Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CATW 1.2

Default Re: CATW 1.2

I love your work, but the only thing that bugs me (this is probably just me) are the faces on the units.. I am a fan of the vanilla faces, as they fit the model very well and look good. Custom faces (this is in other mods too like RS2) just don't look very good to me. Maybe try putting vanilla style faces on some of your units and compare them to how they look now, I have a feeling that they'd look better. Again, this is just my personal opinion!

cocobongoclub-DJ's Avatar Père fourmois

Hello AlQamar,
    All right, in fact i thought about this, but the symbol seems tolerated in specific cases and contexts: "...Forbidden if used in a context of völkisch ideology, while it is legitimate if used as a symbol of religious faith..." (Strafgesetzbuch section 86a) I think nobody could argue that the fact there is little connection between the 3rd Reich and antique samnites. Interestingly enough Hungary also ban under derogation the hammer and sickle, and the five-pointed red star. When working on german ww2 contents on my websites (tank encyclopedia & naval encyclopedia) the nazi flag's swatiska was replaced by a malta cross and i do have quite a sizeable german audience, only received recently one critic about historical accuracy of the flag
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Under the Noble Patronage of Agisilaos
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...
    http://www.ancient-battles.com

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    I love your work, but the only thing that bugs me (this is probably just me) are the faces on the units.. I am a fan of the vanilla faces, as they fit the model very well and look good. Custom faces (this is in other mods too like RS2) just don't look very good to me. Maybe try putting vanilla style faces on some of your units and compare them to how they look now, I have a feeling that they'd look better. Again, this is just my personal opinion!
    Thanks ahowl11, duly noted. beyond the faces i think the biggest problem with RTW is related to the clone nature of units. R:TW with attila's features and unit engine would be awesome.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CATW Modeller skinner since 2006, now retired - Proud grandfather of Classical-Age Total War, the ancient world in 300 bc...

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cocobongoclub-DJ View Post
    Hello AlQamar,
    All right, in fact i thought about this, but the symbol seems tolerated in specific cases and contexts: "...Forbidden if used in a context of völkisch ideology, while it is legitimate if used as a symbol of religious faith..." (Strafgesetzbuch section 86a) I think nobody could argue that the fact there is little connection between the 3rd Reich and antique samnites. Interestingly enough Hungary also ban under derogation the hammer and sickle, and the five-pointed red star. When working on german ww2 contents on my websites (tank encyclopedia & naval encyclopedia) the nazi flag's swatiska was replaced by a malta cross and i do have quite a sizeable german audience, only received recently one critic about historical accuracy of the flag
    hi thanks for coming back to me about this. I think you have a point of using it in a different historic context that's not related to the 3rd Reich.
    Well I cannot speak about why others haven't targeted this at all but there are enough people around that mod 2nd WW games like WoWS or MOH, COD in a way to use the swastika, whether this is part of hailing the philosophy or just for the sake of historical authenticity.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

For vanilla faces yes there are only a handful but to me they're good enough that I can tolerate them. Do try comparing some of the faces to custom faces on a few units, I'll probably love the vanilla faces with your models and textures haha.

Are the unit stats for many units supposed to be like that? With Hastati and Principes being as easy to kill as vanilla Town Watch being an example.

If one day i reduce all skins to half size for better perfs as an option, i will gave them vanilla faces, promise !

@ramon_velasco
    Indeed, stats needs revision on a per units basis
    There were already many, mostly directed at unit cost.

CATW 1.2.4 is coming !

Here are the latest logs:

-add spec captain banners: ok
    -captain strat greeks:ok greek standard)
    -mod samnite lesser gral skin+model
    -mod roman hoplite, megas graeci hoplite, campanian hoplite, skin heavy cav samnite
    -decrease stats for several samnite units EDU
    -repair 3 UI broken pics
    -remove phalanx for some germanic/dacian units
    -corrected skin pb elite romphaia dacia (new skins on EB2 model)
    -Captains make spec strat versions delete flag (model in game) ok
    -EDU mods (units price, exp, etc) ok
    -strat flags (campaign map fog) ok
    -civilians price lower, 0 recruit ok
    -ships price radically up, building time down, karv 0 ok
    -add slave sabaean units: 499, 1 free, DMB 255: ok
    -correct Zeus units new ownerships :ok
    -add new recruitment buildings: Socii: OK
    -Mercs: OK
    -Local auxiliaries: OK

Last edited by cocobongoclub-DJ; October 12, 2017 at 02:27 AM.

Some News !
    -Started work on CATW 1.5 Mithridatic Wars, made a lot of balancing between factions, i think that's the best CATW planned so far

More details in the weeks to come, see the first page for more. I'll start a dedicated thread soon.
    CATW 1.2.4 upgrade is well on tracks, alhought stuck with a hard-to-find KTM at the moment. It includes the new barracks from catw 2.0 (more details to come)
    CATW 1.3 is on ice; Stuck by a KTM, although it working in custom battles. I tested various maps, and i'm waiting to find the one it just needs (or doing it), like an extension of the prologue map (sons of rome). Rosters are done, just needs UI pics and some tuning. The new Bactrian faction counts about 15 new dedicated units. I will probably reduce the numbers of playable factions to 3-4 with this new map.
    CATW 1.4 about Arminius and Teutoburg is still going on. There was no northern Europe map developed so i will stick with MM. no KTM and the campaign works fine, but i need to go through all factions (8 factions playable planned for the moment)

All this seems really awesome! Looking forward to trying out CATW 1.2 and any new versions that come out.. Great work!

Thanks Octavius. Here is the new version: catw 1.2.4 (or 054)

CATW 1.2.4 is out !

CATW 1.2 (05) has been released back in 2017 as a response to the problems experienced on steam with catw 1.1 and catw 2.0. In addition to be fully playable on RTW 1.9/BI/Alex, it now integrates a new faction compared to the original, the Samnites (instead of the Boians), and Massilia (instead of Pontus which did not existed in 300 BC). This is the combination of catw 1.2.3 started in mid-2018 and 1.2.4, just ended this September.

The timeframe indeed here is very important: It's 300 BC, just before the last samnite war in Italy, or just one year after the war of the diadochi officially ended with the defeat of Antigonos Monophtalmos, ageing Alexander companion, and partition of his former empire between Lysimachus, which took the lion's share of his former empire, the ptolemies, Seleucids, while Kassander kept the Macedonian homeland. Rome was far from being the dominant power in Italy. With this last roll of the dices, the Samnites could crush Rome, with the added power of the Etruscans and Celts. While on the other coast, the turbulent Illyrians and to their south, an ambitious raising small kingdom, Epirus, are also waiting for opportunities. Further east in the Balkans, the place is crowded, between Cassander's Macedon, Lysimachus thrace, the barbarian Getai further north and the rich cities of Bosporos, in contact with the Scytho-Sarmatians.

But the world is not a quiet place elsewhere. In gaul, two confederacies, the Arverni in the south, Senones in the North, and the Belgians are poised for the dominance of Western Europe and Britain, while further north and east, the powerful Suebi confederacy is poised for conquest too, with plently of opportunity southwards and eastwards, and only the Boians standing in their way. In Africa, Carthage already possesses a wide empire stretching from southern Iberia to Thyrrenian islands, the coast of north africa around Libya and western Sicily. In Spain, the dynamic and fierce Celtiberians are ready for the conquest of the peninsula. In the east, the immense Seleucid empire has feets of clay, and near the Maeotis lake, a fierce tribe is poised for conquest, the Parni, while a satrapy loosely independant can also aspire to local power, Armenia, with only Media Atropatene and Bythinia in its way...

Download catw 1.2.4 on IMDB
    Download on ancient-battles: available both in .zip and .7z formats (760 mo)

----Changes bring to CATW 1.2.4/054---------------
    -Germanicus5's ReallyBadAI
    -Correct (non vanilla) strat Pictures and banners
    -Working historical battles
    -Rebalanced independent factions (some were really over the top !) to left some chances to regular small factions to expand.
    -Rebalanced samnites: Less powerful units for the Samnites and only Apulia as starting region.
    -Rebalanced thracians: Conquest was a pushover: Far less money for Lysimachus Empire, starting armies decreased.
    -detail changes in animations (many two-handed)
    -added socii barracks (from catw 1.2 and 2.0): Many italic troops and cavalry recrutable by the Romans
    -added mercenary barracks: Mercenaries from all over the map recrutable by many factions out of AORs (settled merc system)
    -auxiliary barracks: AOR units recruitment tree
    -Senones rebalanced with units posted
    -text corrections
    -recruitment fixes for the Romans
    -campaign bugs fixed
    -Excessive squalor/morale loss fixed
    -New Epic music
    -Illyrian names fixes
    -Some minor changes to the vegetation map
    (1.2.3 and 1.2.4 included).

-----------Campaign & battle Screenshots--------------------------

Campaign (SPQR vs. the Thracian Empire)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A difficult campaign against Lysimachus - Note this is 243 BC, the game starts in 300 Bc - the Romans are everything but a steamroller here !

The most epic battle in the campaign so far: The heroic hilltop last stand of an already well spent Roman legion against four full stack Thracian armies. Heights give some advantages, but not against such odds. In real life the battle lasted for more than one hour and a half.

End of the battle. Some victory disco move ?

An overview of the Samnite Roster.

The roster counts about 15 specific units and some shared with the Romans as mercs/auxiliaries

An overview of the Massilian roster, in battle

Epistratoi Hoplitai (reserve hoplites)

Massilian Thureophoroi

Massilian Euzonoi light infantry

Massilian hoplites vs rogue Lusitanians and Iberian scutari

Massilian Hoplites

Massilian lancers against caetrati

Ligurians auxiliaries against Devotio scutari

Massilian peltasts

Massilian light Thureophoroi

Auxiliary Keltohellenoi Infantry

Massilian militia hoplites

Massilian Ekdromoi/Fast Hoplites

Massilian Epilektoi Hoplites

Massilian reformed hoplites

Historical battle: Magnesia

Last edited by cocobongoclub-DJ; September 23, 2018 at 09:12 AM.

The speed of battles in mod has remained as in vanilla?

This is fantastic mass of work.
    How many CATWs are for now?)

And why the mod-leader rejected the old map with full India..?

Congatulations for Samniti Bello release!

@Ahowl Thanks mate !
    @gannibalbarka Yes, and no, if you are using more units with more experience (and they generally all have a better morale and resistance) battles should takes quite long.
    i remembered one with four thracian armies in succession vs my legion that spanned about 45 min.
    You also play with the horse speed in the mounts file but i know little more about ways to have these battles drag on. Compared to Vanilla they are slower, that's all i know
    In campaign that's another story. I still have 4 Tpy scripts to work. But they made less sense in very larges maps like MM
    @Saloth Sar: There should be eight of them. catw03 and 05 (1.2) are operational the others are betas riddled with problems.
    I'm the mod leader ^^ and no, catw 2.0 map looks fantastic but it seems not to work on steam. But it will try to find a way to use it for another campaign, possibly in 230 BC (catw 1.9)
    By the way congratz for your ww2 mod, that was a lot of fun (to play) !

Civis

I noticed that Triarii are at half-strength by default, how does this affect the balance of battles. Are they supposed to be super good units, otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to add them to an army? And if they are super good, are other super good units given the same half-strength treatment?

EDIT: Nvm I took a peek into the EDU and saw their defense stats. Wow! Almost knocked me off my chair for a second.
    Last edited by OJ33DA; September 30, 2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    I noticed that Triarii are at half-strength by default, how does this affect the balance of battles. Are they supposed to be super good units, otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to add them to an army? And if they are super good, are other super good units given the same half-strength treatment?

EDIT: Nvm I took a peek into the EDU and saw their defense stats. Wow! Almost knocked me off my chair for a second.
    For Triarii, yes they are half the normal unit size to be historically coherent compared to regular hastati/principe uniots according to Polybius. Even the animation follows polybius description (although a little but buggy i confess )
    And yes, in defence they mean business. Just as theu suppose to act for the masses of hastati/principes to regroup behind these guys. Look at them a bit like the Napoleonic old guard. Almost never engaged but still there just in case. Hence the famous Roman expression "falling on the triarii" when things gets very hot and very wrong
    Cheers,

Civis

Hey I was just wondering, why do some phalanx units have a secondary weapon and some don’t. The Mori Gaesum for example, don’t have a long sword and I just find that design choice to be odd.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    Hey I was just wondering, why do some phalanx units have a secondary weapon and some don’t. The Mori Gaesum for example, don’t have a long sword and I just find that design choice to be odd.
    Hello OJ
    It turned out to be that way to "force" them to engage with their spears when attacking since that was their main speciality. On the tech side it's very easy to change.
    Go to data/ in your catw05 folder. Then search for export_descr_unit.txt
    Then search for this entry "merc mori gaesum"

type merc mori gaesum
    dictionary merc_mori_gaesum ; Helvetic Phalanx
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Heavy_1
    soldier mori_gaesum, 30, 0, 1
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, very_hardy, mercenary_unit
    formation 0.7, 0.7, 1.7, 1.7, 4, square, phalanx
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 10, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 25 ,0.73
    stat_pri_attr spear, short_pike, spear_bonus_8
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25 ,1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 8, 8, 6, metal
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 3
    stat_ground 1,0,1,1
    stat_mental 18, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 1880, 290, 90, 150, 1880
    ownership gauls, numidia

Look for this line:
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25 ,1

Just change it for:
    stat_sec 10, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1

Done. Now you can attack in sword mode.

If you remove the "phalanx" option they will attack and fight with a sword

But if you push the phalanx mode they will "push" with their spears first and for some units a bit outside the formation and hard pressed, still sword fighting. The game mechanic works well at that point.
    Last edited by cocobongoclub-DJ; October 07, 2018 at 01:43 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast