Thread: What Westeros/Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire-MOD would be most stable as a new base?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default What Westeros/Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire-MOD would be most stable as a new base?

Hello all!

I have a simple question for you - What individual Westeros/Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire Total War-MOD would be the most stable one?

I want a mod with the units and UI of GoT Total War but with the great map of other Westeros mods - and i also want it to be as stable as it possibly can. I don't want to waste time porting an entire mod to an unstable base..

Westeros Total War, the mod of which all the submods are based on - were released as an unstable Alpha in 2011. I believe "A Song of Ice and Fire: Total War" is the only separate entity not based on Westeros. Even though it uses assets of Game of Thrones and Westeros etc. What mod is the most stable one if going to port GoT:TW?

Also, would it be possible to access Westeros 1.0 now, like SoulGamesInc? To maybe begin work of porting Game of Thrones Total War to that epic version?

I don't really see why not - as the original creators of GoT TW are the same as many of those working on Westeros 1.0. But It wouldn't be done in a long while porting an entire mod like that. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 16, 2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Default Re: What Westeros/Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire-MOD would be most stable as a new base?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Also, would it be possible to access Westeros 1.0 now, like SoulGamesInc?
    No. My project has nothing to do with 1.0 and uses nothing from the Dev folders, afraid your confused there Nygren. It's not my call but it's beyond unlikely the team would hand out access to the mods files until it's complete. The latest 'version' of the 1.0 map available would be the unfinished basic map Toho released years ago, that I believe most submods are using nowadays in various improved forms. The 'New Beginnings' submod for example...

I personally don't like A Song of Ice and Fires map due to it's size, as a case of being too large in my opinion. All of this being said I don't see an issue with stability on the current map(s).

Default Re: What Westeros/Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire-MOD would be most stable as a new base?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    No. My project has nothing to do with 1.0 and uses nothing from the Dev folders, afraid your confused there Nygren. It's not my call but it's beyond unlikely the team would hand out access to the mods files until it's complete. The latest 'version' of the 1.0 map available would be the unfinished basic map Toho released years ago, that I believe most submods are using nowadays in various improved forms. The 'New Beginnings' submod for example...

I personally don't like A Song of Ice and Fires map due to it's size, as a case of being too large in my opinion. All of this being said I don't see an issue with stability on the current map(s).
    I believe Game of Thrones: Total War is using an outdated map.

What would be the easiest way to add the latest version to GoT? I have no such skills? Is it easy and fast or hard and tedious?

Would you mind doing it? Adding a new map?

There are issues of instability on the map GoT uses and i can't solve them - that's one of the reasons i have for wanting to move the mod to a more stable base - as i want it to be stable from the beginning.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 16, 2017 at 02:20 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Your using the 0.53's map? I cant say I've used the GoT submod since Inarus was still working on it so I'm not sure what your using right now but the 'latest' map available is one Toho provided years ago and submods like New Beginnings, Petty Kings, Dream of Spring and others have tweaked and improved on since. I don't claim to be a expert, I've been learning for only a month after all, but in theory it's a simple enough process if not time consuming.

Edit: I could get around to moving it over for you, but I'm focused tonight on finishing up regions on my own map. I should've done it last night but I'm easily distracted lol.

Your using the 0.53's map? I cant say I've used the GoT submod since Inarus was still working on it so I'm not sure what your using right now but the 'latest' map available is one Toho provided years ago and submods like New Beginnings, Petty Kings, Dream of Spring and others have tweaked and improved on since. I don't claim to be a expert, I've been learning for only a month after all, but in theory it's a simple enough process if not time consuming.
    The map GoT is using isn't the original one, i believe it's an improved map - but it's FAR from the one in Age of Petty Kings.

The map and stability is everything that keeps this mod from reaching the skies. Balancing is also not fixed but will be in the update.

Okay, but might changing maps not cause incompatibility issues? Do you have links to guides? I'd rather move the map to Game of Thrones, than Game of Thrones to the map?
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 16, 2017 at 02:40 PM.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    might changing maps not cause incompatibility issues?
    Your coordinates would be off with the new map, meaning a large chunk of adjustments to correct things.

Your coordinates would be off with the new map, meaning a large chunk of adjustments to correct things.
    I have been placing units and things on a map before, so i do know about coordinates - but would it also place regions and settlements wrongly? i have not before done anything on regions and mapping. Only descr_strat.

- The Havamal

In theory PettyKing's map is larger and as a result the dimensions will be different than where your descr_strat has units placed. You got steam or skype Nygrn? Would be easier to explain than posting here.

In theory PettyKing's map is larger and as a result the dimensions will be different than where your descr_strat has units placed. You got steam or skype Nygrn? Would be easier to explain than posting here.
    Yes, i do have both - even though my Steam i never use. Skype sure, i have been using a geomod tool to find out the locations of certain settlements on the map, even though nowadays i use the show_cursorstat cheat.

- The Havamal

Add me on Skype. I can talk & work then and Parafix can get off my back for all this typing...

Edit: I could get around to moving it over for you, but I'm focused tonight on finishing up regions on my own map. I should've done it last night but I'm easily distracted lol.
    Haha, i know what you mean - i didn't get anything done last night because i can't talk and work at the same time, unlike you guys.

Will finish the mercenaries today instead. Thanks for helping me and you will be in the credits - i will send the WIP GoT:TW to you so that you can change the map. This mod will then use the "Age of Petty Kings"-map but changed a little to be set during the "War of the five Kings".

That would make the new version THAT much superior.

Also, i gladly change map again to your map when it's done, and i do not think using VltimaRatio's models would be a problem after the release of GoT:TW on your map - as pretty much you can then be counted as a co-developer.

Edit: The "Age of Petty Kings"-map will make it possible to have House Frey, the Wildlings and the Nights Watch as playable factions in the campaign.

- House Targaryen may possibly get a few regions as well even if it isn't correct for the time-period - let's say Daenarys actually did invade.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; May 17, 2017 at 06:30 AM.

- The Havamal