Thread: Quick Question about Fire and Advance Drill

Icon5 Quick Question about Fire and Advance Drill

Hi Everyone,

I have tried to mod this worthless technology, but to no avail. Every test I do in single battle shows the unit that uses this drill getting decimated by the opposing force. I cannot find a way to increase its effectiveness. The only thing that was allowed was a morale bonus, but this does not prevent men from being gunned down. I even tried lowering the reload rate, which was allowed, and they still lost badly.

I wanted to give them some kind of advantage. For example, increased accuracy, but only for THIS particular formation, or better armor protection since they are more spread out, but nothing I change is accepted by the game and it crashes. I am thinking about removing this useless tech, along with "wedge" and "diamond" formation -- both of which failed miserably compared to a standard two line cavalry charge by any cavalry unit.

Does someone know how to mod this fire drill to make it worth researching, or is it hardcoded and just useless?

Hope someone has a quick answer. Thanks in advance!

Nord

Default Re: Quick Question about Fire and Advance Drill

Well, nothing works except "morale_bonus", but this applies to every unit in the army. I don't know if there is a separate table of accepted values located somewhere else that I need to find and modify. I haven't seen one, so I changed diamond formation to "cavalry tactics" with a plus one morale bonus, and diamond formation to "improved cavalry tactics" with a plus 3 morale bonus, giving a total of plus 4 morale for researching those two techs, but the morale bonus applies to all units on the battlefield. I also removed those formations from the unit formations table, as they are terrible on the field. At least these two techs are worth researching now, but I might be less inclined to sell them to other nations for pennies on the dollar.