Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 'Remember that time when...' thread

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: The 'Remember that time when...' thread

Can we please exile Cahoma again?

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    So does that mean miskin or I are the Chosen One that was Promised in a long ago prophecy? Or that the Thema Devia has gone full circle? We unwittingly started a two page long discussion about bread.
    Not at all son, for since the war there is no longer such thing as an unwitting mention of bread in Thema Devia. Unfortunately, as a fresh newblood you just ended up as mishkin's pawn in his latest attempt to re-ignite the old, dormant bread feuds.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie View Post
    Not at all son, for since the war there is no longer such thing as an unwitting mention of bread in Thema Devia. Unfortunately, as a fresh newblood you just ended up as mishkin's pawn in his latest attempt to re-ignite the old, dormant bread feuds.
    RIP I was manipulated by the evil overlords, and awarded for my obedience by being allowed to become a Deviant. I see it all so clearly now.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Jeez, why were people even into mlp back then?

Thank goodness that's all behind me now.

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lуra View Post

Good to see you've grown up. How old are you now, 8?

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Lуra View Post

I still like it, but I rarely will watch it. But I know it's there when I need something to "brighten up my daaaay"

I remember when Tintin was racist scum, and person non grata here in the forums And i supose still is.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 26, 2017 at 03:48 PM.

Got any links?

Minor random memory that just came up - the Chat one time reached 10 000 posts on a busy afternoon, and as usual the regular feelings of impending apocalypse came about. A mod was repeatedly seen lurking on the thread, and every time he showed up we all thought it was over at last, and tried to rush to get the last post in before closure, but this went on for hours because the mod was playing CoD or something.

Then the thread got sealed up, but because the mod was a little slow to open the new one, TNU went ahead and opened his own, which became TNU's brief 'rebel chat thread' and reached almost forty posts in the twenty minutes that it was open.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-TNU-s-edition
    Last edited by Inkie; May 26, 2017 at 10:39 PM.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

It would be interesting if someone did a study on why the activity of denizens decreased so drastically in recent years. It seems the RP ban has a lot to do with it. Although the religious wars offered a temporary surge in denizen activity, being unable to RP beyond the Chat Thread spoiled the fun. What's worse, being mocked and chided by the upper echelons of the citizenry disheartened many. Ironically, and perhaps as a result, denizens began to consciously infiltrate the ranks of the citizenry, perhaps hoping to represent the TD in the capitol. Ultimately, however, and without being aware of it, they got drawn into the pointless politics of the TWC government. The fact that the old-timers now placed their interests elsewhere inevitably resulted in a further decline of TD activity. Things got even worse as a result of the abolition of CdeC and the subsequent Shambala scandal. The resultant disillusionment, at least for me, caused general disinterest in TWC.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Why was RP and "King of the Devia" banned? Just because of a perceived clause in your Constitution that if the King wasn't repped once a month you'd all bully the person who didn't rep them? Seems a bit silly, just remove that clause and it would've been fun (even with that clause it probably would've still been fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    It would be interesting if someone did a study on why the activity of denizens decreased so drastically in recent years. It seems the RP ban has a lot to do with it. Although the religious wars offered a temporary surge in denizen activity, being unable to RP beyond the Chat Thread spoiled the fun. What's worse, being mocked and chided by the upper echelons of the citizenry disheartened many. Ironically, and perhaps as a result, denizens began to consciously infiltrate the ranks of the citizenry, perhaps hoping to represent the TD in the capitol. Ultimately, however, and without being aware of it, they got drawn into the pointless politics of the TWC government. The fact that the old-timers now placed their interests elsewhere inevitably resulted in a further decline of TD activity. Things got even worse as a result of the abolition of CdeC and the subsequent Shambala scandal. The resultant disillusionment, at least for me, caused general disinterest in TWC.
    Some good points, but I have things a bit differently - one, that the events surrounding the end of the original monarchy were purely Staff-Devian and didn't involve the Curia. I think that subsequently people turned to the Curia because we were looking for some other way of continuing political interaction on the forum. It didn't seem like a hostile place save for a bit of condescension, and some of us felt that we would be able to have fun there (lol). I wouldn't say that the abolition of CdeC or Shambala decreased activity - if anything they increased it while they were happening. Either way I totally get the sense of disillusionment, which is probably something you, I and a couple of other Devian curialists felt more than those of us who quietly stuck to staff work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Why was RP and "King of the Devia" banned? Just because of a perceived clause in your Constitution that if the King wasn't repped once a month you'd all bully the person who didn't rep them? Seems a bit silly, just remove that clause and it would've been fun (even with that clause it probably would've still been fun).
    My impression was that it was seen as an extra workload to take care of brimming with potential for trouble, regardless of how it was done. They may or may not have ended up right, but we never really got to find out, because instead of a decision to restrict particular elements of it that were seen as harmful (like directing the rep flow) it was decided to ban everything. It's important to consider that in those days the Moderators struck terror into the hearts of Devians at their mere appearance, and the TD had a very small 'voice' anywhere else on the site. There was a limited level of understanding both ways because there were no citizens/staff who were Devians, so it was just seen as a ghetto, unable to produce anything of worth, in fact anything at all except spam and infractions. In my case, at the time there was still a lot going on on TWC and although I never abandoned the hope of bringing some form of RP back, I did kind of get my hands full with other things. As mentioned, being met with a mixture of cold refusal and contempt by Staff, Curia and a single denizen when we finally tried to have a discussion about it was a rather disheartening thing.
    Last edited by Inkie; May 30, 2017 at 12:49 AM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie View Post
    Some good points, but I have things a bit differently - one, that the events surrounding the end of the original monarchy were purely Staff-Devian and didn't involve the Curia. I think that subsequently people turned to the Curia because we were looking for some other way of continuing political interaction on the forum. It didn't seem like a hostile place save for a bit of condescension, and some of us felt that we would be able to have fun there (lol). I wouldn't say that the abolition of CdeC or Shambala decreased activity - if anything they increased it while they were happening. Either way I totally get the sense of disillusionment, which is probably something you, I and a couple of other Devian curialists felt more than those of us who quietly stuck to staff work.

My impression was that it was seen as an extra workload to take care of brimming with potential for trouble, regardless of how it was done. They may or may not have ended up right, but we never really got to find out, because instead of a decision to restrict particular elements of it that were seen as harmful (like directing the rep flow) it was decided to ban everything. It's important to consider that in those days the Moderators struck terror into the hearts of Devians at their mere appearance, and the TD had a very small 'voice' anywhere else on the site. There was a limited level of understanding both ways because there were no citizens/staff who were Devians, so it was just seen as a ghetto, unable to produce anything of worth, in fact anything at all except spam and infractions. In my case, at the time there was still a lot going on on TWC and although I never abandoned the hope of bringing some form of RP back, I did kind of get my hands full with other things. As mentioned, being met with a mixture of cold refusal and contempt by Staff, Curia and a single denizen when we finally tried to have a discussion about it was a rather disheartening thing.
    And then TD got gentrified

Yeah, I really did consider making a thread about that instead of this.

What was the Shambala scandal?

Heh, I remember at Anagennese we used to joke about influencing votes and elections but we never actually went through with it, despite accusations from certain members.

Is Anagennese still actually active? I remember of it being spoken a lot more of back in the day, always with an air of "I'm one of the cool kids secretly plotting in our secret moon base, Anagennese".

It went into decline around 2011 and the last time it was active in any way was 2013. I'm also a member of Shambhala, but to be honest, it's not the same as Ana.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; May 31, 2017 at 06:08 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12