Thread: Persian Spearmen Unrecruitable After Upgrade

Dragour's Avatar Tiro

Default Persian Spearmen Unrecruitable After Upgrade

Once the Kwarezm upgrade the Drill Squares to the next level they cannot train Persian Spearmen in the settlement, is this suppose to happen or an oversight?
    Early Start campaign

Default Re: Persian Spearmen Unrecruitable After Upgrade

I don't know about that particular unit, as Ive never played that faction for long, but other factions do lose the ability to recruit outdated units sometimes when barracks are upgraded or when the "age" changes. The years 1270 and 1400 come to mind, but there are others.
    So, yes, that is likely supposed to happen.

The lost unit is probably replaced in the recruiting pool with a newer, more modern, counterpart.
    Last edited by Duck of Death; June 20, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

The best way to check recruitment behavior is to take a look at the "export_descr_buildings.txt" file. In case of Persian Spearmen the recruitment pool looks like this for the next level (barracks):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    recruit_pool "Persian Spearmen" 1 0.13 2 0 requires factions { kwarezm, } and hidden_resource kwarezm
    recruit_pool "Persian Spearmen" 1 0.085 1 0 requires factions { kwarezm, } and not hidden_resource kwarezm

That menas, they do not become unavailable on any event and you should be able to recruit them, unless you installed a submod that changed those lines.
    Last edited by Riva; June 21, 2017 at 09:39 AM.

Dragour's Avatar Tiro

The only submods I have is the Real Combat/Real Recruitment mod. Once I upgrade from a Drill Square to a Barracks they are no longer in the roster for the recruitment, nothing to do with a timed event

Mod is abandonware, which is a shame since the last update{which was like 2012} seemed to more things up than fix them. You think kwarezm is bad, try playing as the english. It would have been nice for them to actually say they were ceasing development instead of just leaving it in the hands of the ssip guys, but hey, all good things. I heard attila was the place to get your medieval fix now, but of course you will have to deal with the trash warscape engine.

Im gonna ask you this only once...
    Have you, or have you not heard about the word?

Cause everyone knows that the bird is the word!
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

I posted this in the bug reports previously, might fix your problem: Playing as Kwarezm, noticed Persian Spearmen recruit pool bug. Checked EDB and sure enough in drill square, there are 2 lines, one for recruiting them in Kwarezm territory ("and hidden_resource kwarezm") and another one for outside that territory ("and not hidden_resource kwarezm"), the difference being that when you are in kwarezm territory the replenishment is faster. When you upgrade to Barracks or Armoury though, there's one line with a higher replenishment rate and one line with a lower rate, but BOTH lines say ("and hidden_resource kwarezm") meaning the spearmen are no longer recruitable outside of kwarezm territory. For each building, the lines with the lower replenishment rate should be changed to say ("and not hidden_resource kwarezm") [apologies if this has already been reported, couldn't find it when I searched though]