Thread: Do generals and family member sever convert from one religion to another?

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Do generals and family member sever convert from one religion to another?

I remember in one of the AAR's I saw here once, the player was able to make Flavius Aetius, in Pannonia, to convert from Christianity to Paganism. Is this a result of somehow cheating the character into changing or do characters sometimes change their religion?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Do generals and family member sever convert from one religion to another?

The characters can change their religion under the "right" circumstances.

Default Re: Do generals and family member sever convert from one religion to another?

What are those circumstances? I've tried leaving them in settlements full of pagan temples and all that ends up happening is they resent it haha
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    What are those circumstances? I've tried leaving them in settlements full of pagan temples and all that ends up happening is they resent it haha
    If a character starts to feel disallusioned with their religion then this can increase the chances of their conversion to another religion.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

We shouldn't forget that the cases of characters passing from Christianism to Paganism were absolutely rare, in fact only Julian tried to approach with some success the ancient rituals and this deserved him the infamous adjective of "Apostata". Even though I hate this fact, I think it's historically accurate having serious problems in returning to Paganism, all in all even today monotheism is considered a cultural evolution compared to paganism.

The most malicious and effective accusation moved against Julian, it's considering him a "reactionary", who was trying to restore the ancient values of the Roman civilization refusing the progress, for Julian infact, the salvation was in the past, the civilization could be saved only not forgetting its own ancient roots, in which it could be found the only hope to preserve something of good and beautiful against the incoming darkness; so, when the world was moving towards more evolute and progressive models of human convivence and cultural values, well represented by the Christian Humanism, Julian chose to take a step back into the most remote past, just to save himself and our future.

Even though, in some way, I may agree about the concept of seeing the human values of the Christianism as a positive and progressive evolution, putting an end to a slave-based society, lately, I'm more and more convinced that frequently what the masses consider "progressivism", it's just an obscurantist jump in the most absolute nothing, whereas what is considered "reactionary", it's frequently, wiser, more human, more respectful of the roots of our civilization, that is, more respectful of the man in itself; so, once more: nunc et semper eternal glory to Julian, the "reactionary apostata", heretically trying to save and preserve the torch of civilization, against the triumphant 'tenebrae' of what they call "The Progress".

Well I definitely agree with you on that, Diocle.
    I notice that some characters grow disillusioned with their faith, while others just get more fanatical in the presence of nonbelievers. I guess only the ones that get disillusionment traits have a chance of converting?