Thread: Too much income?

Default Too much income?

I played as the romans and had about 20k+ income each turn, so it became pretty easy to upgrade every region and build strong armies. Then i tried seleucid since i figured rome was supposed to be easy because the mod revolves around them. I play as seleucid and same thing, i have alot of money to spend each turn, and it feels like i am kind of cheating as there is no real threat. Thoughts?

Default Re: Too much income?

This is in RS 3 btw

Quote Originally Posted by Akama96 View Post
    This is in RS 3 btw
    Do you play hard?

I always play hard/hard...LOL

Jokes aside, i find the balancing sum in RS.31. to be fairly accurate.

The legionarys is extremely costly, upgrading takes a long time.
    For me it took about 100 years (200 turns just to be able to purchase early legionaries (not imperial).
    Still have Auxillia, archers, horse archers and so forth just like "the real thing".

Although the Seleucids are a bit to powerful, i find that too is reasonably accurate in whole.
    Although i should estimate that they have 25% to big bonuses in hard setting.

All in whole, i disagree in RS.31 i find it enjoyable to really muster to survive for the 40-50 first years.
    Just like Rome did in real life.
    After 50 years (about 140 BC) things are going to get a little bit easier with Carthage eliminated and Spain subdued.

So i have 120,000 income each turn, i have Italian peninsula, all of the mediterrian, and almost all of spain.
    Now and then takes some slaves from Macedone/Seluucids (just like the romans did after Carrhae).

war has never been this fun with R.S 31. i wish Activison released an updated Rome 2 with this mod in mind.
    Its as close as a textbook roman ancient warfare novel.

High Fist's Avatar Vicarius

Agree with Victoria, once you put down your first few enemies you get some sweet stability to flourish in, but it takes time to get there as Rome.

Same with Seleucids, they're already fairly huge, lots of provinces to make money in. Try some of the smaller nations out, see how they catch your fancy.
    The only self-discipline you need is to finish your sandwiches

I play VH/VH, do you have any factions recommended trying out?

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

You know, I used to think that way, too, that there was too much money that I was making no matter which faction I was playing, though the creators of this mod, with DVK among them, always insisted that the system was well-thought, well-tested and well-balanced.

Having played a little bit more I must say that I got to agree with them, the economical system in RS3 is indeed well-balanced.

The core of this system are 'the home regions' where the player always has a chance to generate a decent profit that lets him expand his empire at the beginning of the game. What constitutes the home region is always a capital city of each faction plus a few surrounding provinces.

At the later stage of a campaign things, however, get tougher since the newly conquered provinces are not generating so much income while the bigger empire requires a bigger army to defend it and to expand it, plus larger bureaucratic apparatus to maintain it, and thus larger costs.

To keep that economical balance in the game you need to follow certain rules, though:

1) NEVER set your taxes to very high, I normally keep it at medium or if I see that I make too much money I put it down to low in most settlements, if not all.

2) Make sure there is always at least one governor in each settlement

3) If you see that your coffers are overflowing with precious coins then use them! Support your allies with extra income by offering them money through diplomacy, or if you see that certain factions are getting weaker splash some 10K per turn for 10 turns on them. That would make both your economy more balanced and the game in general.

Regarding the factions that you may want to play, check Macedonia or Pontus. Those were my last two campaigns and both were very interesting and, in my opinion, well-balanced. I play 1-turn.

Ohhh... and one more thing, NEVER EVER play on very hard/ very hard. It is really buggy and it's strongly advisable not to do that. Play on hard/hard.

Thanks for the reply's guys, gonna have a go at Macedon on H/H. Thanks alot!

I enjoyed having no-governor Very High taxes everywhere on my minimum generals run.

Though with the right governor setup, you can push some settlements to the population cap that wouldn't get there otherwise. And the multiplicative tax bonus while nice on a 32,000 population city, is even bigger when you're talking about 280,000 population cities.
    Last edited by Alavaria; April 29, 2017 at 11:26 AM.

A fun faction could be Syracuse 1 turn (from the swap file) - if you feel like they get too much money, you can adjust their income in de export_descr building ~ it's nice to play with roma and carthage as early on enemies...and Rome is more than capable of sending impressive stacks towards sicily in the early game.

PS a note: correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought VH/VH was bugged; H/H being the hardest setting.

Have fun campaigning!

Quote Originally Posted by I3enjaIvIin View Post
    PS a note: correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought VH/VH was bugged; H/H being the hardest setting.
    Very Hard for campaign is bugged, but Very Hard on battle is working just fine.

Just that some people think that giving all AI attacks +7 stat is a bit much.