Thread: How to stop units from re-spacing when using firing drills?

Default How to stop units from re-spacing when using firing drills?

Guys need some seasoned input here. Been modding for a while, but I noticed that in one mod I used my line infantry keep on re-spacing before they use any fire drill. This is even though I used the same unit spacing 1.2 x 1.3 that IS uses for their infantry and in IS the infantry do not re-space before using the firing drill.

What is the correct spacing then or am I missing some other trick?

Lugie's Avatar Civis

Default Re: How to stop units from re-spacing when using firing drills?

What do you mean re-spacing? Are you talking about the infamous shuffle bug (one that was never fixed and is, at best, a game-winning bug and at worst completely game-breaking)?
    So far, the only way I have seen that kinda fixes it but not completely is by increasing the radius of the unit to something much bigger, like 0.44, and decreasing the spacing between ranks to something a bit tighter. The chaps over at Imperial Destroyer did this and it works good. At times it creates some very cool, natural looking line battles with lines that have slight folds or kinks.

Hmm I mean when a unit goes to platoon or mass fire and the men in the formation spread out to adopt the firing drill. The mod I'm using now is actually ID, I removed the skirmish mode from some of the line infantry and gave the men the same close formation spacing that IS uses, and gave them platoon or mass fire to see how it works. The formation still wants to spread out to use the firing drill, whereas in IS with the same close formation spacing they do not.
    Last edited by pappagoat; May 21, 2017 at 09:10 AM.

Lugie's Avatar Civis

For the firing drills, I'm not sure then. You could still try to increase the radius, and that might make the units think they don't need to spread out as they are already in position. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to fix your problem.

I haven't fooled around with the radious. The easy fix is to remove certain firing drills in each type of units. Now that I have a lot more time, this something I will be working on among other things.