Thread: Number of mods slows end turn time

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

Icon5 Number of mods slows end turn time

Hi.
    I've found very strange & surprising issue, it looks like end turn time can depend on number of mods installed in game ../mods folder.

I've got Windows 10 & steam version, vanilla M2TW has about 5 subfolders in mods (americas, british isles, crusade, teutonic, ... ).
    I've got additional Stainless Steel, SSHIP, and my customized SSHIP.
    So in total about 8 mods.

And yesterday I've installed TATW and additional TATW + MOS.
    So with them it was about 10 mods , 10 folders in game ../mods/ .

After some clicking in TATW+MOS I went back to my SSHIP -> AND MY END TURN TIME WAS DRAMATIC SLOW, 2-3 times worse then before.
    Game restart, steam restart, computer restart, campaign restart, ....., nothing helps.
    I've checked it many times, with stopper in hand, looking at processes in task manager (if there's any background windows job, but wasn't).

After some considerations I've removed or moved all mods except Stainless Steel & SSHIP -> AND END TURN TIME IS BACK to usual.

Currently I've got Stainless Steel, SSHIP, MySSHIP, TATW+MOS, no vanilla M2TW dlcs - so in total 4 mods -> end turns time are normal.

It looks like that if number of mods is more than about 8 - 10 -> end turn time is much worse.
    Maybe it depends on total number of files in mods folders ?
    It could look like that the game is indexing ALL the files in mods folders and still using files only from one folder.
    SSHIP mini-mods :

Default Re: Number of mods slows end turn time

On a non-steam install if you set the log to *trace you can see what it's loading and M2 doesn't check the other mod-folders. Might steam itself cause problems if it's checking all the mods for updates?

When you moved/re-moved the mods did that give you more free space on the hard-disc/partition where your M2 is installed? If you were short on space on that disc (especially if your computer is also using it for virtual memory) that can slow things down.

There's something about the games cache see;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...er-a-conundrum
    which might affect it - maybe removing the other mods resets that?

Would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced similar...

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Number of mods slows end turn time

I wasn't short on disk spaces, there was still more than 200 Gb of disc space, I've got SSD.
    While encountering this end turn slowdown I've watched my processes and disc access, there was no disc accessing.
    I've moved other mods within same disk, currently I've removed all those vanilla americanas, crusades, .... because I'm not using them anyway.
    SSHIP mini-mods :