Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Divide et Impera 1.2.1 Hellenic Overhaul Released!

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Divide et Impera 1.2.1 Hellenic Overhaul Released!

Quote Originally Posted by Malefidus View Post
    Awesome! By then I may have actually worked out what to use as line infantry for my Germans :/
    im sorry, but neither the Suebi nor the Lugii are part of the barbarian rework - both factions are fine as they are.
    Done so far: Iceni, Arverni and Dacians. I will also try to do something for the galatians, but only graphical changes and maybe there will be a surprise faction, but not playable without the "all factions playable" submod

<3

Released 1.2.1a Fix update with various fixes and balancing changes.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Is Macedon supposed to not be able to recruit any pike units with the level 1 barracks? Epeiros for example can.

Nvm looks like it was a bug as it is fixed in the newest update. Macedon start is much easier now!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Try the updated Macedon and let us know guys.
    It seems that it's more manageable now.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 29, 2017 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    Diplomacy with other Greeks as Macedon is actually possible now! Sparta and Ptolemy still seem to hate and attack you, but being able to get a non aggression pact with the Aetolian league really helps with buying some breathing room to unite Thrace. It's a far less frustrating start than before.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    It is, at least on "normal". I got non-aggression pacts with the Illyrians and the Thracian Triballi, also with the Aetolian League. So it was possible to subdue, uh, liberate Greece. Especially because Athens did not declare war, only Sparta did.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy66 View Post
    Diplomacy with other Greeks as Macedon is actually possible now! Sparta and Ptolemy still seem to hate and attack you, but being able to get a non aggression pact with the Aetolian league really helps with buying some breathing room to unite Thrace. It's a far less frustrating start than before.
    Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    It is, at least on "normal". I got non-aggression pacts with the Illyrians and the Thracian Triballi, also with the Aetolian League. So it was possible to subdue, uh, liberate Greece. Especially because Athens did not declare war, only Sparta did.
    Good to know it's more playable now.
    I'm going to play-test Macedon on Hard with Softcore mod for the first turns and later add back harcdcore, as I'll have more solid position,economy,army.

antred's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Roma Invicta753 View Post
    Hello Dresden. Will there be a new tactic (Shield wall as I remember) included for the Roman Legionaries in these upcoming "surprises"? I remember that KAM mentioned that tactic for the Romans a few months ago..
    Isn't a shield wall kind of the formation Roman infantry uses anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by antred View Post
    It very much depends what one means by 'shield wall'.

If it's referring to a closely spaced, well disciplined group of heavy infantry, absolutely.

When referring to a physical wall of shields a la the Phalanx or the classic Saxon / Viking examples? Not really. This was the distinction of flexibility that the legions had relative to such tactics - their men fought together, but they carefully ensured each man enough space to move comfortably and to fight effectively as an individual without fear of interfering with the next man over. Combined with strict discipline, the freedom of movement let them react in detail to small changes in the situation without the sort of inertia and risk of disorder a more rigid formation has even with skilled troops. (Hoplites and Phalangites are written to have had functioning sub-units down to small scales, and in theory were trained to maneuver at that level, but the practicalities of such a mutually supporting formation limit that quite a bit.)

OK so feedback on the overhaul..

1. I absolutely love the unique general bodyguard units for Antinigodai. I think it would be great if this became a trend (unique general units -> Macedon, Sparta) in factions that have the history to back it up, such as Companion cavalry or Spartan hoplites.

2. The new short pike units are also a great unit overall. Very handy and very deadly when deployed properly. This is how a true elite unite should feel like, expensive and hard to obtain and on a overdose of steroids on the field. Ordinary men don't compare with soldiers doing this as a profession. I remember reading on the "history lesson" that these elite pikemen would when needed drop their pikes and act as elite peltasts, being trained in both pike and sword. Is that reflected on the field? Are these guys just as skilled without the pike phalanx?

3. Population system really feels fleshed out in this new version. Don't know if it was because of tweaks or the actual 1.21 release, but it is way better integrated in the game. Now, I feel a need to fight each battle because the auto resolve losses me many men and I would rather not drain my population without reason.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by gornoviceanu View Post
    OK so feedback on the overhaul..

2. The new short pike units are also a great unit overall. Very handy and very deadly when deployed properly. This is how a true elite unite should feel like, expensive and hard to obtain and on a overdose of steroids on the field. Ordinary men don't compare with soldiers doing this as a profession. I remember reading on the "history lesson" that these elite pikemen would when needed drop their pikes and act as elite peltasts, being trained in both pike and sword. Is that reflected on the field? Are these guys just as skilled without the pike phalanx?
    They are still good outside of phalanx but we have included really nice melee version of them that act as heavy peltasts Melee version is using exact same equipment and look but they use javelins instead of sarissa.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by antred View Post

The Roman formation was much more complex and it involved periodic rank switching so that the first line might rest and take care of wounds while the second, fresh line would present itself to the weary enemy. When forming a battle line, each century (let's imagine a platoon of soldiers from a modern day army) is aware of it's existence and is divided into maniples (squads of a platoon). During the fight, centurions would order maniples to make tactical moves into the line, such as creating a breach point and the pouring in, maneuvering or formation shifts. All this, in the chaos of battle. To say the Roman formation is a merely a shield wall is an insult

edit: @ KAM that sounds cool, seems like my Companion Royal cav is gonna have some highly competent support force, fit for them

edit 2: @ KAM ; thought of 2 more things to ask ok.. so number 1, to the Iphicritean peltasts fight in a "pike phalanx" mechanic wise? I know they don't have the button but the way the behave in melee sure looks like pikes. And number 2: I noticed that on some types of ground (only happened in cities with no walls for now) some ground (seems like only the one with or around market stalls and stuff) is not allowing me to form phalanx. My phalanx button is grayed out and if I move an already formed phalanx on that ground the formation just distrupts (at least the animation) while the phalanx status is still active on the unit's flag card. Is it a bug? Or is it some God sent mechanic where phalanx can't be deployed on bad terrain anymore?
    Last edited by gornoviceanu; May 29, 2017 at 03:28 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234