Thread: Suicidal generals

Foederatus

Default Suicidal generals

I love this mod, but one thing that drives me mad (I know it's not the fault of the mod btw) is the constant charging of AI general cavalry into spears, or standing about being pelted by arrows. Is there any way to prevent this? Even if it means making enemy generals stand at the back and do nothing; that would be better than these suicidal charges?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Suicidal generals

Not possible. That was always a big flaw in TW games. I actually made it a bit better as AI general now more often stays in the back.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by largejack View Post
    I love this mod, but one thing that drives me mad (I know it's not the fault of the mod btw) is the constant charging of AI general cavalry into spears, or standing about being pelted by arrows. Is there any way to prevent this? Even if it means making enemy generals stand at the back and do nothing; that would be better than these suicidal charges?
    Αctually it is around since Rome 1.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 12, 2017 at 10:14 AM.

I think that the DEI team did an excellent job with this. Now the AI in my games pretty much never suicides it's general, they actually carefully protect him until the battle turns against them, then they commit the general unit to try to save the day. Exactly as I would :-)

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by PietrolEremita View Post
    I think that the DEI team did an excellent job with this. Now the AI in my games pretty much never suicides it's general, they actually carefully protect him until the battle turns against them, then they commit the general unit to try to save the day. Exactly as I would :-)
    Not seen this much so far in my campaign, especially in settlement battles, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the replies.

If you are fighting a settlement battle where the autoresolve gave you 80%+ win, all the bets are off. The ai knows they are destined to lose and will try it's luck to inflict as much damage as possible in one big hit. Those battles are not representative.

Fight an enemy stack 1v1 when the odds are fairly balanced and let us know your experience

Foederatus

If you are fighting a settlement battle where the autoresolve gave you 80%+ win, all the bets are off. The ai knows they are destined to lose and will try it's luck to inflict as much damage as possible in one big hit. Those battles are not representative.

Fight an enemy stack 1v1 when the odds are fairly balanced and let us know your experience
    Interesting. I normally auto-resolve when my odds are that much in my favour, but I'll check it out and let you know.

Yep. While it is less pronounced, AI generals always get into the thick of it. They don't charge first but usually in wave 2 or 3. It is a better model than vanilla where the general would be in wave 1 leaving infantry behind. Then it's just a mop up exercise as the AI army gets negative "general killed" buff before they even hit my front line.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by F@32 View Post
    Yep. While it is less pronounced, AI generals always get into the thick of it. They don't charge first but usually in wave 2 or 3. It is a better model than vanilla where the general would be in wave 1 leaving infantry behind. Then it's just a mop up exercise as the AI army gets negative "general killed" buff before they even hit my front line.
    Less pronounced? You lot must be playing a different game to me... lol. My crap garrison has just been attacked by 5000 Romans with no chance of me winning, and what does the enemy first do? Charges his general straight through my gates (burning oil as well) into my spears without inflicting any casualties. He routed without dying and then the rest of their army came in and mopped me up. The question is... if the AI only does this when it thinks it has no chance of winning, (as Pietrol said) then this doesn't make any sense at all? Happens in almost every battle for me.

Does battle difficulty have any effect on this?
    Last edited by largejack; June 25, 2017 at 01:53 PM.

Foederatus

I'm confounded that an AI that can operate multiple units quite well now, can't reign in one bloody unit?

My son also experiences the same problem in his game. It's a real shame, because it's very immersion breaking, and apart from this one issue, the mod makes the game outstanding. Maybe a solution, if there are no others, might be to get rid of cavalry generals altogether?
    Last edited by largejack; June 25, 2017 at 01:52 PM.

Patrician

What would that fix? For most people, including me, AI general is left in reserve or gets involved later on. Infantry general will work same way, he might even be positioned in front ranks instead of the back like cavalry one does. You simply must be very unlucky with your battles.

Same here, I seldom see suicide generals in my battles - not to say never. I think DEI team has done an excellent job on this taking into consideration what was happening in the past of course.

Patrician

Especially since most of battle AI related stuff is impossible to be directly changed so mostly I just do A LOT and I mean A LOT of random testing during which I pick up new stuff. For example changing melee infantry javelins from precursor to standard ranged weapon vastly improved BAI when it comes to holding formation, not zombie rushing, flanking on one wing and keeping player in check in other places etc.

I don't get it, I never have this problem, at least in the last couple of versions of DEI. The ai will charge with their generals when they are losing decisively, will try to flank (but not attack) if the general is one of the few cavalry they have and will use the general as a hammer to inflict as much casualties as possible if the battle is already lost (either extremely outnumbered or ourmatched)

A general charging through boiling oil ahead of his much larger army when it had all the advantages? Never

KAM, is it possible that settings (like difficulty) or even hardware plays a role on ai behavior?

Patrician

Difficulty does not affect it but overal in strategy games your CPU has influence on AI. For example if I hosted a game in CoH, AI would be much smarter then AI when my friend with worse CPU would set up the game.

Maybe that would explain our wildly different experiences. Posters with suicidal ai generals, what are your PC specs?

Foederatus

Maybe that would explain our wildly different experiences. Posters with suicidal ai generals, what are your PC specs?
    Sorry for late response, haven't checked in for a few days.

Cpu = amd fx 8350 8 core
    10 gb ram
    nvidia gtx 970

Other mods I use are DEI True Legions of Rome
    celt flora mod
    dei gladiator
    dei graphics enhancement
    fieldworks/deployable fortifications mod
    pdguru's legal weed mod (Lol)
    GEM
    Ocean HD

Can't think any of those would affect it? Unless it's the true legions mod because so far I've only been fighting Rome with cavalry generals in my campaign.
    Last edited by largejack; June 28, 2017 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Αctually it is around since Rome 1.
    Actually ......

It has been around since Shogun 1, during my shogunate campaigns i had numerous large armies stacked together,
    ( not really knowing i couldn't have that many units at the same time in battle )
    And the Ai takes over my other armies.

I dont know, back then i always thought it was the Heroic thing to do for the General,
    to show their troops not to be affraid of death, like seppuku.

only later i learned during the other TW games that the general AI always does that....

And why it is very important to always control the armies yourself, and not let the AI do ANYTHING....

but yeah, i vividly renember this problem from Shogun 1, and Mongol Invasions,

@Op, i wish there was a mod that would fix that too, i have been waiting 17 years for it !!!!

Well, you are in luck, because for most people it seems to happen less in DeI 1.2.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Well, you are in luck, because for most people it seems to happen less in DeI 1.2.
    Yes, as I'm progressing through my Epirus campaign (extremely good btw - if Rome 2 had been released like this it would have got 95% approval ratings) I'm starting to find the general cavalry is holding back more, although once he gets stuck in he never leaves. Lol

PS DEI makes Rome 2 the best Total War game to date. Problem with Attila the AI is designed to collapse Empires, and as for Warhammer... BAWK