Thread: Any way I can help the development?

Icon5 Any way I can help the development?

Hello,

I am a programmer by profession and a huge history buff, is there any way I can help the team on development or research?

I would be happy to help make this project a reality faster and enjoy Roman campaign with Attila's features
    "It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it."
    -Robert E. Lee

Default Re: Any way I can help the development?

Quote Originally Posted by betoelbicho View Post
    Hello,

I am a programmer by profession and a huge history buff, is there any way I can help the team on development or research?

I would be happy to help make this project a reality faster and enjoy Roman campaign with Attila's features
    If you are a programmer by profession (and would rather code than do database editing work or game design) then the best area you could work would be the lua scripts, which unfortunately aren't a blocking area. Finishing the lua scripts isn't likely to make the mod release any faster, as the mod can release without manpower etc.

I think what we'd really need to get the mod moving is people who are willing to do the game design and database editing to implement more campaign effects. At the current rate of development I'd be surprised if AE ever completes... there's not even a playable test campaign or any sort of minimum viable product yet.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    If you are a programmer by profession (and would rather code than do database editing work or game design) then the best area you could work would be the lua scripts, which unfortunately aren't a blocking area. Finishing the lua scripts isn't likely to make the mod release any faster, as the mod can release without manpower etc.

I think what we'd really need to get the mod moving is people who are willing to do the game design and database editing to implement more campaign effects. At the current rate of development I'd be surprised if AE ever completes... there's not even a playable test campaign or any sort of minimum viable product yet.

This being the case.

1. I remeber reading someone stating this database editing is not too hard to learn... just rather tedious.

Could someone make a how to video on you tube video, specifically for AE.

2. Could the data base work be broken up into "bitesize chunks" of work.

3. People watch video and than choose a piece of work to complete from a list you post.

4. All chunks are sent back to be integrated tested.

This way we could all realistically assist with a rather dull but neccessary task.

This is really sad to hear but I had pretty much deduced as much from following this project since inception. Does it need a big shake up of the team and how things are done? It is so far from original Attila release hype now I fear by the time it comes out the next big thing will be around, or Attila itself will be so old it will be like playing Rome 1 is these days.

RTW 2 graphics are about unplayable. I`ve installed and removed rtw2 countless times from steam as the graphics make the game unplayable at anything but up close.
    Attila is a huge step up from RTW2`s. Not only graphical. It plays so smooth for a total war game. I dont see Attila get outdated within the next 3-4 years. It is an underplayed game and a shame it does not have the setting Ancient empires will go for.
    I`ll bet Attila would be played 3x as much on steam if it just had the right setting/time period that appeals more players.

If database editing is what will push the project forward then I'm up to it, this engine needs to be enjoyed on the proposed time period, this database editing is something different from the .pack editors like pfm?
    -Robert E. Lee

PFM editors is pretty much what we need, a few startpos editors too probably. I'll get back to you all next week as I've got a lot of work to do for uni right now.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    PFM editors is pretty much what we need, a few startpos editors too probably. I'll get back to you all next week as I've got a lot of work to do for uni right now.

Ok! don't forget about us after your uni projects, and please let me know how I can help, thank you
    -Robert E. Lee

Don't worry I won't

OdinSon's Avatar Foederatus

Hey, I have a fair bit of experience with db editing if you need the help.

Quote Originally Posted by klunny10 View Post
    This being the case.

1. I remeber reading someone stating this database editing is not too hard to learn... just rather tedious.

Could someone make a how to video on you tube video, specifically for AE.

2. Could the data base work be broken up into "bitesize chunks" of work.

3. People watch video and than choose a piece of work to complete from a list you post.

4. All chunks are sent back to be integrated tested.

This way we could all realistically assist with a rather dull but neccessary task.
    This is a great idea BTW, making a vid or doc about each needed part and we can divide the data editing work.

How would we integrate the different files though? Is there a tool for this or would someone still have to check the files one by one?
    Last edited by betoelbicho; May 02, 2017 at 12:29 PM.
    -Robert E. Lee

We'd still need to personally check all the files and make them all compatible.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by betoelbicho View Post
    This is a great idea BTW, making a vid or doc about each needed part and we can divide the data editing work.

How would we integrate the different files though? Is there a tool for this or would someone still have to check the files one by one?
    Here's something that might help, though I know nothing about~:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5CLIfQv4hI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLht...948lmmOuxRd66q

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Delete post please.