Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journey to Rome I

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Journey to Rome I

In late 1399 by the order of His Majesty, King Henry IV of Lancaster issued Ralph Neville, first Earl of Westmorland and several other Bishops of the realm to travel to the Holy City and clear out Ralph's marital status for once and for all. During the road Ralph would approach the Bishops for a private meeting. On the Road to Rome
    • Ralph Neville
    • Archbishop of York.
    • Bishop of Salisbury
    • Bishop of Winchester

Last edited by Mary The Quene; May 03, 2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Default Re: Journey to Rome I

The Earl of Westmorland approaches the Archbishop of York to have a conversation, the host of riders were not far from Milan, from afar its walls could be seen already.

Your Eminence. Said Westmorland politely to the Archbishop of York as to start the conversation.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

York looks at Neville with serious distaste. "Yes, Lord Westmoreland?"

Westmorland made a slight bow atop his horse as a sign of respect for the cleric. Your Eminence, i must confess i regret i have let it come to this, i feel bad about this all. Westmorland said, he was serious, he didn't want to lose his Joan who is pregnant.

I ask for Your Eminence to guide me to the right path through these dark hours, like a lost son guided to the path of righteousness. Westmorland said, he had been thinking alot about many things during his trip.

Westmorland continued riding upon his horse. Your Eminence, what is your opinion about the matter?, i appreciate you being honest with thyne words. he asked seriously holding a crucifex in his hands.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

York's eye twitched. "My opinion, Lord Neville, is that I am the one who brought the matter up to the King. Frankly, it bothers me that you would attempt to back out of Holy matrimony via annulment, but if that had been his Holiness' will, then so be it. However, you directly flaunted that Papal Bull, and decided to go to the False Pope of Avignon instead."

The Archbishop sighed - support a bigamist or crush the Lollards? What a choice he had been given. "That, my Lord, is heresy." Looking sternly upon the Northern Lord, York finished sternly. "If you were truly a Christian, you would have never attempted to void your marriage. And if you were truly a good man, you would go back to Lady Stafford - your wife. But I do not think you are either of these things, your actions have sullied the honour of Lady Beaufort. I hope you repent, my Lord."

I am willingly to repent for many things. he said remorseful, pretty sure his parents would frown upon his action, this misery had to stop. He crossed himself again.

But consider atleast my part of the story, from a remorseful sinner to a man of God and the Holy Mother Church. he supposed honesty was a good thing.

I was forcefully married to Lady Stafford without my consent at the tender age of fourteen years, it was not a good marriage for both of us, we suffered both from an unhappy marriage that caused us alot of pain. it really, really, really wasn't a good marriage. Must a marriage continued in misery and pain, one that brings only suffering to us both? he rhetorically asked.

They continued the ride with Milan firmly in their sights now.
    Then i meet the good Lady Beaufort, she is such a good woman and i did court her for a while. he said miserably. In a long time she has made me smile and back alive, my conscience could not allow me to stay in a marital union with the Lady Stafford. he said.

Not only was it an unhappy marriage but we are also related too close by blood, we are third cousins removed! he said, his voice frail. Then i decided to end this marriage, for the good of us both, or so i deem, first by going to the pope of Rome and then the Pope of Avignon and the latter granted me that annulment. He said, he remembered it him all well.

I was truly happy with the Lady Beaufort and i could never forgive myself if i am to leave her and her unborn child. he crossed himself again. My conscience tells me to have the good Lady Beaufort as my wife, not the Lady stafford whom i regardless gave the use of Raby Castle for live along with the custody of our children to make her preoccupied. he said.

He halted his pace for a little while.
    I hope you will atleast consider my point of view, this is what i am to tell about this all. he said, many mistakes have been made.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

York looked upon the Lord Westmoreland, and his visage softened a little. "It is normal to be wedded young, my lord. It is a fate many in my own house have dealt with - it is a fate the King himself had thrust upon him." The Archbishop sighed, truly this man understood nothing of the actions he had undertaken - did he not realise the consequences? "You have children by Lady Stafford, Lord Neville. Do you love them?"

Westmorland's face made a slight frown. I know it is normal to be wedded young, but sometimes it simply turns out completely wrong, if we had a choice we wouldn't have married. he said.

My children of the lady Stafford?. Ofcourse he liked them,his love for his children never faded at all, even as bastards. Her Children..are my children too, they are my blood and i have my responsibilities as father still, they are with their mother in one of my castle's i granted to her. he said, he wouldn't dare to separate mother from her children, that would be monstrous.

Yet these children of us are born into an union that never have should taken place. Westmorland said.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

York's face hardened again - was this man irredeemable? He could not bring himself to love his own children because of their mother? He pitied this poor, damned soul and idly made the sign of the Cross. "My nieces were married - against their will - to the favorites of King Richard. They had no say, no desire to be married to that King's lackeys, and yet they are."

He looked coldly upon Neville, distaste once again obvious in his expression. "By doing what you have done, Lord Neville, you have abandoned your children and you have betrayed them. You have made your rightful heir a bastard - and truthfully, a very large part of me hopes the Pope denies this annulment. I am here because the King has asked me to attempt to smooth this over. I considered attempting to truly help you and not just the King, but you have scuppered that ship with your attitude towards the fruit of your own loins. Now, excuse me."

York rode forwards to his fellow bishops.

---------------------------------------------

Upon arrival to Rome, the Archbishop of York requests a private audience with the Pope - he had much to say.

Rome was filthy, decadent, ruined: the cardinals' whores lived in splendid residences while the nobbility occupied old, fortified buildings, waging petty wars against each other. The Threatre of Marcellus was the fortress of the Savelli, the Colosseum was a monastery and the Temple of Hercules a church to Saint Stephan. Fortresses stood where markets were once held, and markets raged where once stood temples. Obelisks, ruined temples and noble towers competed for space in the Roman skyline. Despite the large population, most the city was empty, only populated by the ghosts of its former inhabitants. Barefoot pilgrims bought absolutions, while purple-clad cardinals were paraded in litters, acompanied by their whores and mistresses. Nephews, brothers and bastards filled the Curia, while fervent flagellants ravaged their flesh in a frenzy of zeal. Peddlers sold saints' bones a penny a piece, dug from nameless graves in the catacombs, while thousands of zealous men and women knelt before the splinters of deceased men and women, in reliquaries inlaid with rubies and pearls. Everything was for sale, even the marble pieces of old Rome, and nothing was too sinful for the city, a city that was, like the Temple of Jerusalem, full of traders and merchants, men that haggled even the salvation of your soul. Glorious and dilapidated, old and new, beacon of faith and villany. Rome, at the same time, was the craddle of the West... and its latrine.

The Lateran, the pope's palace, had burned twice in fifty years and despite the funds sent to restore it the palace had never returned to the pomp it enjoyed in previous decades. Spires and gothic tracery blended with the centuries old fabric of the walls. Before its gates there was a magnificent equestrian statue, made of bronze: he was said to be Constantine, when in fact was Marcus Aurelius, something no-one knew or will know for centuries. Rows of petitioners flooded the chancillery. Ambassadors and envoys waited for their turn, patiently, including the exotic Byzantine noblemen sent by Manuel, the Greek Emperor, who had some dealings with Boniface IX. However, the English weren't welcomed by the pope, but by his camarlengo, the Cardinal Cosimo de Migliorati. The palace was impresive, but it was said the wonders of Avignon surpased everything.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Neville sets out to discuss matters with the Bishop of Salisbury and Winchester before he moves out to seek for an private audience with His Holiness.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Salisbury was eating cheese while Winchester takes a nap on a bench, both waiting for the audience.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

(I will be taking over this rp, so Sky and Cat, send your replies asap so we can get this rolling)
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

York approached the Cardinal on his own, seeking to avoid a joint meeting until he had a chance to address the Bishop of Rome. "Eminence." he greeted calmly. "I would like to speak to His Holiness regarding a decision he reached on the annulment of a certain Lord Neville's marriage. It really is rather urgent, Cardinal - the matter has raised King Henry's ire."

OOC: +7 Charisma

Citizen

(50/50 chance of success

11, barely convinced the Cardinal)

Cardinal Cosimo de Migliorati seemed relatively unsure of the Archbishop's request, given the fact that His Holiness had many visitors around. Yet this was the sole Primate of England presently, as Canterbury's seat was unoccupied. If something important needed to be said, then the Pope needed to hear of it. The Cardinal has York wait for a moment before retreating into another room. It took almost an hour before the return of the Pope's camarlengo. In a thick Italian accent, he speaks.

His Holiness will see you, Archbishop. He asks you to follow me and make your statement quick.

He ushers York into the room, taking him through several other rooms before coming into the presence of Boniface IX. The Neapolitan native was quietly looking at some papers left by his visitors. Among them were all sorts of languages, most of which were German dialects. He seemed rather weary, having failed to garner crusading fervor on behalf of Manuel II Palaeologus, the beleaguered Byzantine Emperor in the Balkans. Not to mention other monarchs who desired his abdication in favor of the heretic of Avignon, Clement VII. Cosimo clears his throat to get His Holiness attention. The forty-nine year old male looks up to see the Archbishop of York. Cardinal de Migliorati bows his head.

Your Holiness, the Archbishop of York, Thomas Arundel.

Boniface extends his ring hand to York.

Ah, yes. You are among those sent by His Majesty, King Henry the Fourth, involving the matter of Westmorland.

He curiously then notices that York was alone.​ He had thought Lord Westmorland was with the entourage.

"Your Holiness, I assume you remember a certain Lord Neville's request for annulment - following your denial, he instead petitioned Avignon.

Lord Neville has remarried, and dragged the woman in question into sin with him. Normally, I would strongly be in favour with the original stance, however.... the situation is complicated. The woman Lord Neville has committed bigamy is Lady Joan Beaufort - King Henry's sister....

The King is very strongly against the name and honour of his sister being sullied, and he can be quite.... prickly."

Citizen

Boniface was well aware of this situation. The overthrow of Richard II, however, had delayed the matter being discussed with the Kingdom of England's government. Once word had come of his second wife, the Pope knew this would complicate matters further. Whereas the Bible would not allow bigamy and the Church would fervently desire that Westmorland return to his previous wife, this was the King's half-sister, legitimized by the late Duke of Lancaster. The Beauforts were thriving under the reign of their royal half-brother and King Henry had wide support.

We have prayed much over the matter, Arundel, but we fear that these connections Westmorland has will force the Papacy to decide on whether to remain friendly with the King or risk losing his love for Rome. We have long known the complications of this matter and whichever path we must take will only result in further consequences down the line, we fear.

He nods over to the Cardinal still present.

The Curia has been discussing how to best approach this matter. Your timely arrival will help with ensuring this matter is properly examined and a verdict pronounced quickly.

The Pope then returns his gaze to the Archbishop.

By your word then, do you mean to say that the King is not at all happy with this marriage between Lady Joan and Lord Neville? Does he desire a divorce between the two?
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; May 05, 2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    Salisbury was eating cheese while Winchester takes a nap on a bench, both waiting for the audience.
    Westmorland addressed the bishops with a short bow before speaking up, with York opposing him he would really need them as support. Your Eminences. Westmorland began the conversation, Westmorland was dressed in plain and humble clothes with a crucifix around his neck. His Majesty wishes to confirm my marriage to Lady Beaufort and my annulment to Lady Stafford in the eye's of Rome Westmorland said so, ofcourse the Bishops know.

Time to start discussing a strategy to convince the pope Westmorland thought.
    I have some idea's in mind to convince the pope of exactly doing that, will Your Eminences listen to my words? he asked.

Veritas Temporis Filia

York grimaced. "Indeed he has, Your Holiness. However, having questioned him closely in the journey from London, I find the man unrepentant and uncaring for the consequences of his actions - he cares not for the taint of bastardry he has forced upon his children, nor the damage he has done to the King or Lady Beaufort's reputation. Additionally, I find his piety to be false and selfish - a tool rather than true faith.

Perhaps, Your Holiness, if we absolved the Lady Beaufort of her sins but refused to annul Neville's marriage? I do not think King Henry would be so childish as tp back Avignon - certainly he would be angry, but more so at Neville and not enough to force him into bed with a French Puppet Pope."

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Caterina Sforza View Post
    Westmorland addressed the bishops with a short bow before speaking up, with York opposing him he would really need them as support. Your Eminences. Westmorland began the conversation, Westmorland was dressed in plain and humble clothes with a crucifix around his neck. His Majesty wishes to confirm my marriage to Lady Beaufort and my annulment to Lady Stafford in the eye's of Rome Westmorland said so, ofcourse the Bishops know.

Time to start discussing a strategy to convince the pope Westmorland thought.
    I have some idea's in mind to convince the pope of exactly doing that, will Your Eminences listen to my words? he asked.
    Salisbury and Winchester, having been interrupted from... whatever they were doing, would give their attention to Westmorland. Salisbury speaks for the both of them.

Speak then, Lord Westmorland. After all, we are here to ensure that the King is given satisfaction upon this matter. Whether its one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    York grimaced. "Indeed he has, Your Holiness. However, having questioned him closely in the journey from London, I find the man unrepentant and uncaring for the consequences of his actions - he cares not for the taint of bastardry he has forced upon his children, nor the damage he has done to the King or Lady Beaufort's reputation. Additionally, I find his piety to be false and selfish - a tool rather than true faith.

Perhaps, Your Holiness, if we absolved the Lady Beaufort of her sins but refused to annul Neville's marriage? I do not think King Henry would be so childish as tp back Avignon - certainly he would be angry, but more so at Neville and not enough to force him into bed with a French Puppet Pope."
    (Favorable roll)

The Pope ponders slightly, listening to the words of the Archbishop. From the words of Arundel, a portrait was painted of Westmorland as a unforgiving as Judas was to the Messiah. As the Romans were to their ancestors. All that could be understood was that Neville was a man who sought connection. As a result, he willingly went to the heretic of Avignon to ensure his desires were met. Boniface sighs deeply.

We thank you for your insight, York. To imagine that such a man existed within Christendom... it makes me desire to pray for his deliverance from the hands of the devils that are his ambitions and emotions.

He nods to the Cardinal, making sure that he noted the words of the Archbishop.

We thank Your Eminence for conveying these words. We will deliberate further on the matter as we ponder upon these words of yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast