antiquity/Early Medieval. The chain mail is perhaps a bt anachronistic, I see it as some armour that was plundered. As I already expressed in another thread about the new historical content, I hope that this is hinting at a sub-Roman Britain campaign pack; no need for fantasy elements there, that history is fascinating in itself and with many things to be depicted in the game (which, I hope, will be Attila - I still wish for Rome II an Aurelian/crisis of the 3rd century pack, perhaps that «focal period in history, character-based» game that was mentioned by CA).

All the best and have a nice week!

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Winged helmet, wolf cloak and, wolf tail banner and antler knife - Germanic, the epitome of Gothic - I'm thinking Ostrogoths and Theodoric the great. Starts with Ostrogoths winning the battle of Nedao vs Huns after the death of Attila and ends with Theodoric becoming Roman Emperor.

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Pinarius View Post
    Helmet (spangenhelm) and sword (the pommel reminds to swords from the Carolingian era) are typical for early medieval times. The chain mail is looking like one from 2.000 years ago, but I guess that's just an anachronism the artist wasn't really aware of. Maybe that character isn't supposed to be Arthur, but an Saxon invader like Cerdic. He actually reminds me to Stellan Skarsgard in this role for the King Arthur movie in 2004 (blond braided hair and stuff).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_sword

Spangenhelms by the guy, who draws pics as concept artist for the Rise of Mordor Mod:
    http://robbiemcsweeney.deviantart.co...ions-592216801
    Good that you mention the sword (Which is a Spatha, btw). See these golden applications on its scarab? During the 5th century these were common for entire Europe, just to quickly fall out of use after 500. If there wasn't that highly irritating lorica hamata armour as well as the thureos shield I would suggest that it's very likely that the scenario will play in the 400's. Artur seems indeed like a possibility.

Although the artist is mixing things up (and adding "Wagnerian" wings for the helmet), I guess something like this can be expected as campaign map:

The wolf-symbolism also may point to Anglo-Saxons:
    Old English literature contains several instances of Anglo-Saxon kings and warriors taking on wulf as a prefix or suffix in their names. Examples include Wulfhere, Cynewulf, Ceonwulf, Wulfheard, Earnwulf, Wulfmǣr, Wulfstān and Æthelwulf. Wolf-related names were also common among pre-Christian Germanic warriors: Wolfhroc (Wolf-Frock), Wolfhetan (Wolf Hide), Isangrim (Grey Mask), Scrutolf (Garb Wolf), Wolfgang (Wolf Gait) and Wolfdregil (Wolf Runner).

Cherusci -> Arminius -> Retrieving Eagles

If that's not the case Gladiator is a very popular and iconic movie...
    Last edited by herne_the _hunter; July 04, 2017 at 04:32 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Despite the roman armor and the odd ornaments. Ravens, Wolves and the spear are all symbols of Odin. Could be coincidental, probably not. However the armor and shield does suggest migration age at the latest to me.
    Last edited by Påsan; July 06, 2017 at 02:27 PM.

Well Crisis of the third Century confirmed.