Thread: PC build

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default PC build

Hi all,

I've decided to throw lots of money at a new computer that I'll build myself. I'll mostly be using it for gaming, though I'll be doing a bit of video editing for work on it too.

My current PC is mostly 5 years old apart from a GTX 770 and a Samsung 840 PRO 120gb SSD. My plan is to keep the SSD, HDD and wireless adaptor for the new build and sell the rest to a friend for a couple of hundred dollars. I've also recently bought a 4K monitor (AOC U2879VF 28in) and my keyboard, mouse and speakers are all fine. The PSU would probably still be okay, but I don't want my mate to have to buy too many bits to run the old one, so I'll buy new. I'm in Australia, so I've started looking on pccasegear.com to begin with though I'll buy from whoever is cheapest.

I don't really have a budget, but saving money is always nice. I'm looking for something that will beautifully run everything I can throw at it though, so if there's something better for less or more, please suggest it. Here's my plan so far:

All of this comes to $2807 AUD. I'm also not sure about Windows 10. I haven't upgraded my current PC from Windows 7, so I may leave this licence with my mate if he wants it because I think he has an older version of Windows. I'll have to check on that. Otherwise, that's another cost to add.

I'm not an expert at this by any means, so any advice you can give me would be great. I assume all the bits I've chosen would fit together, but I'm not really sure if that's true.

Default Re: PC build

Considering events from this weekend, an updated Windows Ten seems like a good investment.

Ryzen may not kick Intel's ass at low or medium resolution single threaded gaming, but the future looks bright for multi threaded high resolution ones, even if it's only at the bang for buck arithmetic.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Mmm yeah, that's probably a good idea.

The Ryzen chips look good too and the price seems pretty similar at the moment. I'd be using it more for gaming than for video, so I'm leaning towards Intel. Probably too early to jump to them for me now though - they might dramatically improve soon but it's never soon enough is it?

I'm over invested in DDR Three, Ryzen still has some teething problems, as they start tweaking the code to optimize gaming; also Vega isn't out yet, and that will need about one or two seasons to iron out.

Long term would be Ryzen, and/or Intel brings out a new generation worth their likely selling price.

The minimum RAM is sixteen gigabytes, but I'm likely to up that to thirty two for the primary machine, so that's a lot of mullah, especially if DDR Five maybe two years down the road.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

I'm from Melbourne as well and I've used pccasegear once in the past. They took nearly two months just to deliver a keyboard and mouse (and the mouse turned out to be terrible but that's probably due to my poor choice of mouse). Unfortunately I don't think we've got many other options.

Yeah, I don't know of any others that are better. I've returned something to them in the past and that was easy enough to do, so that's a positive. Haven't had anything go too wrong yet.