Thread: Army AND Garrison in city - what happens when attacked?

Default Army AND Garrison in city - what happens when attacked?

Hey!

There's one question I just can't find the answer to, and that I'm reluctant to just play out and "see what happens" in my current campaign.

Say I have a city with a garrison of 12 units and I also have garrisoned an army of 9 units in the same city. If I am besieged, that should mean that I have 21 units for defence, but at the same time this exceeds the maximum of 20 units in an army. So what happens during sieges of cities with both garrison-units and a garrisoned army?
    Will only the Army defend?
    Will only the garrison defend?
    Will both the garrison and the army defend, and if so how when the units exceed the max of 20? Full army + as many garrison-units it takes to reach 20? Full army + full garrison? Full army + full garrison, but with whole garrison or exceeding units in garrison as reinforcements?

I hope someone knows the answer to this

Default Re: Army AND Garrison in city - what happens when attacked?

Quote Originally Posted by FredHealth View Post
    Hey!

There's one question I just can't find the answer to, and that I'm reluctant to just play out and "see what happens" in my current campaign.

Say I have a city with a garrison of 12 units and I also have garrisoned an army of 9 units in the same city. If I am besieged, that should mean that I have 21 units for defence, but at the same time this exceeds the maximum of 20 units in an army. So what happens during sieges of cities with both garrison-units and a garrisoned army?
    Will only the Army defend?
    Will only the garrison defend?
    Will both the garrison and the army defend, and if so how when the units exceed the max of 20? Full army + as many garrison-units it takes to reach 20? Full army + full garrison? Full army + full garrison, but with whole garrison or exceeding units in garrison as reinforcements?

I hope someone knows the answer to this

Now i'm not sure but i think that your army and the garrison army are separated from each other, as in they will both defend but as 2 different stacks rather than 1 combined stack.

Both defend at the same time, and can be immediately commanded. The UI merely has you commanding 21 units, because it can already accommodate up to 40 units, as you'd know in regular battles involving multiple armies.

More than 20 units isn't a problem, neither in sieges nor in regular battles. It's when there's more than 40 units, and the game decides what comes in first!

Quote Originally Posted by Illidan1371 View Post
    Now i'm not sure but i think that your army and the garrison army are separated from each other, as in they will both defend but as 2 different stacks rather than 1 combined stack.
    Thanks!

So, if I understand you correctly, you're starting with the army and then receiving the garrison as reinforcements? Will the battle play out as a siege or pitched battle (the army is IN the city)?

Quote Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
    Both defend at the same time, and can be immediately commanded. The UI merely has you commanding 21 units, because it can already accommodate up to 40 units, as you'd know in regular battles involving multiple armies.

More than 20 units isn't a problem, neither in sieges nor in regular battles. It's when there's more than 40 units, and the game decides what comes in first!
    Perfect, thanks a lot!
    Last edited by Frunk; May 20, 2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Double posts merged.

Quote Originally Posted by FredHealth View Post
    Thanks!

So, if I understand you correctly, you're starting with the army and then receiving the garrison as reinforcements? Will the battle play out as a siege or pitched battle (the army is IN the city)?
    To start, garrisons don't reinforce field battles, the only time they join in is when they sally to attack. Otherwise you can game the system by defeating armies next to settlements and also thereby defeating the garrison, and thus having a really easy time finishing them off right after. At least that's what memory indicates; it wasn't common for me to fight other stacks next to settlements, unless I was relieving a siege, in which case I didn't pay attention to what units my ally had (not that you can easily tell what units formed the garrison, anyways).

At least in field battles I've seen the AI wield both in one stack, though bear in mind that the majority of the time, the AI's not going to have an army with a garrison when they sally (the AI has this frustrating tendency to not sally unless they got like 90% power ratio for auto-resolve), or a large garrison for that matter.

When the attacker is the besieged, I cannot say since I don't recall the details the last time I've done so. Personally I doubt it, especially since the game tends to have reinforcements come from random directions, so sallying forth suddenly turns into a pincer attack!

Anyways the short answer is yes, both army and garrison defends. This WAS an issue in Shogun2 where if you filled up the settlement's garrison slots, the game will not spawn the free garrison units, the battle will always load with maximum of 20, and your units take precedence. This more or less changed since Rome2 when armies complemented garrisons, because no longer can you station small numbers of units in settlements to bolster defense.
    Last edited by daelin4; May 19, 2017 at 03:01 AM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

If the settlement has walls both garrison and army start within the settlement and the default option is 40 units UI so 21 units is not a problem. If you had 41 units then there would be 1 unit kept out of the battlefield which would then enter when your unit count first drops below below 40. Units enter as they are sequenced in your army list before battle starts and you can move those units around if you want cavalry to enter first or last or artillery to not reinforce until the very end, etc.

Garrison armies if in reinforcement range will join in nearby field battle of friendly armies. If you can arrange it that is actually the easiest way to attack enemy settlements but in Warhammer it is quite difficult to approach AI that leaves it army next to a settlement like that. Would require ambush and blocking usually or the AI hugely outnumbers you. Most often you'll find it the opposite way when you approach a settlement to lay siege and fall short in movement or lack monsters/siege and the AI attacks during its next turn with garrison reinforcing. Partly what makes taking Drakenhof or Altdorf so difficult early game.