Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: England's secret Muslim king: John of England, 1199 to 1216

KEA's Avatar Senator

Default Re: England's secret Muslim king: John of England, 1199 to 1216

The idea that a European king of the Middle Ages plans on converting to anything non-Christian is as plausible as Saudi Arabia becoming Catholic next week. What would had happened would have been a full scale crusade against England with about 100% of the English knighthood the first to take the Cross.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by KEA View Post
    The idea that a European king of the Middle Ages plans on converting to anything non-Christian is as plausible as Saudi Arabia becoming Catholic next week.
    Yep, that's about the size of it.

What would had happened would have been a full scale crusade against England with about 100% of the English knighthood the first to take the Cross.
    Yes there was still a hunger to take the cross, as the fifth and sixth crusades demonstrate, and the political capital to be made in reconverting a "fallen" king would have been immense. England would have been dogpiled from about five different directions.

What would had happened would have been a full scale crusade against England with about 100% of the English knighthood the first to take the Cross.
    John wasn't that unpopular, I'm sure he had some loyal retainers and if (quite impossibly) he chose to convert there would have been a couple of sympathy conversions so he wouldn't be alone on the pyre. Lets say 99.92% of English knighthood.

There'd be no help for Yahya Malik if he were to convert in the early 13th century: in Iberia the Almohads were very much on the back foot, and the Ayyubids were too far away and rent by uprisings (that allowed Frederick II to negotiate his was to victory in the Sixth crusade). A conversion to Islam in that period conferred no strategic benefits for a European monarch.

John would have had as much to gain by becoming a worshipper of Itzamna and importing chocolate and syphilis from Central America to weaken his foes and assert his authority. Would've had to discover the Americas first though.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

When England became Protestant during the course of the 16th century and rejected the papacy, it did so on the back of the Protestant Reformation that was already brewing and forming in continental Europe. Even though these people were all Christians, it still created an enormous amount of conflict that lasted at least until the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. Look what the papacy did in reaction to the Cathars of France, launching the Albigensian Crusade to crush them during the early 13th century. One could probably imagine something similar if not more severe if a king of England became a Muslim convert and encouraged his subjects to follow suit.

That's just how people rolled back then. Even the Buddhists were in on the action, seeing how several Chinese emperors throughout history (although witnessing periods of harsh persecution of Buddhism) touted themselves as holy warriors who defended the faith. Case in point: Emperor Wu of Liang (r. 502-549 AD), who styled himself as a "Bodhisattva" emperor. Buddhism would butt heads with Confucianism and traditional beliefs regarding ancestor worship, though, in both China and Korea, although it had almost no friction with Shintoism in Japan.

Not every faith is the same, though. I know that Hindus have done violent actions in the name of their faith sporadically throughout the ages and in modern times (e.g. the "Saffron terror"), but unlike the Abrahamic faiths, I don't think there is any similar practice in Hinduism for launching a jihad or a crusade. In fact, Hindu extremism seems to be more of a modern phenomenon connected to the global movement of nationalism more generally (especially now that Pakistan and India are frequently at odds). The same can be said for Sikhism, despite their reputation for brandishing daggers, yet in modern times there have been some militant Sikh terrorist groups (i.e. Khalistan movement), and the assassination of Indira Gandhi was carried out by Sikh bodyguards in retaliation for damaging a Sikh shrine in a military operation.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Islam is a stretch though. Wouldn't his subjects just kill him? I don't think that anyone else would convert.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Then the Pope invites the Scots to burn down Newcastle and invade Wembley.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Then the Pope invites the Scots to burn down Newcastle and invade Wembley.
    I though it was King Harry who liked a bit of Wembley.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Secretly a muslim? That's propaganda.

Considering converting to islam? Rigged question. Kings and Clerics would have to study Islam even if for sake of geopolitics, but while living sheltered lives. So there is a lot of element for imagination and wondering how this imaginary religions would be. Kinda like how Buddhism is re-structured in the West.

Even Nietzsche in the Anti-Christ gives a big praise to Islam after rejecting Christianism, albeit considering Hinduism superior. Was later found out the sources he consulted basically described both islam and hinduism had utterly idylic lifestyles, so he essentially praised imaginary objects.
    Last edited by fkizz; June 24, 2017 at 08:33 AM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Basil II the B.S View Post
    ^Bigdaddy is a nice Muslim kid though, as far as I know.

Very misplaced accusation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I'm like 99.99% sure that Bigdaddy is a practicing Muslim.
    Ouch
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    I have been called many things but anti Muslim? That's hilarious.
    Ok, I see now. It's a Muslim rant.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

A bit late to the thread but i seriously doubt tha if john considered becoming a muslim england would have gotten away without an instant crusade called againt it. Everyone in europe would have stopped everything and rusbed back to smack john upside the head. Besides if conversion was an issue he could ha e just as easily switched to orthodoxy. The ere was still a powerfull ally to have (especially since they could delay richard forever) and the diffrence between the two churches was not yet so big as to be noticeble to the common folk. Basically a change in language and priests could marry.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

King John, a Muslim? Utter nonsense, you need to stop reading so many historical fiction novels and Muslim nationalist propaganda. He was a Christian, full stop. Oh, and he was also a werewolf, as everyone knows. It's quite difficult to maintain an Islamic lifestyle as a werewolf for several reasons. Firstly it's difficult to perform Isha'a if you are running around for a few nights each month eating livestock. Also keeping a halal diet is not easy since it's hard to practice halal slaughter without hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    No. I'm sorry to interrupt your anti-Muslim rant.

"My interest in the story originated from the Muslim emir, who appears in the story and as a result of my studies on the various aspects of the encounter between Christians, Muslims and Jews in the frontier regions of the Iberian Peninsula in the medieval period.

Whilst re-reading the Latin source of the text, I discovered that the story speaks of neither submission nor conversion of religion.

Primarily engaged with negotiations towards a regional English-Navarrese-Almohad defense alliance, the story exemplifies the flexibility of the political situation between Christians and Muslims. (1) However, Paris´s delegation story is not about diplomacy alone.

It contains references to interreligious relations between Christians, Muslims and Jews -one of John's diplomats may have been a converted Jew, to whom the Almohad emir might have disclosed his personal inclinations towards the uncorrupted Christian faith, stemming from his biography as a born son to a Christian woman, an "Um-Walad""

Ilan Shoval - the author of King John's Delegation to the Almohad Court (1212): Medieval Interreligious Interactions and Modern Historiography- writes
    Qualiter rex desperans miserit ad admiralium Murmelim

Misit igitur nuncios secretissimos cum festinatione summa, videlicet Thomam de Herdintona et Radulfum filium Nicholai milites et Robertum de Londoniis clericum, ad admiralium Murmelium, regem magnum Affricae, Marrochiae et Hyspaniae, quem vulgus Miramumelinum vocat. Significans eidem, quod se et regnum suum libenter redderet eidem, et dederet et deditum teneret ab ipso, si placeret ei, sub tributo. Necnon et legem Christianam, quam vanam censuit, relinquens, legi Machometi fideliter adhaereret.

https://archive.org/stream/matthipar.../n618/mode/2up

Someone who is better at Latin than me might correct me on this but that looks very much to me like he is offering to give over the kingdom of England to the Moors 'sub tributo' ('as a vassal') and to 'adhere faithfully to the law of Mohammed, leaving behind that of the Christians and judging it of no regard'.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 05, 2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Diplomatic move (or propaganda by a rival pretender of the Throne).

Why would a Ruler lay down his whole strategy to opposing countries in geopolitics? Makes even less sense than Saudi Arabia going Catholic next week.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Guys I'm pretty sure bigdaddy was saying it as a joke.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12