Thread: Viking Style Round Shields

Default Viking Style Round Shields

My big guess is that after the 10th century, the flat round shield that we all know and love declines extremely for the use of the tear drop shield or kite shield. By the time of 1066, the viking style large round shield would be dropped in favor of the kite shield as evident in sources like the Bayeux Tapestry (I'm not mentioning Carolingian style concaved round shields). In martial practice, the kite shield is useful because it can protect your legs from a low strike, and its length could probably catch people into an immobile state that leaves them vulnerable for attack. Eventually, the kite shield offers that much of an advantage, the skill involved using a round shield with a center-grip is obsolete in some ways.

However, the large round shield with a center shield boss has been an effective tool through out most of Europe for centuries. It would make some sense that the viking style shield we know from archaeological evidence to be at least present in the 11th century.

Archaeological evidence:

Oseberg, Norway, 834AD
    Gokstad, Norway, 900AD
    Tira, Latvia, C9th
    Trelleborg, Denmark, assumed end of 900AD

site source: http://www.vikingage.org/wiki/wiki/Round_Shields (Yes, I know, professor. Its a horrible source for citation.)

What I'm wondering is if anybody could provide evidence for flat, large viking round shields that is evident in archaeology in the 900A.D. in use past the 10th century? I'm guessing that some of the fanboys participating in the modern Battle for Hastings event have some horribly outdated equipment.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Re: Viking Style Round Shields

I tried searching the database of the Swedish Historical Museum for "Rundsköld" which is Swedish for Round shield. The link give you the list of their registered findings and they are all dated as a part of the Viking era according to the filter criteria. Unfortunately many of the findings are given a vague periodical identification (800-1099) as they were found in the 19th century but you can manually parse them to see if you find any shields believed to be from the 11th century.

Given the relative conservatism or backwardness of Svealand I would expect that this region of Sweden would be the last one to change is equipment.

The effigy of either Prince Einion Clud or more likely his son, Prince Einion o'r Porth at St Mary's Church, New Radnor, Powys, Wales, dated 1225(though, the mentioned Welshmen themselves lived until 1177 and 1191 respectively), has a round and flat shield;

http://www.castles99.ukprint.com/Graphics/EINION.JPG

More info;

http://www.castles99.ukprint.com/radnorshire.html

On the Swedish Historical Museum search, I see about entirely shield bosses which were also plenty evident on kite shields.

Good find on the Welsh man. It doesn't feature a shield boss, but it could be made in the same process. However, it reminds me of something I read in the Tower of London about large target shields.

Quote Originally Posted by Slytacular View Post
    On the Swedish Historical Museum search, I see about entirely shield bosses which were also plenty evident on kite shields.
    If they are labeled as such, they likely came from an archaeological context that suggested as much. I've never excavated in Northern Europe, but I know from excavating elsewhere that the shape of completely decayed wooden objects can often be discerned by a pattern of discolored soil.

This would be an example of a very well preserved wooden portion:

And even that would have been noted and discarded by 19th and early 20th century excavators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.