Thread: Best Faction For New Players

Icon5 Best Faction For New Players

I know a lot of people probably ask this question, but what's the best faction for new players? I consider myself to be a reasonably experienced Total War player (been playing since Medieval I), but I am completely new to all things Warhammer. Bearing that in mind, what is the best faction for a new player to start with, without having to use mods, cheats, or exploits?

Default Re: Best Faction For New Players

I'd have to say that the Empire is the best starting faction, standard humans with a versatile roster that covers pretty much everything except for monstrous units. Plenty of expansion directions through diplomacy and war.
    For a veteran TW player you should pretty quickly get into the campaign side of any faction really, there's nothing really mind blowing going on. For example Vampire Counts has no ranged units (They do have magic though) whilst Dwarfs have no cavalry and a very limited form of magic etc.

Icon1 Re: Best Faction For New Players

Quote Originally Posted by Npk View Post
    I'd have to say that the Empire is the best starting faction, standard humans with a versatile roster that covers pretty much everything except for monstrous units. Plenty of expansion directions through diplomacy and war.
    For a veteran TW player you should pretty quickly get into the campaign side of any faction really, there's nothing really mind blowing going on. For example Vampire Counts has no ranged units (They do have magic though) whilst Dwarfs have no cavalry and a very limited form of magic etc.
    That the Empire is the easiest faction for new players seems to be the general consensus among people who have played this game. Based on wikis, forums, LPs, etc., it seems to me that faction dififculty generally goes in the following order:
    • Easy - Empire, Brettonia
    • Medium - Dwarves, Orcs, Vampire Counts
    • Hard - Wood Elves, Beastmen, Chaos

Would you say that this list is accurate? If so, and the Empire and Brettonia really are best for new players, what Legendary Lord do you think I should use?

Default Re: Best Faction For New Players

1. Bretonnia
    2. Dwarfs
    3. Vampire Counts short campaign (only need to capture Altdorf)
    4. Chaos/Beastmen (after patches... at launch half the armies of the world would hunt you down by turn 40)
    5. Empire
    6. Wood Elves (only due to the awkward start vs other factions start, easy mode once you control entire Athel Loren)
    7. Greenskins
    8. Skarsnik
    9. Clan Angrund

That said- Warhammer is alot more random than previus TW games and the only 2 factions I've been completely eliminated by the AI as were Dwarfs and Empire though it is pretty rare for just the right combination of events to occur to make those campaigns tough. Vampires long campaign that requires elimination of Dwarfs can be pretty tough but more in a grind way than totally challenging though if you don't defeat Chaos until turn 140 or so and Greenskins died out before turn 100... Dwarfs can field some vicious armies.
    Last edited by Ichon; May 23, 2017 at 07:12 PM.