Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best/most popular submod these days?

Default What is the best/most popular submod these days?

Hey. I haven't played this game in years and last i played was with MoS. Are there any good overhauls/addons that are currently worked on and what do people generally recommend.

I am not looking for something that changes the ages, like to the 2nd age, but something that adds more to the base game.

Thanks in advance!

Also i like long campaigns and always play Gondor.

Default Re: What is the best/most popular submod these days?

Divide and Conquer is a very good submod. It split up many factions, adds many units and extendeds the map.

DaC splits Gondor though. Not sure why anyone would want that even for gameplay's sake and it certainly isn't lore accurate or in line with vanilla TATW even. Pretty much every mod except DaC and my own should be similar enough to TATW and add a good amount of content to Gondor without removing/changing the base game. All of them just build off the base game though, I spent most of my time making my mod as different as possible from M2TW and TATW and it is still not that different. DaC is certainly more similar to vanilla than my mod so you would probably find DaC more to your tastes than my mod.

FROGS is still being worked on and MOS started again from what I saw, I just help with tech stuff there though so I don't personally know.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 05, 2017 at 05:02 AM.

How to spot the person whose never played as Dol Amroth. Few pleaures are equal to using an army of swan knights to eradicate the scum of umbar...... Or sending wine obsessed dark elves to skull Rhûn.... Divide and Conquer is a thing of beauty.

Um Gondor has Swan Knights so a faction is not needed for that, and Umbar and Dol Amroth shouldn't be their own factions in the lore and do not fit with vanilla was my point, and since he said he wants to play as Gondor with similar gameplay as vanilla your comment about splitting/playing as Dol Amroth being a pleasure may not be a pleasure to him in terms of gameplay.

No I never played DaC or any other mod/submod. I would find them all boring and super easy honestly, nothing personal against anyone or anything. I did actually answer the question though. How to spot DaC fanboys maybe?
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 05, 2017 at 05:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadyded View Post
    No I never played DaC or any other mod/submod. I would find them all boring and super easy honestly, nothing personal against anyone or anything.
    Hi alreadydedd. You might remotely remember me. I provided a save game in 2015to you pointing out some issues with your mod then.

Which brings me to my main question: Your mod balanced enough to give it another shot now? Balancing issues was the main reason I had to stop playing your mod. I agree with you on one point - it is the mod with the least similarity to vanilla.

Regarding the OP question - playing Gondor but a bit different, I agree with you as well. MOS would be my recommendation. DAC is popular mainly for its addition of new factions and (more important for its fanbase) new units, tons of them.

Regards,
    Thorsten

Yes it is better but probably not enough yet for me to recommend it (I do release it for testing after all), but even if the balance in my mod was perfect I would still recommend literally every other mod/submod out there over my own to anyone that likes M2TW's and TATW's gameplay. The only reason I didn't recommend DaC to the OP was because he only wants to play as vanilla Gondor with some added stuff, that didn't sound like DaC to me.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 05, 2017 at 06:18 AM.

So wait you've never played another submod......why the hell did you respond then?

Because I know enough about playing and modding this game to not even need to play TATW or DaC or any other mod to know how the gameplay is. Also DaC uses a lot of my work like the AI, and advice on the map, etc. so I am familiar with its gameplay from helping make it, and I knew all the past DaC team so I do have some idea of the content. Also it uses the same work from others that I do. Mainly, I answered for the reason I said, I didn't think DaC had the gameplay the OP asked for. Did you read the OP?
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 05, 2017 at 06:47 AM.

"Are there any good overhauls/addons that are currently worked on and what do people generally recommend."

"Also i like long campaigns and always play Gondor"

Funny how your comments in no way actually recommended anything, nor did you indicate a good sub-mod for gondor fans, other than an ignorant aside about Dol Amorth (which as a fiefdom is actually semi autonomous, meaning the not lore-friendly thing is how Lebbenin, Lossanarch, Pinnath Gellin, Anfalas ect, aren't factions unto themselves). You see if you weren't being so busy having your nose stuffed in the files and actually played the damn submod, you'd point out Gondor gets: new regions, units and a more interesting western front out of DaC, which seems to me like the kind of thing the OP may want to hear, not some nebulous statement about how all the submods are fairly similar, something which should be obvious since its a Submod not an entirely different mod, which is in no way what the OP asked for.

For real though OP, DaC as Gondor is a friggin nightmare, youll love it.

I know DaC is very similar, I have had my nose stuffed up these files to know they are all similar and that DaC never wanted to change the M2TW core gameplay (which is why I don't play them all remember?). I didn't say he shouldn't play DaC, but DaC does change Gondor a lot from vanilla, and no it is not lore accurate just because the current mod leader of DaC wants it to be, any more than the map is because he wants it to be. If it is please post the statement and map by Tolkien, I would very much like to see it.

I usually recommend people try all the mods, I just informed him about what DaC does that he may not like (not the only one to do so btw, and I did recommend FROGS and MOS) so take your projected problems elsewhere.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 05, 2017 at 07:39 AM.

Dude i couldn't care less what Arachir wants. I simply understand the meaning of the term "Fief" within the feudal system and how historically such entities had a habit of acting separately from the country they supposedly owed allegiance too. Guess what; Dol Amroth is Gondors vassal, meaning they're administration is separate from that of Gondor proper, meaning they send Gondor men and tribute, which guess what you do when you play as Dol Amroth. You have to prop up Gondor with gifts, send them help when they're besieged and they train Amrothian troops from Tarnost. Seems plenty lore friendly and realistic to me. Seriously your being puritanical to a degree that frigging Christopher would consider unseemly.

"projected problems", You didn't actually recommended anything (which i pointed out), you commented on thread looking for recommendations when you haven't actually played them in they're recent incarnations ( which i stated) and your being puritancial and just plain wrong in the case of Umbar, (which again i stated). None of this is projection, this is imply me taking exception to things you commented, due to being mostly unhelpful. Hell you didn't even respond to the guy who played your mod and then went and actually provided a proper counter argument. I Dont need to project, the problems are already there.

Ah yes the Reunited Kingdom of Arnor and Gondor... and Dol Amroth. I too know a bit of the term Fief which has many meanings in many dialects, I will not claim to know how everyone used/uses the word but none of the meanings I have read merit a separate faction unless they rebel from their kingdom (or whatever other word used in that feudal system at the time) from what I know of the term. I asked about the lore though I don't claim to know all this stuff, I asked you to show me. I don't care for a useless history or etymology debate. Tolkien does only refer to two kingdoms is all I am saying. When Arnor gets split, he refers to them as separate kingdoms. When is Dol Amroth referred to as a kingdom at any point? I would like to see that or something like it. A lord controlling a fief when all these factions have that is evidence somehow? I do remember reading that Umbar was captured by Harad long before the events of the Ring. I can find the quote if you like.

You seem to think that I said Gondor in DaC was not fun or worth playing, I said no such thing, I merely stated it is not the same as Gondor in vanilla, FROGS, and MOS so I recommended those for a specific reason over DaC. I did recommend DaC to him over my own mod because it is closer to vanilla, not sure how you missed that.

Read your first post in this thread, you don't even mention playing as Gondor faction (well you do since Dol Amroth is a part of Gondor faction in my opinion), the OP did mention he wanted to play Gondor only. All you are doing in this thread is bickering with me over something completely invalid since all these mods can be installed at the same time by simply copy/pasting/renaming your TATW folder. So what does it matter what order I recommend them? I listed four mods in active development to the OP, you talked about one to me.

Edit; I thought I did respond to him... and he recommended MOS too from what I read of his post, so no clue what you are talking about there. Have a nice life.

Edit2; I see my response to him...
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 05, 2017 at 09:30 AM.

I honestly prefer DaC over all, due to almost 0 crashes and quick turns
    MoS is tooooo slow, way too god damn slow with all the scripts running, also in the end is just stack v stack v stack v stack v stack......
    PcP = scary mod :p, big, love it!, BUT crashes are so annoying, i also found some weird graphical glitches and just feels unpolished.

I would say, try all, all 3 are SO DIFFERENT!!! It depends on player and what he looks for in a game/mod. DaC is quick game, PcP is slow/turtle style (or maybe that is just what i experienced). There are some others still work in progress, so keep coming back to find more

AND to finally answer OP question, Gondor + long play? = PcP and PcP only. I don't recommend MoS to any1, end game is such a boring crap i have never actually finished whole campaign, who wants to fight 50+ banner armies of Mordor, fudge that.
    Last edited by TechnSVN; June 05, 2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnSVN View Post
    I would say, try all, all 3 are SO DIFFERENT!!!
    No. Some more units, a bit more scripting or more factions does by no means make for a significant different gameplay. MOS and DAC play very, very similar to vanilla. Differences are noteable but small. This is what you can expect from a submod - even the basis (TATW) still suffers from all the flaws of the original Med 2. I DO admire the work put into these submods, but the effect on core gameplay is rather small.

Regards,
    Thorsten

ThorHa, i guess you haven't really played MoS at 300 turn and DaC at 300 turn, because game looks completely different. While in MoS you deal with INSANE number of banner army, in DaC you see maybe 10% of it. I did not mean different in units or scripts, but how the game plays out as you reach higher and higher turns. My bad. Should also mention, that MoS suffers a lot turn 200+ because all the scripts that made fun start, made horrible end game.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnSVN View Post
    ThorHa, i guess you haven't really played MoS at 300 turn and DaC at 300 turn, because game looks completely different. While in MoS you deal with INSANE number of banner army, in DaC you see maybe 10% of it. I did not mean different in units or scripts, but how the game plays out as you reach higher and higher turns. My bad. Should also mention, that MoS suffers a lot turn 200+ because all the scripts that made fun start, made horrible end game.
    Played both MOS and DAC past turn 200. Not 300 though. In DAC e.g. went with 4 Lindon stacks all the way down to Mordor, trashing several dozen full Mordor stacks on the way. I donīt care if the stack spam of the usual runaways in DAC means 30 and the one in MOS 60 - basically the same. Absolutely NO difference in gameplay - every additional stack just adds tedious repetition of true&tried tactics and thatīs it.

TATW in the end breaks down to: Find your personal approach for your faction against superior numbers the opponent will field no matter what you do. Apply said approach 100+times to enemy stacks. Finish.

DAC was a bit more disappointing than MOS for a single reason - it gives nearly all factions very similar unit rosters (everyone gets everything, just not at the exact same level of quality). I discussed this briefly with Arachir 2 years ago and it is NOT a complaint - more units is DACs approach and the reason why it is a popular mod. I prefer a clearly different approach like alreadydedds exactly because he tries to avoid this route as best as he can within the limits of the engine :-). Even if that means to have to wait years before his mod is really playable.

Regards,
    Thorsten

I recommend FRoGS for closer to vanilla gameplay and PCP for very different gameplay that really appeals to builders. There are so many buildings to construct, it is like a cross between TATW & a Civ game.

Semisalis

Pretty heated discussion here, but I'll throw my hat in and side with Divide and Conquer simply for the playability. The team added a lot of detail, a lot more units, and the turns are much faster. MOS is so script heavy that turns could take minutes as opposed to a handful of seconds.

With regards to playing as Gondor in DaC, I've played them more than any other faction and every campaign is fun. You are surrounded by enemies in your heartland and Mordor will throw so many units at you, but the troops you can get from Minas Tirith will be able to slaughter them easily before the barracks event, it just comes down to how far stretched you can be. But your core settlements are easy to defend. I usually have an invasion called on Minas Tirith, and having to defend the city from two or three full stacks a turn from multiple evil factions is very fun.

As alreadyded stated, DaC makes the Principality of Dol Amroth its own faction with an awesome roster of units but you will be able to recruit a few of them, including the legendary Swan Knights, if you build the proper buildings in Tarnost. I think the decision is justifiable since Dol Amroth was the most noteworthy fiefdom, was autonomous, and Gondor was failing in Minas Tirith before it was Imrahil who mustered a host from the south to help save the city.

Plus you have an interesting dynamic in the west where you don't have developed citadels like Minas Tirith and Cair Andros to recruit great units but still have to prepare to defend against raids from Umbar and Enedwaith. I highly recommend installing TATW and patching it up to DaC v1.2 and seeing all their work yourself. Even if it's not a perfect playthrough for your tastes, it will still be a fun one worth your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast