Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Unit Overhaul Project [WIP]

Default Re: Stainless Steel Unit Overhaul Project [WIP]

I'm off the job for two weeks, I'll try and release pictures of the longbow militia in game though.

Hello, little update:

As you can tell, this project is on hiatus (it is, however, not cancelled or anything), as I am under a tremendous amount of work and I was so addicted to making units that it was beginning to become an impediment I can't allow as of now. I am thus working on changing the battlemap like EBII, RTR 7 or Roma Surrectum have done, which is far less time-consuming and I can work on in chunks without requiring constant research and attention, along with Non-Binary Person, who is making new trees and climates etc.. Tell me if you would like to help.

As for the units, Ltd. has kindly allowed me to use the beautiful MKTW units, which I shall be doing, with of course quite a few modifications when I'm back on the job.

Thank you all for your understanding. I'll be back.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Glad to see you're still working on that project

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MKTW is based on Attila engine which is not compatible with this "old lady" named M2TW engine. I'm not sure that you can just modify these models slightly to adapt them quickly and easily. I think it will requier a bit more work than that (at least for the mesh)
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I haven't yet seen if it works, so I can't tell, but I'll experiment with a model and I'll see! In any case the models and textures will be modified as I can't resist adding my personal touch

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

It is doable if you can export the newer models to .obj, then milkshape can import them.
    The rigging would need to be done anew, I reckon.
    Also, I suspect that model variety does not work quite the same, so more work will need to be done there.
    And finally the textures for all the models would need to be placed in files together, because they are not.
    The point is that if you want to use MKTW models that's a good source of material but it won't speed things up, production wise.

Hello everyone! I have been on vacation for three weeks now and so I paused the work on the heightmap and terrain etc, which is not yet finished, and I have been working on my militia units. I have completely modified unit rosters and so I have decided that for variety's sake I'd have two seperate militia group units for the western factions, and I'll be remodelling my previous models, whom I think look too well equipped for plain militia units.

I am currently working on group 1 spear militia (group 1=castile, aragon, portugal, scotland and england) and, also for variety's sake, I decided to make every faction have specific helmets the others wouldn't. How do I do this?: Merge several helmets together in a single milkshape group and, using the diff texture's alpha channels, have the ones I do not want disappear. It works but I have found a small problem that I have not been able to fix: There often appears (in the case of mergers between large and small models) a thin black outline of the invisible helmets around the non-invisible one, that becomes larger and larger with distance, and I wanted to know if it bothered anyone.

Here is a picture of the Castilian spear militia. I surrounded some of the places where the outlines appear in red and I would like to know what you think of it. Keep in mind that it might not look like much but they will be larger on fullscreen. Tell me what you think and I will act accordingly: either I delete the most visible helmets from the merged groups and I swap them for something else less visible (a smaller one), either it bothers nobody and I leave it as is. I could also give every faction the same helmets but I was really rather happy with the varieties until I noticed the glitch and I would like to keep it.

I hope the image is big enough and of sufficient quality. I have tried to put it in the setting in which the problem is the most obvious. It is a little less so in grass environments. If you have any solutions to this issue, I'd love to hear them!

No idea about the helmets but those spearmen look great!

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

It's certainly not ideal. From what I know, the reason it looks bigger when it's further away is because the game doesn't really "show" the alpha channels at longer distances. Not sure if there's a way around it.

The units look really nice though, as always. Maybe you can use the style from your old militia models as armour upgrades.

Thanks for the feedback! Well the armor upgrades will be era based, so I'll finish early era (no upgrades) before I get to them, and then yes I might use them. My only trouble with my previous units is that they looked (to my eyes) too close to fully professional ones and were too uniform, so that will be changed.

Hello everyone, new unit preview here. I have somewhat changed the way I have done this one compared to my prior units in that I tried to give each faction its own style while trying to keep the militia look compared to the other ones, which I think looked too professional. I also have done about 90% of the texturing myself and had to do all the normal maps by hand: it's time consuming but I think well worthwhile.

I have also changed my unit list to a new one including all factions (except for the Timurids and Fatimids, which I have had a hard time finding info for), that is of course subject to change but allows me to have a greater scope on the project. I will release it later, but I have notably included, for greater diversity and gameplay, different faction-dependent varieties of a same unit: this one is the group 1 spear militia (includes portugal, castile, aragon, scotland and england), and I will later release the other group 1 units, which will use the same texures and models as far as body parts go.

Now a note on the models. They have a very high poly count due to the use of assets from other games, which is why I have decided to make lod levels (shouldn't take me too long). I will also simultaneously be making the unit cards and sprites so that every model is technically ready to be ported in any game. I hope you enjoy the preview and as always all criticism is welcome!

Scotland (yes no more kilts ):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

England:

Aragon:

Castile:

Portugal:

Last edited by MightyPotato; August 23, 2018 at 05:31 PM.

Great units, especially the Spanish. They're very colourful, which I approve of.

I'll give a few suggestions:
    Bohemian Crossbowmen: Crossbows were generally more popular than bows in Bohemia and the Bohemian Hussites in particular were popular for using crossbows and war wagons together. Not saying that bows weren't used, of course, so I'm not suggesting this as a replacement for the Bohemian archers.

Condottieri (Italians): If you want to make a knightly unit with a distinct Italian style, this would be a nice way to do it. They're admittedly more associated with the 1300s and 1400s (full plate and whatnot), but they did exist since the 1200s, which I assume is the cutoff for the early era.

Alemannic Guard (Serbia): Some kind of elite heavy infantry unit.

(Foot) Reichsritter: A rename for the German knights.

Poulain Chevaliers: A rename for the French knights.
    Not sure if you'd need help, but I've been working on some European units. I think we might have a bit of a different unit-making style, but I wouldn't mind lending you some stuff since you seem to have a more ambitious goal than I do. Here's a few pics of my work (which uses assets from other places, mostly the Western Unit Overhaul and CSUR):
    French knight:

German archer:

German knight:
    Last edited by Metal.Pigeon; August 14, 2018 at 01:05 AM.

@Metal.Pigeon Sorry to reply so late, I like your units but indeed I will try and do with assets from a single base (mainly mount and blade) as I am trying to keep the units as uniform in style as possible. I'll upload full rosters for each factions at some point, and the condotierri and poulain knights were planned (only the Poulains are normally for KoJ). However Serbia is not in SS6.4, so I can't add that, and I'll see for the rest, depending on number of unit slots left.

Here is another unit in the continuation of the Spear Militia, this is the Archer Militia for group 1, that took me quite a while to make because I had a hard time adding the bowstring animations. A note on quivers: I chose to have them at the belt and occasional, as back quivers are apparently horrible to use and archers mostly used to place their arrows on the ground, as many manuscripts show.

England:

Scotland:

The other group 1 factions will have crossbow militia instead, which I am going to make soon
    Last edited by MightyPotato; August 23, 2018 at 05:36 PM.

Ah, I saw the word "Serbia" in your first post so I thought you were going to replace one of the other factions. No worries, though.

Regarding back/belt quivers: it wasn't unheard of to put the quiver on the back. I'm pretty sure it wasn't popular in Europe, but maybe doing it would add some visual variety. Here's a pic from the Bayeux tapestry (there are probably some other depictions but this is the only one that I know the name of and that I'm certain has back quivers):

Hey, so this is the finished G1 crossbow militia with fully animated crossbow. This might be the last unit I make for a while, as class starts again on the 3rd of September and I am going to have a ton of work this year, since it is notably exam year and it is going to be a tough one. As for what I shall do in a ways of modding remains uncertain: I plan to continue the SS6.4 terrain overhaul I have been doing for a while now, but that is only if the person assisting with vegetation creation is able to finish making all the plants etc. Otherwise I will be continuing on with the units, working my way to the G2 militias (france, hre, poland, hungary and others), which will take some time; but what is certain is that in both case, progress will be very slow.

Aragon:

Castile:

Portugal:

stoogeofstooges's Avatar Decanus

The quality of the models and textures looks amazing! Have you encountered any issues with M2 crashing due to memory usage during battles? I've been using a lot of high res units from Magyar Mod, Ruischi, Tsardoms, Western Unit Overhaul, Byzantine overhaul, Raaka's Norse Roster, etc. and I'm encountering a lot of crashes during battles that seem to be due to the high res models sucking up all the memory. Running a 2gb graphics card and 16 gigs of ram but I'm unsure of how to fix the issue. Error logs aren't giving me anything.

Hmm I haven't run across any trouble, and I have 4GB RAM, a GTX 960M graphics card (It's a portable computer) and an i5 processor, although I do have occasional lag.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I just watched your work and I congratulate you for the quality of your textures and the credibility of your units!

I also try for some time to rework the SSHIP mod units to eliminate some anachronisms in costumes.
    If you have not looked here yet: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ostumes)/page2

Mighty Potato,

I love your models. I would like to start implementing some of them into my own personal game as soon as possible. As you are going to be taking a break from unit modeling for a while, is it possible that you could release the units that you have completed so far?
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Hi there, thanks both for the feedback ! I have not yet released the units because of several factors:
    - I have not yet credited the people/mods I have used content from, and thus cannot release them now
    - I didn't think anyone would go through the trouble of manually installing them and that I would better release a complete pack instead
    - manually installing them also requires installing animation packs. It is not hard, really (just copying and pasting), but can be intimidating
    - UI cards etc are not made

However I have no problem with sending them to you through private message, just as long as you promise not to use them in any mod you/someone else releases on twcenter until I announce they are free to use. I think it would actually be rather nice to have a few beta testers, so I'll send them ASAP (in a few days), along with the animation files required to make them work and the EDU and ModelDB entries. Instructions on how to manually install units can be found on twcenter, and its basically just copy/pasting. Keep in mind that all SS6.4 unit slots are full and you'll have to delete/replace units if you want mine in game, which can cause trouble with the campaign files. I personally try them out on the CSUR mod, which is basically all vanilla except for the Sicilian Units, so if you want I can send you that instead, but keep in mind that all the factions are different and so it is way incomplete (ie Aragonese units are in the Sicilian roster)

Yes, if you PM me the necessary files, I should be able to mod them into my game. And I would be honored to serve as a beta tester in that way if it is not too much trouble. The only thing I might have trouble with is any models with new animations, but I would like to give them a try as well. If I use Point Blank's brand new RR/RC Ultimate Edition as my base, then wouldn't any new animations most likely have been included by PB already? I believe the new mod is very up-to-date in that way. Anyway, thanks again, and I look forward to implementing and testing your beautiful work!
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast