Thread: Scottish Longbows?

Default Scottish Longbows?

I've been playing more of the Scottish Campaign in Stainless Steel, and during my times capturing English strongholds, I noticed that in some castles, you can actually recruit English Longbowmen for the Scottish. Now, while I do like my Noble Highlander Archers, there's no questioning just how OP Scottish pikes and English longbows can be when they're put together in the same friggin' army.

Of course, to my dismay, I realized that if you upgrade the Archery building in said castle from where the English had it, the Longbowmen are no longer available, being replaced by Noble Highland Archers.

Is there any conceivable way to play as Scotland and get the more advanced English archer units? Really wanna see if I can pair up Noble Pikemen with Yeoman Archers, or maybe even some Retinue Longbowmen.

On a somewhat related topic, what kind of range does the English Longbowmen have vs the Noble Highland Archers? I know the NHA's description says it had 'long range', but is that comparable to the Longbowmen?

Default Re: Scottish Longbows?

Longbowmen are Local, so they are available to whoever conquers the region.

Yeoman and Retinue are Late Professional, so they are only available to the English.

You can find out the range of the units in export_descr_unit. C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3\data

stat_pri 3, 2, mass_arrow, 160, 35, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 0, 1

That's just an example, not the answer you're looking for.

You could try putting a spy in the English fortress/citadel you want to attack, and watch and wait until they upgrade their own archery building.
    Then attack, but only occupy it (pillaging risks destroying the building you want). Then just never upgrade that particular building.

Should be able to do that for Nottingham and Winchester, so youll have two pools to recruit longbowmen from.
    You might be able to use that same idea to get English Kingsmen cavalry.

Imagine France's concern when you land in Caen with English Cavalry and archers and Scot pikesmen
    Last edited by Duck of Death; June 11, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

Those Kingsmen might be Feudal and only available to the English.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

k/t, you're alive

Yeah, I am.

I'd even like to have a look at the Swiss roster and take a crack at the unit stats. I'll download the Battle Beta.

The public beta is over a year old. Wait a bit and I'll give you the latest internal version

Public beta of what?

What mod has the Swiss in it?

Oh we were talking about Tsardoms. k/t is a long lost member of the team