Thread: Your Biggest Newbie Mistake

Icon1 Your Biggest Newbie Mistake

I'm wondering what everyone's biggest "newbie mistake" was; that is, what is the biggest mistake you made the first few times you played this game? My biggest mistake was probably using Empire Halberdiers as offensive shock troops, which tended to result in mass casualties and a mistaken belief that Halberdiers are useless. I figured that because Halberiers have an anti-armor bonus and have polearms, they would be good at breaking enemy lines. What about everyone else?

Default Re: Your Biggest Newbie Mistake

For me... it was the same newbie mistake I make for every new Total War game - trying to play in a realistic manner, using formations, planning etc instead of a mad arcade clickfest.

I never learn. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    For me... it was the same newbie mistake I make for every new Total War game - trying to play in a realistic manner, using formations, planning etc instead of a mad arcade clickfest.

I never learn. Sigh.
    With all due respect, I don't see how you could class Total War as "arcade-like." Admitedly, Warhammer fits this description a bit better than prevous games, but that's mostly because it takes place in a fantasy world. For me, an "arcade" strategy game would be something like Age of Empires or Starcraft: no morale, no fatigue, no ammo, just rock-paper-scissors combat.

I bought Empire and Rome II at launch! Ayyyyy!

Seriously though, I think it was trying to turn everything into a gunline.

Thats what 200+ hours of Empire Total War does to a body.
    Forward, march!

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Sheep View Post
    I bought Empire and Rome II at launch! Ayyyyy!

Seriously though, I think it was trying to turn everything into a gunline.

Thats what 200+ hours of Empire Total War does to a body.
    Don't worry, I bought Empire at launch too! As far as your mistakes in this game go, you might be able to get away with using a gunline as the Dwarves and Empire, but not with anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLurch View Post
    Don't worry, I bought Empire at launch too! As far as your mistakes in this game go, you might be able to get away with using a gunline as the Dwarves and Empire, but not with anyone else.
    Oh dude, trust me I know Ahahaha.

But I was trying to turn Rome II formations into a gunline at one point haha
    Forward, march!

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Sheep View Post
    Oh dude, trust me I know Ahahaha.

But I was trying to turn Rome II formations into a gunline at one point haha
    Again, you could probably get away with that. With the Greek factions you could probably do that and win, if your army was all spearmen.

Shogun 2 generals vs Ashigaur- must have tried to charge few dozen times before realized far better to dismount.