Thread: Cheap Desktop That Can Run Rome Total War?

Default Cheap Desktop That Can Run Rome Total War?

Hello, I've been trying to play Rome Total War but the game keeps crashing on me midway through the campaign. I'm currently running a Windows 7 desktop with an Athlon II X2 215 Processor and GeForce6150SE video card but even on the lowest settings for everything the game lags like crazy.

I just want to know if there is a cheap Windows XP/7 desktop that can run this game at medium to high settings for under $100. I've been looking at the Dell Optiplex GX620 and Dell Optiplex 755 SFF but I am not sure if these are ideal. What desktops do you guys recommend or are currently running RTW with?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Cheap Desktop That Can Run Rome Total War?

Hi Kevin4762, welcome to TWC!

I'll move this thread to the Rome Tech section, but also feel free to check out The Basement and make another thread there. It is home to more of our resident tech gurus.

Thread moved from Rome: Total War General Discussion.

I'm pretty sure there's another thread about this btw..
    Anyways, some pointers:

Dual core is enough. Don't bother going over i3 price-wise.
    4gb of RAM is enough. Don't bother going over this price-wise.
    Around an nVidia GT630 is enough. Don't bother... you get it by now,
    Play on a 1280x1024p monitor max for that graphics card.
    Huge unit settings should now be ok for you.
    3x speed (which is actually 6x) will stutter still on large battles, consider this as normal.
    And please don't forget you need to match the processor and RAM-cards to the motherboard-socket and motherboard-slots...

There you go.
    Shouldn't cost you more than $250 if you scrap it together. Try some second-hand stuff from tweakers.net maybe.
    For staying under your $100 budget --> I don't think you can. You just won't get a PC capable of the above unless someone is doing away with their old PC for cheapsies as a whole.

Hope this helps.
    Check out this guide for making stuff work on Win10: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX

--Let's Carpe the out of this Diem!

Thank you so much Skizzy!

neep's Avatar Tiro

Additional comment -
    Your current processor runs at 2.7GHz (?) which is probably on the hairy edge of being workable.
    Is it possible with your current set up to overclock that to 3.2+ GHz ? If so, that might be a cheap solution to your lag issues.

The CPU does the heavy lifting of pathfinding and moving units around on the battlefield, not the GPU.
    From my experience, there's a certain clock speed where everything seems to click and the CPU can keep up with the demands on it. Below that speed it just bogs down and can't keep up.
    That magic speed (on my CPU) seemed to be around 3GHz

RTW runs on a single core, so multiple cores isn't going to help. As long as you can get a cheap, single core processor running faster than 3-3.5GHz then you'll be good to go.