Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tale of Rollo and the Rise of the Normans

Icon1 The Tale of Rollo and the Rise of the Normans

This will be the thread for the Attila Grand Campaign mod based on Rollo and the establishment of the Duchy of Normandy which would go on to provide some of history's most important historical figures.

Feel free to use this thread to post any images or links that will help make this mod more historically accurate.

Check back later for a more comprehensive preview of this mod.
    Last edited by Athos187; August 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM.

Default Re: The Tale of Rollo and the Rise of the Normans

Will be posting the first screenshots of the new campaign map and the german core units this weekend!

Big thanks to Hadrien Ier and Linke for permission to use their awesome models! Another big thanks to Linuslithorax for the historical advice. This is a little preview I came up with using their models and advice to create some mid 10th century skins, this will be a german general unit so they have the best armor available at the time:

Updated: 5/19

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Athos187; May 19, 2017 at 06:40 PM.

Hey guys, I started working a second job on weekends so I didn't have the time to finish the preview this weekend. However, I am still working on this every free moment I have and making a lot of progress. The models that Linke and Hadrien Ier provided are simply amazing (We now have real early medieval swords, axes and seaxes) and I'm really excited to share my progress once I've gotten enough done.

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros

Gr8 stuff. Amazing. Quite impressive. Luv the armour. Keep up the good work

You aint seen nothing yet

Cant wait to share what I've been working on

Will be posting the first preview of the base germanic roster tonight when I get home from work.

My plan for this mod is to have the English, the Germans and the Asturians all based on the vanilla germanic culture. They will all share base units and then have their faction specific units which I will show at a later date. The logic behind this is that they are all kingdoms based on the germanic migration of the 5th and 6th century and that since they are all on the periphery of the carolingian empire they aren't as sophisticated. From my research it also appears that at this time the populations of most of western europe had abandoned the cities and towns and moved into protected hill forts, so the germanic culture settlements will replicate this nicely. The only thing I will have to change is to remove the pagan buildings.

The Carolingians on the other hand will be based on the vanilla western roman culture in order to highlight their comparative sophistication. When you play as them you will see more advanced armour and towns based on the existing Gallo Roman infrastructure the Frank's captured when they conquered France.
    Last edited by Athos187; May 25, 2017 at 09:35 AM.

Alright, here is the first preview of the german base units (everything is still WIP):

Update 6/8:
    After further review of my medieval source material these skins need to be reworked quite a bit

Last edited by Athos187; June 08, 2017 at 11:09 AM.

Good studf!!!!

This is a nice time.

Ya I like how it's a bit more medieval. The more I research the dark ages more I realise how long late antiquity, which was a time of no armor and no cities in europe, stretched on.

Feel more comfortable giving all the factions properly armoured units here. The vikings of course are the crowning culture for the whole series. Pretty much started this whole thing so I could sail around the world plundering

)

Think its safe to say this Rollo mod is the most popular of the three. Views skyrocket whenever anything is posted here lol

At the moment me and Three Eyed Crow are just sorting out all the historical details and planning out development so we dont have to redo stuff later on

Updated:
    Some of the necessary changes we are planning in order to create a historical representation are:

1. Stone and wood keeps for the more advanced 10th century western settlements, the big walled castles that we all know and love weren't built until later in the 11th century (going to check out Linke's medievalish and 1212's building models to see if we can incorporate anything resembling the era)

2. Up hand spear attack animations for the cavalry (a la Bayeux Tapestry) in both Martel and Rollo era mods (will see if I can borrow something from the 1212 mod or perhaps even take a crack at it myself if necessary/ At the very least I'm going to replace the 2 handed lancer units with the basic vanilla one hand spear animation)

These two elements are key to recreating the time period so any help on these would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Athos187; June 01, 2017 at 06:19 PM.

A first test of Linke's Medievalish mod for a germanic culture town, the only thing I dont like is the main building in the center so I'm going to try and replace it with a keep model from 1212:

Have a very, very rough cut of the western european part of the campaign map, circa 885

The reason there isnt the usual Western and Eastern Francia here is because this was the last time the Carolingian Empire was completely united. Gameplay will be similar to the Western Roman Empire in the vanilla GC with tons of Viking, Muslim and Magyar hordes invading and independent duchies and kingdoms rebelling against your rule.

Last edited by Athos187; June 02, 2017 at 12:28 PM.

Wooowwwww

MitchXIII's Avatar Foederatus

This mod looks great, can't wait to play it!

We've come up with a preliminary list of playable factions, everything here is still subject to change ofc:

1. Holy Roman Empire
    2. Kingdom of Asturias
    3. Emirate of Cordoba
    4. Kingdom of Wessex
    5. Kingdoms of Ireland
    6. Kingdom of the Picts
    7. Kingdom of Jorvik (aka Danelaw)
    8. Abbasid Caliphate
    9. Kingdom of Norway
    10. Norsemen/ Normanni (aka Rollo's Viking Horde)
    11. Kingdom of Denmark
    12. Kingdom of Sweden
    13. Rus Khaganate
    14. Kievan Rus
    15. Bulgarian Empire
    16. Polons
    17. The Magyars
    18. Byzantine Empire
    19. Kingdoms of Wales
    Last edited by Athos187; June 05, 2017 at 08:20 PM.

This is one of the sources I'm using to research arms and armor for the Holy Roman Empire faction:

http://deremilitari.org/2014/02/caro...ninth-century/

Nice faction list

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast