Thread: Slower units ?

Default Slower units ?

Is it possible to make heavy infantry units (including hoplites) slower than other infantry units ? First, it would be more realistic (I cannot imagine hoplites running as fast as slingers, like they do in the game). Second, it would improve the gameplay : for the moment I see no reason to recruit light infantry units, as they are not faster than heavy infantry, and no match for them in hand-to-hand fighting. The skirmishers are also useless, because when they have a unit of hoplites running behind them, they cannot outrun them, shoot, and start running again. Instead, they can only run until they reach the end of the map. Making hoplites slower would make light infantry and skirmishers more efficient, as you would be able to use their speed to flank and to use skirmishers to do hit-and-run tactics.
    Problem : I don't know how to do that. I have tried with export_descr_units.txt, simply by replacing the skeleton model fs_s1_hoplite by fs_s1_slow_hoplite. It does work, but I haven't seen many effects in battle for the moment. fs_s1_slow_hoplite does exist, but it's not in the descr_skeleton.txt list, so I don't know how to modify it...

Default Re: Slower units ?

Skirmishers run more fast than infantry units like hoplites. It's the class "missile" (export_descr_units) which make them run fast. Good attribute for skirmishers is also "hardy" which can make him resistant to the tiredness. In my mod skirmishers, archers, slingers are essential in each armies and are better than hcs mod. It's true that the skirmishers are too much weak in hcs, javelins, bows.. are more efficace in Medic Wars mod.

The good use for skirmishers is to attack only by flanks or behind but never attack armored units (like hoplites) in front of them, because greek shields are very protective (realistic).

Well, that's not enough. They should run twice as fast as hoplites and heavy infantry, in order to allow them to keep their distance and to outmanoeuvre them.

Skirmishers run a little bit more fast and they can have easily the advantage against hoplites engaged in a hand-to-hand-fighting. The only problem is that all the mod hcs is bugged or bad written. It's why it was an obligation to re-think the totality of the mod what I done. More you play hcs version, more you will discover all the many faults. The only usefull unit in hcs is hoplite. Every else is pratically useless. When you will have play many hours on hcs you will see that the game became boring and has problems everywhere.

You will see that man, you will see
    Last edited by Tchateur; June 01, 2017 at 01:11 PM.

Don't agree. When playing Illyrians I could defeat hoplites armies with only cavalry and light infantry. The more challenging units to fight are the Gauls, because they easily turn berserk and are then very difficult to exterminate. I began to play hcs with 0.8 beta, which was full of bugs, and even at that time it was a pleasure to play. And now things have changed for the best. I never played your mode, so I cannot compare.

I want say hoplites are the only (real) usefull unit for the greek factions. Others, like Thracia, Illyria have others good units. I think you can be an excellent tester for my mod guy

Ouaip, surtout que je suis Français. Je te mp.

Merci et ton aide est la bienvenue! Tu corresponds très bien à mon "offre d'emploi" et tes compétences seront très appréciées!