Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Long Night

Foederatus

Default The Long Night

The Long Night is a mod currently being single-handily developed by me, set in a period of ice age.

The Long Night - Description

The Long Night is a mod I've been working on in my free time for about a year now, though I haven't gotten all that much done yet. The idea for it came to mind when, frustrated with CA's lack of mod support for modifying the campaign map, I figured why not just try to change the campaign as much as possible and create a setting based off that? Thus, The Long Night was born. The setting of the mod is essentially an alternate history where the Earth descends into another ice age, therefore leaving the most northern of lands save for Britain (due to its milder conditions) inhospitable. The start date of the mod is 640 AD, roughly a century after the ice age first descended upon Europe. Barbarian kingdoms still hold onto Western Roman lands, although they have been weakened by a lack of sustenance, and because of this they seek to expand further south into Roman-held lands. The Roman Empire is also weak, with Justinian's recent conquests being threatened by invasive barbarians from the north seeking to flee the cold. Additionally, the Exarchate of Africa has broken from the Empire due to concerns about Constantinople's ability to defend her farthest territories, and Italy lies besieged by the Lombards. The Visigoths fight a civil war in Spain, Francia lies dormant in southern Gaul, and the Ostrogoths in Dalmatia are embroiled in a war with the Avars further north, though they may soon turn their attentions to the Roman territory they formerly occupied in Italy. The Sassanid Empire is relatively untouched by the winter, but is endangered by a new threat to its west, the Caliphate, who seek to expand into both Persian and Roman territory. Aside from these major powers, few nations remain, as many regions lie desolate from the cold. As a result of the changing climate, food and manpower are at an all-time low, meaning that unit sizes on all units have been reduced (infantry unit size is 100 at ultra, though this is a relatively recent change and therefore doesn't show up in any of my screenshots below), and the economies of many nations suffer. There are also some supernatural elements in the mod (like a demonic invasion at 666 AD and the seasons being forever locked to winter), although I try not to devolve the mod into a fantasy setting and try to keep at least some historical accuracy.

Also included in the mod are balancing changes and changes to buildings, with many unique buildings added (such as the slave farms in Alexandria, established by the Roman Empire to drive up food production but at the cost of global public order for each upgrade). Many new scripted events/dilemmas are added to provide some sort of a story, as well as new missions. I've also been designing new units, and a WIP Vanguard Unit system (similar to Regiments of Renown from TW: Warhammer), and emergent faction invasions (WIP, though the Demonic Invasion is fully functional!). Other smaller features include: disabled razing/re-settlement (only the demonic faction can raze, and once a settlement is lost it's gone for good), a visually modified campaign map achieved by jury-rigging terry, kingdom events from Age of Charlemagne for every playable faction, war weariness, and more edicts. Oh, and the ability to commit mass suicide for every single unit in the game, can't forget that one.

The Long Night - Screenshots

The Long Night - FAQ

Q: Hey, the Long Night sounds familiar! Does it have anything to do with the Long Night from Game of Thrones?

A: No, it's pure coincidence that GoT's generation-long winter also happens to have the same name as mine (seriously!). When I first started making this mod I knew nothing about Game of Thrones, and still to this day I do not watch it.

Q: Why is there a Commit Suicide feature in the game for units?

A: To deprive the Undergod of any useful life forces.

Q: What sort of challenges might a player expect in this mod?

A: Aside from the end-game demonic invasion, I plan to add various emergent faction invasions and global events such as rumors spreading through your empire that the Begotten are coming, lowering public order. There will also be the constant worry of food shortages. At this stage I'm not entirely sure what else I'm going to do to make the game more challenging, but as the Imperial Remnants faction the game is hard as hell currently. It's like the WRE but on crack.

Q: What are some other planned features?

A: Storylines for every faction, along with some other stuff I haven't decided upon yet to try and raise the difficulty. The main reason I'm trying to make this mod is to provide a difficult but fun experience. I'd also like to do more UI things but my skills are limited.

Q: When will this mod be released?

A: I don't have a definitive answer for this, because I'm the only one working on the project and it's in my spare time. Any help would be appreciated though, particularly in regards to modelling, UI work, or scripting!

Thank you for reading!

Default Re: The Long Night

Thought it was going to be about prehistoric cave man times when you said ice age but this looks cool too

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

This looks really cool! +rep

Agree, really interesting =)

Just have one question, whats the deal with baby head guy? Its so weird looking

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    Just have one question, whats the deal with baby head guy? Its so weird looking
    That's as demonic as I can get him looking without making custom models lol.

Maybe you can use some skins from the Lord of the Rings or the Game of thrones mods, Lord of the rings one will definitely have some orc faces you could ask to use.

Foederatus

Maybe you can use some skins from the Lord of the Rings or the Game of thrones mods, Lord of the rings one will definitely have some orc faces you could ask to use.
    idk I don't want to pillage from other mods. I'd rather hire someone to make me some basic models or something.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

I get why you say you'd rather not pillage, but I personally I don't/wouldn't look at it that way. I look at it as not reinventing the wheel, but each to his own.

Ya I'm with Frunk on this one, we all help/inspire each other in some way or another. TWC is one big modding team

Foederatus

The most I could see myself using from other mods anyways would be some sort of China faction, since I plan to have Chinese refugees as an emergent faction in the east, as they flee the Undergod's hordes. The rest would probably need to be custom.

Sounds like you have a whole lore planned out, did you come up with this story line yourself?

Foederatus

Yeah. Not exactly a lore but more of a series of events that occur prior to the Begotten invasion of Europe.

Kind of reminds me of Warhammer a bit but in late antiquity instead of the middle ages. What sort of units are planned for the begotten invasion?

Foederatus

Kind of reminds me of Warhammer a bit but in late antiquity instead of the middle ages. What sort of units are planned for the begotten invasion?
    The Begotten mostly consist of reanimated corpses (400-strong compared to the 100-strong standard infantry of other factions), with high charge but low missile block. There's also the pursuers, amorphous black masses which travel at insane speeds, the headless horsemen for cavalry, and the Undergod himself who is a 1-man tank that can hurl fireballs or throw 100 flaming scorpion bolts with perfect accuracy. I'm also experimenting with ranged units for the Begotten, like baby-throwing onagers or smaller fireball-casting zombie priests, as well as suicide bombers.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by DETrooper View Post
    The most I could see myself using from other mods anyways would be some sort of China faction, since I plan to have Chinese refugees as an emergent faction in the east, as they flee the Undergod's hordes. The rest would probably need to be custom.
    There's a China mod for Rome 2. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=229501730 Contrary to what Steam says, it was actually made by this guy. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198038047323/
    By the way, the baby faced demon is hilarious. Kinda reminds me of Blaster from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; June 09, 2017 at 01:05 AM.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    There's a China mod for Rome 2. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=229501730 Contrary to what Steam says, it was actually made by this guy. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198038047323/
    By the way, the baby faced demon is hilarious. Kinda reminds me of Blaster from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
    Yeah I know Wiid, he's on my friends list on steam. I didn't know that guy reposted Wiid's mod lol. Just thought they were similar.

Hi, a really nice mod, well done!!! Any updates or news?

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by hidra96 View Post
    Hi, a really nice mod, well done!!! Any updates or news?
    Well I added a feature inspired by Total War: Warhammer's unique cities so that there are now 12 custom city building chains for several important cities (i.e. Constantinople, Ravenna, Rome, Ctesiphon, Medina, etc.), each with unique garrisons, building effects, and possibly with a unique unit available to the faction that holds that city. For example, if the Sassanids capture Ravenna I might make them able to recruit Ravenna Elite Balistari or something. I've also been working on scripts and I'm trying to pump out as many custom units for each faction as possible.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by DETrooper View Post
    I'm also experimenting with ranged units for the Begotten, like baby-throwing onagers or smaller fireball-casting zombie priests, as well as suicide bombers.
    I hadn't seen this post when I posted that reply. Those 3 things are possible btw, I've tested em at various times but I could never really get the suicide bombers working perfectly, there'd always be one or two of them left alive after the explosions (I used 24 man squads). I like the unit cards and headless units by the way.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; June 16, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast