Thread: Ninja's FotS rework mod - BOSHIN WAR beta

Default Ninja's FotS rework mod - BOSHIN WAR beta

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0y8lWyd_wotZk9SVkgzLWkzNVE

!!! To apply reworked clan trait, DOWNLOAD THIS PATCH-MOD FILE !!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=922785743

Steam workshop link

10 May 2017

Release notes

Clan rework

Choshu
    Emperor's Fury
    Choshu is the very heart of “expel the barbarians” movement. Recently, Choshu was banned from the court of Kyoto by Shogunate loyalists' plot, and furious Sonno Joi activists are preparing themselves for coming civil war. Although Choshu is surrounded by enemies, recent conflicts also helped them to realize the importance of modernization and to nurture many great strategists. Knowing barbarian technologies are essential for incoming civil war, Choshu armies cost less, and have morale and movement range bonus. Also, Ishin shishi recruited in Choshu will be of high quality.

- Now starts with additional land units. (Damn, starting general is Takasugi Shinsaku himself, the leader of Kiheitai!)
    - Vanguard : replacing Marauding, +15% to campaign movement range
    - Fanaticism : replacing Impetus, +1 to morale for land units
    - Starting Ishin Shishi renamed : Katsura Kogoro

Note : I HATED Choshu always being wiped out in 2-3 turns. Choshu was in crazy bad situation in 1864, yes, no doubt about it.
    But...you know. I want them to lead Imperialists and invade into eastern Japan just like they did in history.
    Looting gives player very bad honour penalty, and it even stacks up to -3. I don't think looting bonus in Shogun 2 does any good, so I changed it.
    Choshu had many great generals and strategists who led Choshu to victory in Boshin War. Why no bigger, greater bonus, such as movement range?
    Also, test proved clan trait buff makes zero change to the result, so I made their starting units more powerful.

Katsura Kogoro or Kido Takayoshi : google it.

Aizu
    The Protector of Kyoto

Aizu is ruled by the Matsudaira clan. The Aizu-Matsudaira family owes its position, and even the family name, entirely to the Tokugawa shogunate. Matsudaira Katamori, the leader of Aizu is recently appointed the Protector of Kyoto, which burdened his people with a heavy expense. He had no choice but to impose an extortionate war tax to his people. Also, to protect Kyoto from violent Imperialist activities, the Matsudaira sponsored Shinsengumi, a ronin police force loyal to the Shogunate. This gives the Aizu domain well-trained shinsengumi agents and cheaper traditional units.

- Faction leader : Matsudaira Katamori now has historically accurate model.
    - White Tiger Force : Morale, melee stats increased.
    - Black Turtoise Force : Accuracy increased.
    - Starts with 2 provinces : Kyoto, Aizu
    - War tax : replacing Tradition, +10% to tax rate
    - Bushido : -10% -> -20% to recruitment costs of traditional units
    - Starting Shinsengumi renamed : Saito Hajime
    - Starting General renamed : Yamakawa Okura

Note : Matsudaira Katamori had absolute respect of Samurai population of Aizu from his personality and good conduct, but peasants resented him because of heavy emergency war tax he forced to Aizu.
    I gave Kyoto to Aizu without buff for historical accuracy, and it made its difficulty into 'legendary', so I put another buff so they can have significant early game advantage to carry on.
    Aizu always suffers money issues in early game, so I decided they could use some buff.

And FotS trad units usually come with 'expiration date' (in Korean gamer slang...) and do no good after mid-game, and that's exactly why this game is named 'Fall of the Samurai'.
    So I thought it should be no problem even if cost bonus is doubled, for EXP bonus is now gone and Shinsengumi is limited to 3 units max.
    (Shinsengumi had 200-300 men even at its peak, so I didn't like using Shinsengumi as the bulk of Shogunate armies)
    Also, Aizu can use Kyoto Mimawarigumi Police Force as well.

Yamakawa Okura : He changed his name into Hiroshi AFTER the Boshin War.

Saito Hajime : Rather well-known Shinsengumi agent who survived the war and fought Seinan War as Imperial soldier also.
    (Many samurais of Aizu joined expedition force during Seinan War, from their resentment toward Satsuma)

Victory Condition Rework

Fukushima(Aizu) added to victory condition for following Imperial factions :
    Satsuma, Choshu, Tosa, Saga
    : see Battle of Aizu(or Aizu War)

Nagato(Choshu) added to victory condition for following Shogunate factions :
    Aizu, Sendai
    : see Choshu expedition

Campaign rework

- Increased income from early buildings, and lowered their costs.
    - Doubled Short Campaign research rate bonus.

AI Cheat rework

- Battle : same morale penalty applies to AI from following reason : Death or flight of generals
    - Campaign map : following AI cheats are reduced or removed : movement range, public order
    - AI will have significantly increased income, but no longer have cost / upkeep cheat.
    - AI recruitment slot cheat is removed.
    - AI will have increased research rate.

Note : I just hated it. Your Daimyo is dead, you sons of whores! RUN!
    Also, AI territories expand and change too fast because of these public order cheats. It looks hilarious!
    You will see many 'New faction rises!' message in early game.
    AI will be more deadly if left unchecked and will develop more late game units, but (hopefully) will no longer give players frustration or steamrolling job.
    This is just test, so if it makes AI too weak, I will revert it back to original.

Unit rework

- Kyoto Police : Replaced with 'Kyoto Mimawarigumi Police Force'.
    They are basically Shinsengumi with lower stats and old matchlock.
    As I mentioned, I didn't like Shinsengumi is being the bulk of Shogunate armies.
    Instead of Shinsengumi you can use this unit, which serves very important role in early game.

But remember : they will be outdated very soon, for their stat and weapon is far worse than Shinsengumi and they also have max unit cap of 3.
    I made this change to help Aizu defend Kyoto(or conquer Imperialist domains around Kyoto).

- Armstrong Gun : Now have max unit cap of 3. AI will recruit these killing machines more often.

- Shinsengumi Police Force : Reduced size to 160, have greater stats but only can recruit 3 units max. Now recruitable from ANY propaganda building.

Goal is simple : to save Choshu from early annihilation, and to make real 'Boshin War' between Shogunate and Imperial forces.
    I understand Choshu was on the brink of total annihilation in 1864, but who wants Boshin war without Choshu? They need some remedy.
    As Shogunate factions, you must defeat Choshu, the leading domain of Sonno Joi movement and complete Choshu expedition to win campaign.
    As Imperial factions, you must defeat strongest and most resilient Shogunate loyalist faction, the Aizu domain.

Some factions don't have this changed victory conditions. That's because they were not 'major factions' in Boshin war itself.

+ I tried to make change on Tosa Rifleman for historical accuracy. Their rifle actually could fire 15-20 rounds per minute.
    And I thought it would make very unique and interesting unit if they have that high RoF and low accuracy(they made hell lot of smoke), but I failed to adjust the animation.
    (FYI, other rifles and matchlocks have historically accurate RoF)

+ It is only a beta test, especially AI cheat adjustment. If AI become too weak, leave a reply so I can change it.

+ Personal note : CA guy who made campaign map of Northeastern Japan, do your job! You are a one lazy fool!
    There are like hundreds of feudal clans fighting each other in Sengoku Jidai(just like TOTAL WAR!)
    and many pro-shogunate domains in Boshin War and you merge it into ONE PIECE? Are you even serious?

Used data of 'FotS tactics and uniforms' mod of The_Yogi, under his permission.
    Last edited by Torment1234; May 10, 2017 at 06:35 AM.

Default Re: Ninja's FotS rework mod - BOSHIN WAR beta

Temporarily hidden from the Steam Workshop.
    Even this buff couldn't save Choshu from destruction, so I'll close it down until I find out WHY.

+ I finally found out. AI Choshu was doing some stupid, suicidal , making two front enemies and killing off its main army.
    I'll fix it right up.

+ Testing new version and probably will work. Will be updated in few days.
    Last edited by Torment1234; May 11, 2017 at 10:28 PM.

Finished test playing, and will be uploaded after few more tweaks. I have less time to work on the mod, so it will be slow work.

- Removed the word 'Kisho' from the game. Again, it's a fake word and doesn't exist. For Guerrilla training, 'Nobushi' is more appropriate word, and Ninja is 'Kogatai Ninja' now.
    (Historically, Ninjas of Koga participated in Imperial side as 'Kogatai(Koga Unit)', but their Ninjutsu was useless in modern battle)
    I gave them Minie rifles instead of grenade. I'm not trying to kill off them Ninja, so they will serve as deadly assassins charge in after few rifle fire now.

- Renamed "Ganbatte" skill(and trying to change its voice). 'Ganbatte' is very modern, and GIRLY way of saying 'cheer up!' in Japanese. Ain't no one cries out 'Ganbatte!' in battlefield.
    It's beyond hilarious. Why 19th century Samurai General is speaking modern Japanese like teenage schoolgirl?

- Giving more speed to Traditional units.

- Thinking about how should I deal with the Navy. FotS Navy offers greatest Naval battle in TW to players, but as always, Navy in TW is source of frustration.
    Crazy expensive repair cost to players, annoying ships sneaking into the end of map with tons of army in it...they really need some tweak. (I would remove the navy from the game if it is mod for myself only)
    I will greatly reduce navy's percentage in AI budget and Naval activities of AI.

- Modified CAI for :
    Railway - AI WILL build Railway, no matter what kind of policy they follow.
    Some traditional AI never build railway, and players sometimes forced to take allied factions' land by force or inciting revolt, only to build and use the railway.
    Last edited by Torment1234; May 15, 2017 at 04:37 AM.

I was working on Rome 2 rework too long, sorry for that.

FotS rework 1.0 will come soon, then Shogun 2 rework will be released in July 2017.

FotS rework 1.0 is almost done. Will come in July.

Release date of Shogun 2 rework 1.0 is not sure. Data is kinda messy.