Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Overhaul Discussion

Default Forum Overhaul Discussion

The following is in- development, thus the reason for posting in within the Curia Main Forum.
    I have been working on this off and on for past year.

It is my understanding that the forum will be upgrading shortly, so any changes will take place at that time.

Goal/ Justification

To increase ease of navigation by reducing the number of forums and subforums on the main forum page.
    Since we can assume CA will continue to make new games, then eventually there will be too many subforums to navigate.

Changes

• The changes based on a Community Focus
    • Subforums are listed rather than given its subsection to reduce the amount of space used.
    • All game forums are listed in discussion rather than put them in separate subforums.
    • Greater prominence is given to the Technical forums. (I noticed that members would often post technical issues in the general forum despite that fact that a technical forum exists. I pushed it above the general discussion forum so that people will see first and post there.)
    • I included the Modding Community and the Historical Community as well. I made slight alterations to both.

These changes were shared with staff members. What you see is the result of those changes.
    I decided to include "all multiplayer gaming" together. (Hotseat, Multiplayer, Role-playing)
    The creative workshop is its own community.
    TWC Library and University are given their own "Super Forum" to promote awareness of their existence.

General Layout
    TOTAL WAR CENTER FORUM ORGANIZATION.
    Official TWC Contests and Tournaments
    Total War & Community News, Previews and Reviews

Total War Technical Discussion & Support
    Total War General Discussion

Modding Community
    Total War History Community
    Creative Workshop (TWC Library/Scriptorium*) Community
    Multiplayer Gaming Community
    Discussion and Debate Community

TWC University (and Library/Scriptorium*)
    Non-Total War Games
    Games, Activities, and Chat

The Capitol (Citizens' Community)
    Supporting TWC
    Administrative Forums

The central organization is
    Admin (top and bottom), Game Forums, Community Forums, Miscellaneous, Resource Forums.
    *I have no personal opinion on where the Scriptorium belongs. it would depend if you want to raise awareness to its existence or not. Perhaps, it is sufficient enough.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Please give feedback
    Last edited by PikeStance; July 09, 2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Grammar and Syntax changes/ minor chages for better clarity.| Moved forum

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: Forum Overhaul Discussion

The TWC Library is not a support forum. I invite you to peruse it and see for yourself.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

What about bringing the TWC Library in the Creative Workshop Community?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

@ Settra: The name is something I just came up with at the moment. Resource Forum can work as well.
    @Lift: it could. I think it serves a greater audience than creative writers. The same is true for the University.
    I think giving them their own super forum would help increase awareness of their existence.

Blog Entries

In the lower third of the list? Not sure it will
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I supposed it can fit between D& D and Non-Total War games forum nicely. It would probably make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    What about bringing the TWC Library in the Creative Workshop Community?
    Yes that would work, though we would have to ask Alwyn and the staff hexxers too. Rename it to the TWC Library and Creative Workshop. Move it where the History Community currently is and merge the latter with Discussion and Debate.

TOTAL WAR CENTER FORUM ORGANIZATION.
    Official TWC Contests and Tournaments
    Total War & Community News, Previews and Reviews

Supporting TWC

Total War Technical Discussion & Support
    Total War General Discussion

Modding Community

Non-Total War Games
    Multiplayer Gaming Community

TWC Library & Creative Workshop Community
    TWC University
    Discussion and Debate Community
    Games, Activities, and Chat

The Capitol (Citizens' Community)
    Administrative Forums

Staff, admin and site support forums. Debate forums. Gaming & modding forums Miscalenous
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 06, 2017 at 06:07 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

^^ Sounds good to me

Thanks for your feedback

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Yes that would work, though we would have to ask Alwyn and the staff hexxers too. Rename it to the TWC Library and Creative Workshop. Move it where the History Community currently is and merge the latter with Discussion and Debate.
    Settra's proposal to bring the TWC Library into the Creative Workshop community and calling it the TWC Library and Creative Workshop sounds good to me.

@Alwyn

I do not have a strong feeling one way or another. However, I am not sure how a repository can be so closely associated with only one community on the forum when it contains articles throughout the forum.
    The nice thing about it being separated is that it will stand out to be noticed. More importantly as something of interest to the community at large as opposed to just one community. Anyway, that was my thoughts on it. I am curious to hear your thoughts on matter

Blog Entries

Several members have already expressed, in another thread on the same topic, their opposition to split the Vestigia Vestutastis due its low traffic. Their argument: splitting it as you're proposing, would split also the audience and would "kill" it. I tend to share their opinion to be honest.

I'm also not convinced that the way you want to create a specific forum for the Library together with the University would help to highlight it. On the other hand, "associating" the Library with the Scriptorium Writters' Study seems logical somehow from my opinion. At least, all "kind of writtings" would be together in one place.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 07, 2017 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Mistakes correction

Several members have already expressed, in another thread on the same topic, their opposition to split the Vestigia Vestutastis due to its low frequentation. Their argument: splitting it as you're proposing, would split also the audience and would "kill" it. I tend to share their opinion, to be honest.
    In the original proposal, several members were in support. I do not recall any strong opposition except for how it was going to be organized (the time periods within the Historical Research forums). At the time of the original proposal, the post frequency was already declining. The purpose of the proposal was to increase its prominence to increase its frequency. Putting all of the historical forums together is the best way to achieve that goal. For a site devoted to a game series which, until recently published exclusively historical titles, this should not be happening. I said before, I do not see in any way putting something in greater visibility will "kill it."

[Small note: the only real opposition to the Historical Community proposal by the membership, Curia, and admin was the Archivum. There were concerns of finding people to perform the roles described in the proposal. If memory serves, I had 3/4 unsolicited volunteers for the positions.]

I'm also not convinced that the way you want to create a specific forum for the Library together with the University would help to highlight it. On the other hand, "associating" the Library with the Scriptorium seems logical somehow from my opinion. At least, all "kind of writings" would be together in one place.
    The Library IS the Scriptorium.

Blog Entries

I didn't say there was a strong opposition. I just said there was an opposition.

Sorry, I meant the Writters' Study, my mistake.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 08, 2017 at 12:01 AM.

The Script and Writer's Study need to be close together out of efficiency and convenience sake. Librarian's and Alwyn's team cooperate on several things and moving from one place to another by the press of a button > having to scroll the main index.

There's also the problem that splitting or merging content sections would never happen unless it was a content decision.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 11, 2017 at 03:07 PM.

The Script and Writer's Study need to be close together out of efficiency and convenience sake. Librarian's and Alwyn's team cooperate on several things and moving from one place to another by the press of a button > having to scroll the main index.
    When I was a Librarian, the Scriptorium was only a place to suggest submission, vote and the Scriptorium itself. I am not sure what you mean by "scrolling." I would think anyone on staff would subscribe to specific forums. Whenever I take on a role and responsibility that add additional permissions for subforums, I subscribe to them so that they are conveniently placed under "My Account." I rarely, if ever, go the front page or the main forum page. If you are not using this feature, I highly recommend that you do. It is very convenient way of navigating the site and seeing the areas of interest easier and faster.

There's also the problem that splitting or merging content sections would never happen unless it was a content decision.
    I am sure the Admin would consider the opinion of Content staff.

-----------------
    I am not "sold" on the Library and the University being together. The same argument could be made for the vault and my proposed Archivum being placed one subforum. For me it s a 6 of one and a half dozen of the other for me. The University being on its own may help "advertise" it though, so removing the Library with it may be something to be considered.

--------

[QUOTE=Lifthrasir;15315644]I didn't say there was a strong opposition. I just said there was an opposition.
    When I red the bold part
    Several members have already expressed.
    The term "several" suggested a strong opposition. it was like 1 1/2 members. Between this overhaul and the original proposal there were 10x more people in favor.

Sorry, I meant the Writters' Study, my mistake.
    Makes more sense now.
    Last edited by PikeStance; May 11, 2017 at 08:10 PM.

Blog Entries

The term "several" suggested a strong opposition. it was like 1 1/2 members. Between this overhaul and the original proposal there were 10x more people in favor.
    I'm convinced that we're not using the same English dictionary
    From Cambridge dictionary:
    Several: separate or different
    From Oxford dictionary:
    Several: More than two but not many. Origin: Late Middle English - from Anglo-Norman French, from medieval Latin separalis, from Latin separ ‘separate, different’.
    @ Settra, I honestly don't think that it would be a problem to gather the Writters' Study and Scriptorium from the administrative side, especially if both Content Directors already agree on the point (which it seems to be the case)
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 12, 2017 at 01:36 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

That's several dictionaries, and not several dictionaries.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I stated there were less than 2. The definition you quoted said 3 or more (more than 2). I am not sure how I sued it differently. That being said, I do not know too many people who would use the term, several, to mean 3 people. The term, few, would be used in that case. if slightly more, the term, a handful of...., would/could be used. None of this matters of course, since there were less than 2 anyway. The original proposal passed 12-3-5. Can we move on?

I am bit bias; I am a Teacher of Historians and would love for the site to provide greater prominence to discussion of history.

Blog Entries

I guess that Iskar and Abdülmecid will be glad to be counted together as less than 2 people
    But agree, I'm disgressing here.

Regarding the matter, giving a greater prominence to the discussion of history, if you have, let's say 20 people posting regularly in the VV at present, don't you think that "splitting" them in different sections (one for each period) would risk to make the history discussion main forum less "active"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea, I'm just trying to see the good and bad sides of this. So basically, with your proposal, the risk could be to have 4 or 5 regular posters in each section, making them (the sections) appearing less active than the current VV in which these 20 regular posters are active together.
    On the other hand, your proposal can make easier the navigation when members are interested by a specific period

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast