Thread: Empire Army Templates

Icon5 Empire Army Templates

Since The Empire seems to be a pretty popular faction, I was thinking that I could get a thread started where people could list and compare their preffered Imperial army lists/templates. So far, I have developed two.

1. The "Imperial Army":

• 1 Imperial General/Karl Franz/Balthasar Gelt
    • 1 Imperial Commander (if Gelt), or Wizard (if General/Karl Franz)
    • 4-5 Spearmen/Halberdiers
    • 4-5 Swordsmen/Two-Handed Swordsmen
    • 4 Crossbowmen
    • 3 Reiksguard/Imperial Knights
    • 1-2 Mortars/Helstorm Batteries

This is my "standard" campaign army. Jack-of-all-trades, good on long campaigns and in sieges.

2. The "Sigmar Crusaders"

• 1 Arch-Lector/Volkmar the Grim
    • 1 Battle Priest
    • 6 Fanatics
    • 4 Free Company Militia
    • 2 Handgunners
    • 3 Pistoliers/Outriders
    • 2 Knights of the Blazing Sun
    • 1 Luminark of Hysh

This army is designed to strike fast and hard, while avoiding sieges. Used against enemies like Vampire Counts and Beastmen.

The trouble is, I haven't progressed far enough into the campaign to fully deploy either of these configurations, and doing so would likely bankrupt me. Furthermore, both of these armies were slaughtered in custom battles against the Greenskins and Vampire Counts, respectively. This has all left me a bit concerned. Does anyone know why my ideas dont seem to be working? Does anyone have any better templates?

Default Re: Empire Army Templates

The most annoying thing about Empire is how difficult it is to get all the buildings so 90% of the campaign is with just Barracks units.

'Real' army list

8 Swordsmen
    6 Crossbow
    2 Greatswords
    2 Reiksguard
    1 Hero or Artillery (Captain, Wizard, Mortar, RoR Hellstorm)
    1 Lord

Preferred List (usually not available until 80-100 turns)

4 Greatswords
    4 Handgunner
    2 Crossbowmen
    2 Outriders with Grenades
    2 Reiksguard
    1 Hellstorm
    1 Infantry RoR
    1 Demigryph
    1 Steamtank
    1 Wizard
    1 Lord

Themed List (Army of Middleheim)

4 Spearmen with Shields or Halberdiers
    4 Handgunners
    3 Greatswords (1 should be Teutogen Guard but have to look at mods for those)
    2 Knight of the Empire (Knights Panther... mods)
    1 Outriders (Kislevite horsemen)
    1 Knights of the Blazing Sun or White Wolf (Reik.... mods)
    1 Demigryphs
    1 Great Cannon
    1 Warrior Priest
    1 Captain
    1 Lord
    Last edited by Ichon; May 28, 2017 at 06:03 PM.

With some of the new DLC you can get Free Company Militia in your main army, and they are very cost effective and they benefit from both the red line general updates of tactician and honest steel. With that DLC in the early game I found that having an army like this worked extremely well:

6-7 Free Company Militia (main line)
    4 Swordsmen (2 on each flank)
    5-6 Crossbows
    1 Lord
    1 Hero unit
    1-2 shock cav unit
    1 Artillery

Without the DLC, replace the free company with more swordsmen and add 2 more crossbows.

Never get greatsword units, they are just not cost effective. You are almost always better off using halbeards in the late game. In the late game I would go for an Army that looks pretty much the same, just mainly upgrading the artillery and cavalry and getting more armies of that same kind.

I play on Legendary and usually finish campaigns between 90-120 turns.

Plus free company are OP as hell in auto resolve.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Wow. It's funny how different people play this game. I like the flexibility of the Empire compared to other factions. But, I also like flair. My anti-chaos build is usually like this:

1 Lord
    2 Captains
    1 Wizard (Either light or jade)
    2 handgunners
    2 mortars
    3 steam tanks
    2 reiksguard
    2 halberdiers
    2 spearmen
    2 crossbows
    1 fun unit

You can have some fun putting the captains and your lord ahead of your main line. The enemy will engage them and get shot to pieces by your steam tanks and ranged units. I know there's more cost efficient/practical builds, but I've been playing total war since Shogun and I can't get enough of the hero units and tanks.

I also built another highly effective anti-chaos build with two luminarks and a bright wizard. Could blast any general away before they got to the front lines. So much fun.

Hi,

Can someone gives an empire template for an army against Norska and Chaos? I don't have trouble against vampires but i found Norska to be really tough, and now they tend to have mostly armored units. I haven't played this game since early to mid 2016 but now there are lots of changes. Also, what is the cheapest composition that can get the job done? For some strange reason, I can only afford less than 3 stacks of basic armies. I remember I used to be able to crank out 6 stacks of armies with two stacks being all elite. Anyways. one type of army that I have seen some youtuber used successfully was one that has mostly halberdiers, but I have heard that halberdiers have been adjusted many times since the game came out so I don't know how well they perform these days. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeman_0 View Post
    Hi,

Can someone gives an empire template for an army against Norska and Chaos? I don't have trouble against vampires but i found Norska to be really tough, and now they tend to have mostly armored units. I haven't played this game since early to mid 2016 but now there are lots of changes. Also, what is the cheapest composition that can get the job done? For some strange reason, I can only afford less than 3 stacks of basic armies. I remember I used to be able to crank out 6 stacks of armies with two stacks being all elite. Anyways. one type of army that I have seen some youtuber used successfully was one that has mostly halberdiers, but I have heard that halberdiers have been adjusted many times since the game came out so I don't know how well they perform these days. Thanks
    War Mammoths and Hellcannon destroy Halberdiers but they do pretty well against most other heavily armored units with the Lord having maxed their redline skills.

Cheapest build I have found that works fairly well but haven't tested against the new ramped up Chaos but reliably won all the previous Chaos invasions;

Lord, Captain, Wizard(Light, Metal, Life, Shadows), 6 Halberdiers, 6 Handgunners, 4 Reiksguard or Knights of the Blazing Sun or Demigryphs depending on finances/availability, Mortar/Helstorm/GreatCannon- RoR is best if unlocked.

Halberdiers are only to hold- strengthen with Magic/Lord abilities, Handgunners focus on Chaos Knights/Mammoths/Giants, then whatever Large targets, then, flying/fast targets, then flank and rear shoot on remaining infantry. Cavalry to protect handgunners and take out Hellcannon then rear charge. Lord and Captain use in front so Hellcannon target them first, then retreat behind the line unless enemy LL comes out front, kill enemy LL if able but more important use abilities and boost leadership of Halberdiers. Arty to ensure enemy attacks and with some practice can guide 2-3 shots into center of enemy units but don't spend too much time in first person command of the arty.

Cavalry can also take War Mammoth charge a bit better than anything except Large monsters so to stop War Mammoths for routing half your halberdiers sometimes send cavalry in but only if your handgunners can focus fire on the Mammoths and no fast flankers.