Thread: Can this PC run the games on ultra/extreme settings ?

Default Can this PC run the games on ultra/extreme settings ?

Hello ,

I'm planning to get this system :

But before purchasing , I was wondering if I could run Total War Rome II , Attila and probably next historical title on ultra settings ?

By the way I'm using a Full HD monitor not 2K or 4K with 1920×1080 resolution .

I appreciate any helpful comments .

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Can this PC run the games on ultra/extreme settings ?

1080 maybe could do it on other games, but your CPU matters most with TW games and with a Ryzen CPU (lots of cores) it doesn't have as good per core performance like Intels.

Intel is usually the best for gaming as a few strong guys are better than a bunch of little guys who can't always work together because there's not enough space. Software doesn't always activate all the cores, it's usually written to only handle around 4 cores.

Note because of this you may have to pick a new motherboard and an intel CPU, if you want to run total war games on ultra.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    1080 maybe could do it on other games, but your CPU matters most with TW games and with a Ryzen CPU (lots of cores) it doesn't have as good per core performance like Intels.

Intel is usually the best for gaming as a few strong guys are better than a bunch of little guys who can't always work together because there's not enough space. Software doesn't always activate all the cores, it's usually written to only handle around 4 cores.

Note because of this you may have to pick a new motherboard and an intel CPU, if you want to run total war games on ultra.
    So , considering that the Ryzen can do better with other games but an Intel® Core™ i7-7700K can be a better choice for total war games ?

Do you have any suggestions ( better options ) for the PC to get a better gaming performance ?

No. What I am saying is that usually only the graphics card (GTX 1080 in your case) matters. CPU matters less now days but if you are upgrading and want to play older games or games that have a CPU heavy focus, use Intel, 7700k sounds fine. As 4 cores is a better choice than 8 cores.

Total war games are CPU heavy.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    No. What I am saying is that usually only the graphics card (GTX 1080 in your case) matters. CPU matters less now days but if you are upgrading and want to play older games or games that have a CPU heavy focus, use Intel, 7700k sounds fine. As 4 cores is a better choice than 8 cores.

Total war games are CPU heavy.
    Thanks a lot . It's very helpful .

I haven't played Warhammer and Atilla and am not aware of the benchmarks . I've heard that the CA is moving to support AMD in its newer games . but future places me in a dilemma of whether getting the system I've posted or go for something like this :

MSI Z270 Z270 SLI PLUS LGA1151 Z270 Mainboard

Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Kaby Lake Processor

Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A(BW) Macho CPU Cooler

what do you think is a better choice based on the CA's latest title's performance ?

7700k would be the best performing one probably as they already have support built in and are not experimenting with new support. There used to be a thread by a guy on twcenter which tracked CPU performance and Intel was always the best on TW titles.
    The AI Workshop Creator

i don't think u'll ever need 32 gb just for gaming, i rather get 16 gb but 3200mhz ram
    gtx 1080 seems overkill for only 1080p gaming
    i7 7700k is probably faster (n more xpensive) but ryzen is a new cpu so who know

I cant help but say at ultra it isn't overkill. My two titans get by on ultra but not in any impressive way in 1080p.

I agree about the RAM but it's fun to see 32GB and know even if some games now demand 16gb you're fine.
    See this thread and game requirements if you need confirmation. Sometimes it's good to future proof if you're looking to play ultra in future games!
    https://hardforum.com/threads/games-...ction.1924056/
    The AI Workshop Creator