Thread: [Enrolment] Database Editing for Total: War Attila

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default [Enrolment] Database Editing for Total: War Attila

This Youtube video will be replaced by the official TWCenter Youtube channel's video, as soon as they upload it.

Welcome to this new course, Creating Your Legion. It will teach you how to do database editing, and will focus on creating a custom battle faction from scratch. It is designed for people with 0 experience, and will not require or involve 3D modelling, texturing or artistic stuff of that nature (besides unit cards and faction flags, the quality of which won't be judged). In case you don't know what database editing is, it pretty much just requires editing values such as this. The course will consist of 22 parts, covering subjects such as actually creating the unit using pre-existing models, how to get the unit in-game, how to balance it, how to change animations, and much more as detailed in the video above.

By the end of the course, I'll have taught you how to edit all of these tables, and how to make the following two units
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The course will be taught via Youtube videos that I have already made (and just have to edit, and perhaps re-record a few). I think that each video will get it's own thread, in which I will summarise the episode, and you may ask any questions which I'll answer and perhaps clarify points. There will not be strict homework that you have to complete each week, although it is recommended that you do keep up to date with the episodes, otherwise you may fall behind.

The final assessment will be to create a minimum of 8 units and both plan, and implement a balancing system into your mod. This system does not necessarily have to balanced or work, but the plans for it must make sense and follow a path of logic.

These are the tools that you'll require:
    A legal copy of Total War: Attila with the latest patch. You can't mod illegal copies, plus they're illegal of course.
    The Assembly Kit. Follow the instructions in the link, or just navigate to Steam - Library - Tools - Total War: ATTILA - Assembly Kit BETA.
    The Pack File Manager. To install this, make sure the gamedirs.txt file that is installed with the Pack File Manager has a line pointing to wherever you've installed Attila, such as ATW;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Attila and that you select Attila from this drop down menu.
    Winrar, 7Zip or similar software to compress and extract files (not compulsory, but very useful for modding in general).
    Notepad++ or similar software to edit text files.
    Photoshop, GIMP, paint.net or similar software to edit images.
    The CUF font and text rendering tool (not compulsory).

If you are interested in the course, write a message below. The registration period will probably last until the 1st of July. The Youtube videos will be released all at once, but the assessment won't be due until the 24th of July perhaps. In the meantime until the course starts, I'd suggest downloading the pack I made, extracting it using Winrar/7Zip/whatever, and opening it using the Pack File Manager to see all the changes I made.

Students FuzFuzFuz
    Locus_Devium
    Minnesinger
    Athos187
    One Eyed
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; July 05, 2017 at 09:32 AM.

Default Re: [Enrolment] Database Editing for Total: War Attila

Hey mang, I am interested!

I know how to insert units and basic db stuff, textures and models as well; but I am always up for upgrading my skills.

Sign me up!

Hey Caligula,
    I am definitly in.
    Sign me up.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

Thank you for your invitation, I have no skills at all on modding but since some time I was interested to go in and the least I have to say is that your proposition comes to the perfect time for me. I am in too !

Has anyone had any trouble with paint.net? I've got it working fine on my main computer and two laptops, but apparently it installed a virus on a friend's computer.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

I've been using paint.net for years and it is one of the most reliable programs I know. Your friend surely cannot have downloaded it from the official site.

Hey can I get in on this. Unit creation is something I want to learn about for my mods.

I've been thinking for a long time to make a big and ambitious project for Attila, but I don't know how to mod at all. Since i'm probably gonna be buying the game tomorrow, I would like to join if it's still possible. I have one question though, will this tutorial cover how to import models from other games such as skyrim?

No it won't One Eyed. I don't know how to rig skeletons, so I can't really help with it.
    It'd be good to have you on board though.

I wish I had seen this earlier! Any chance of a repeat class in the future? I would love to enroll.